Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 AM

449 posts, read 1,393,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I pay a 3% Etax here. I'm fine with it because I can't feel it. I used to feel those County Property taxes dues on Dec 31 every year (we don't have personal prop tax here).

A few bucks every week or $800 at the end of the year?

It all evens out though. I still don't get why people hate the etax so much. It's just not a big deal.
I think the reason why some people object to the tax is because they feel they get nothing for it. Kansas City is the only town I ever lived in that had an earnings tax but at the same time my city services there worse than any other place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 05:53 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
I has I have been "KC"-ized over that past 6 years. I went to St. Louis last week - I was amazed at how many people were walking around downtown (yes there were sporting events), but even outside of that there was foot traffic. I was amazed at how many people were walking around WashU area, etc. This is not Chicago we are talking about - but Saint Louis (a city of comparable size to us).

KC just doesn't even compare for pedestrian traffic and downtown activity. That is something I miss quite a bit from the East Coast. People just kind of stick to their subdivisions here...probably because everything is so "family" oriented. But if your a yuppie couple with no desire for kids...it's a bit of a drag.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:38 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I has I have been "KC"-ized over that past 6 years. I went to St. Louis last week - I was amazed at how many people were walking around downtown (yes there were sporting events), but even outside of that there was foot traffic. I was amazed at how many people were walking around WashU area, etc. This is not Chicago we are talking about - but Saint Louis (a city of comparable size to us).

KC just doesn't even compare for pedestrian traffic and downtown activity. That is something I miss quite a bit from the East Coast. People just kind of stick to their subdivisions here...probably because everything is so "family" oriented. But if your a yuppie couple with no desire for kids...it's a bit of a drag.
So what's the alternative to people just kind of sticking to their subdivisions?

If family orientation bothers you, I'd hate to see you in some other mostly smaller cities, like OKC, Tulsa, or Omaha. May I ask what part of KC you're in?

I agree with you about St. Louis. I was very impressed with the foot traffic downtown and in most areas I was in (Forest Park, Delmar Loop, Central West End).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccahornbacher View Post
What Do You Hate About Kansas City?
The insecurity complex exhibited about the city by certain types, such as minimization of the cow town history and excessive worrying what others, such as those on the coasts, think or know about Kansas City.

The lack of country bars or country types being included in the urban core, and the prejudice toward those same people in urban KC. I would love to see the West Bottoms be something like the Fort Worth Stockyards. Insert "blue collar" and I basically feel the same.

I'm not fond of the stark racial and social class divides, such as Troost. One side of Troost is 90% black and the other 90% white. One block east of Troost houses cost $100,000.00 more.

Another thing I don't like is the lack of a middle-of-the-road middle class or just plain old, average people, in the urban core. Like Olathe or Lee's Summit or Liberty. I love the urban environment, but it is lacking socially in that regard.

I also don't like the fact there aren't average, typical chain restaurants and stores in the urban core. Affordable, relaxed places like Outback Steakhouse and stores like Target and Walmart are majorly lacking.

Overall, I think I would like Kansas City a lot better, especially the urban core, if it was everything it is now but doubled in population by infusing a cross section of Johnson County's population into it. And honestly, I think that's basically what Kansas City was in its glory days.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
So what's the alternative to people just kind of sticking to their subdivisions?

If family orientation bothers you, I'd hate to see you in some other mostly smaller cities, like OKC, Tulsa, or Omaha. May I ask what part of KC you're in?

I agree with you about St. Louis. I was very impressed with the foot traffic downtown and in most areas I was in (Forest Park, Delmar Loop, Central West End).
I wouldn't say family orientation bothers me per say. It just seems like kids rule their parents' lives around here...maybe that's everywhere, though. When I was a kid (25 years ago) my parents had personal lives and hung out with friends and let us do our thing (as long as we were doing well in school, staying out of trouble).

I live in Overland Park now, but I do miss living in a more urban area....we made a comprise for now while we sought something more our speed. My SO and I are exploring some relocation options to include New York, Philadelphia, DC, or possibly Boston. I like KC a lot, no doubt - I think it offers a great deal of value. But you can't argue that it's a bit square. The local music scene is somewhat quiet. I am the only person in my office without kids and trying to get people out for an extended happy hour is like trying to pull teeth.

A decade ago I may have tried to live in a place like Omaha...now that I am a bit more attuned to the lifestyle I want it is probably out of the question unless I was being paid very, very handsomely.

As for the alternative of sticking to subdivisions...how about venturing out and living a bit?

