Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 AM

148 posts, read 403,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood1999 View Post
The lack of mountains make it not for me. I also don't like the fact that the rivers are an unflattering brown color. Other than that I liked it alot when I went to school close to KC. I like the clear water and mountains here in VA.
Missouri has some of the clearest and highest quality floating water in the country, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 08:57 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
KC really needs to start focusing more highly on infill projects, downtown residential, increasing density, and other such issues. I know kcmo is a cheerleader for all of the new sprawly suburban developments in kcmo in Clay and Platte counties, but all of that development is just very low density.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I don't care about the e-tax, but the personal property tax on cars is something I've never gotten used to since moving here.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
KC really needs to start focusing more highly on infill projects, downtown residential, increasing density, and other such issues. I know kcmo is a cheerleader for all of the new sprawly suburban developments in kcmo in Clay and Platte counties, but all of that development is just very low density.
More infill needs to happen but downtown has converted nearly 100 buildings to lofts over last 10 years, increasing population but yeah not much new construction. The Plaza area has added a few midrises and did some infill.

http://216.119.82.16/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2010-Housing-Data-Sheet-3rd-Quarter1.pdf (broken link)

But yeah, the core and inner ring burbs need to double and with new construction, not building conversions. Now that downtown doesn't have much left to convert and there is high demand for downtown living, new construction should be on the plate next. Unfortunately lease rates will likely have to rise to justify new construction costs. It made sense that they did the building conversions at first since they were available and cheaper than new construction.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
More infill needs to happen but downtown has converted nearly 100 buildings to lofts over last 10 years, increasing population but yeah not much new construction. The Plaza area has added a few midrises and did some infill.

http://216.119.82.16/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2010-Housing-Data-Sheet-3rd-Quarter1.pdf (broken link)

But yeah, the core and inner ring burbs need to double and with new construction, not building conversions. Now that downtown doesn't have much left to convert and there is high demand for downtown living, new construction should be on the plate next. Unfortunately lease rates will likely have to rise to justify new construction costs. It made sense that they did the building conversions at first since they were available and cheaper than new construction.
A way to increase density in inner ring suburbs would be more condex and multi story townhouse buildings as these housing options have been increasing in popularity in other parts of the country. Condex developments have been very common in Waukesha county, WI and that is a fairly suburban area. I agree that new construction for infill development will have to have the necessary demand to succeed in some cases, but I don't see that to be a big problem overall given overall population within the vicinity. Pricing is not a big issue as one can choose to spend as much or as little as possible depending on income and budget in much of KC.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:54 PM

Condex is an interesting idea with no HOAs but don't those developments tend to be duplexes? I suppose if they could be done with a tight rowhouse type of style in the city. Could work well as infill for the burbs though.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Condex is an interesting idea with no HOAs but don't those developments tend to be duplexes? I suppose if they could be done with a tight rowhouse type of style in the city. Could work well as infill for the burbs though.
No, the newer condexes I have seen have been colonial style two stories. Do a google maps streetview tour of Waukesha county to see examples. I have even seen them in rural areas of NH in low density environments on large lots. HOAs could go either way. Rowhouses would be good for infill as well.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:10 PM

This is the Milll Creek Terrace condos in KC that is not bad for infill type housing. Parking is in the rear. I think they have HOAs though, like normal condos, not the condex format. Might work as condex format though. Is similar to a modern 3 level rowhouse, but no stoop.

rooftop decks on each unit, garage access from rear..
4536 J C Nichols Parkway, Kansas City, MO 64111 | Listing Information | Kansas City Homes for Sale with Reece & Nichols.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Personal property tax is the price we pay for having a very low state gas tax. I actually prefer it because it is a tax that doesn't punish poor people more than rich people (we all need gas, but we don't all need $40,000 cars)

Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 AM

MO roads and bridges need improvement though and best way is to fund is raise gas tax. Most anti-tax people at least favor a 'use tax' over a general tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City