Last edited by KC_Sleuth; 04-11-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 04-12-2014, 01:43 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:

I go to St Louis now about 1/month on business. I have never thought it had more pedestrian activity than KC. Seems pretty much the same. There are nodes of activity, heavily influenced by time of day, but there are probably only 2 districts in either city with a steady stream of foot traffic and people around, and that experience that has held true in every mid-sized city I've ever been to. By and large St Louis seems downright sleepy or even vacant most of the time. Ditto KC. I think people get a little "grass is greener" syndrome. I have certainly heard similar claims about KC (usually couched as "Why is/I can't believe KC is/seems so much busier/livelier than St Louis") from St Louisans I know who visit and happen to hit downtown on the "right" night or are around the Plaza or Westport, especially when they've been holed up in St Louis during winter and are over here during one of the first spring weekends...

Old 04-12-2014, 01:45 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
I think KC being far more suburban dominated than other cities of its size plays into this along with more social conservatism/earlier first age if marriage OR having a kid at a young age. Other cities just have a large professional culture that are not as interested in living in a slow paced suburb and having to drive long distances everywhere. A better balance is probably more ideal.

Quote:
I wouldn't say family orientation bothers me per say. It just seems like kids rule their parents' lives around here...maybe that's everywhere, though. When I was a kid (25 years ago) my parents had personal lives and hung out with friends and let us do our thing (as long as we were doing well in school, staying out of trouble).

I live in Overland Park now, but I do miss living in a more urban area....we made a comprise for now while we sought something more our speed. My SO and I are exploring some relocation options to include New York, Philadelphia, DC, or possibly Boston. I like KC a lot, no doubt - I think it offers a great deal of value. But you can't argue that it's a bit square. The local music scene is somewhat quiet. I am the only person in my office without kids and trying to get people out for an extended happy hour is like trying to pull teeth.

A decade ago I may have tried to live in a place like Omaha...now that I am a bit more attuned to the lifestyle I want it is probably out of the question unless I was being paid very, very handsomely.

As for the alternative of sticking to subdivisions...how about venturing out and living a bit?

Old 04-12-2014, 01:51 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think KC being far more suburban dominated than other cities of its size
Except...it's not.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:51 PM

377 posts, read 569,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I also don't like the fact there aren't average, typical chain restaurants and stores in the urban core. Affordable, relaxed places like Outback Steakhouse and stores like Target and Walmart are majorly lacking.

Overall, I think I would like Kansas City a lot better, especially the urban core, if it was everything it is now but doubled in population by infusing a cross section of Johnson County's population into it. And honestly, I think that's basically what Kansas City was in its glory days.
Seriously? That's precisely what I like about urban KC: the lack of the soulless, carbon-copy chains that have turned most of the country into one identical interstate business loop. It's more than enough to have 3 national office supply chains on Main in Midtown (don't know how that happened) along with Starbucks; I don't need Target or Outback in the urban core. If I want them, I'll go to the burbs.

One of the true pleasures of living in a real city is the unique, local character of it. Even the corporate inanity of the P&L can't ruin it.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I go to St Louis now about 1/month on business. I have never thought it had more pedestrian activity than KC. Seems pretty much the same. There are nodes of activity, heavily influenced by time of day, but there are probably only 2 districts in either city with a steady stream of foot traffic and people around, and that experience that has held true in every mid-sized city I've ever been to. By and large St Louis seems downright sleepy or even vacant most of the time. Ditto KC. I think people get a little "grass is greener" syndrome. I have certainly heard similar claims about KC (usually couched as "Why is/I can't believe KC is/seems so much busier/livelier than St Louis") from St Louisans I know who visit and happen to hit downtown on the "right" night or are around the Plaza or Westport, especially when they've been holed up in St Louis during winter and are over here during one of the first spring weekends...
The area and neighborhoods and metro transit stops around WashU seemed much more busy than UMKC ever is (not including plaza traffic). Maybe I caught it on the right day but it seemed like there were a lot more people on Delmar visiting local college shops than the shops near UMKC (where the Muddys used to be). Also, downtown arenas/stadiums definitely add to the foot traffic on trains, and we were heading to a Blues game so that might account for if as well.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:57 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Kansas City, Missouri's sales tax is already about 8.5 percent. They are wanting to add another 1 percent for roads. Missouri House endorses 1-cent sales tax for roads - KansasCity.com There will be more taxes with the streetcar line and those living closest will pay a 1 percent tax. And sales tax on the Plaza will be over 11 percent.

And then add to that the fact that Kansas City imposes 1 percent city tax on anyone who works or lives in Kansas City.

Suddenly the Johnson County taxes, where I actually see my tax dollars at work, don't sound so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City