Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 23,739 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from a north Dallas suburb to the Kansas City area to work in Overland Park. I know that housing is more costly but we are going to look at downsizing our house since our children are grown. I have heard that the costs of living in Johnson county are higher than living in a county south or west of Johnson county. I have also heard that living in Belton or another community in Missouri is even better from a cost standpoint.

As we may be relocating again in 2 years we want to buy in a place where we will be able to get our money back from our investment. We also want a decent Church of Christ and the only ones I have seen of more than 300 are in Overland Park or Olathe.

We would love a small town feel, where we could have 1/2 acre with some scenery and a nice 2500 sq ft. house with a full basement for about 200k. I am willing to commute 20 - 30 minutes each way for the right town.

What are your suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 12,423 times
Default Kansas City Relocation

There are several problems with Overland Park-Olathe, aside from the cost of living, taxes, etc. My husband works for a company that has stores in four suburbs of Kansas City. The Overland Park store is universally disliked by company employees because of the customers. Unfortunately, Overland Park has become over-populated with the gotta-have-it-right-now generation. In the stores, on the local thoroughfares, in restaurants, Overland Park people are generally viewed as rude, spoiled, arrogant and obnoxious, even by people who have lived there a long time. You can get a really nice house in a serene, established neighborhood outside of Overland Park along the state line on either the Kansas or Missouri side. Missouri taxes are less. Houses on both sides have a "southern" feel although our winters are colder than Texas. If you're going to be working in Overland Park, it's only 30 minutes from Independence, Missouri or Lee's Summit. Traffic in and out of Lee's Summit is mean and ugly. South of the 435 Loop along South Wornall, South State Line Road -- pretty nice. Prairie Village -- real nice. East Kansas City in the area east of Raytown and west of Lee's Summit is very hilly and pastoral and is a 30-minute drive to Overland Park -- called "O-P" by locals. You might want to check that area out. There are new developments going in soon along south Noland Road. We see deer and wild turkey there frequently. That side of the state line is always a little cooler in the summer than Kansas, and the winters are a little less rigorous than the Kansas side. One wouldn't think there would be that much difference, but it's across the Blue River, among the hills and is heavily wooded. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2007, 04:46 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,657,478 times
Post Established Suburbs and Neighborhoods are a good bet!

If 200K is your price range I would highly recommend the established suburbs in Johnson County. Some areas that are good include Prairie Village, and central areas of Overland Park. I would definitely avoid the newer areas of Overland Park, Olathe, Gardner, and Lee's Summit. The prices in the newer areas tend to be fairly high and the quality of construction on most of the houses is cheap. The newer developments are mostly ugly cookie cutter houses as well with very few shade trees for the most part. Kansas City is at the intersection of three different regions. It is the edge of the plains, south, and midwest. Anyway, for 200-250K you can find a nice 3-4 bedroom house in an established neighborhood in central and northern areas of Johnson County with good shade trees, some sidewalks, and a good school system. If you can I would avoid living too close to a major highway because the noise can be quite loud as well.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:53 PM

Thumbs down I do not like sprawling suburbs either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena Thayer View Post
There are several problems with Overland Park-Olathe, aside from the cost of living, taxes, etc. My husband works for a company that has stores in four suburbs of Kansas City. The Overland Park store is universally disliked by company employees because of the customers. Unfortunately, Overland Park has become over-populated with the gotta-have-it-right-now generation. In the stores, on the local thoroughfares, in restaurants, Overland Park people are generally viewed as rude, spoiled, arrogant and obnoxious, even by people who have lived there a long time. You can get a really nice house in a serene, established neighborhood outside of Overland Park along the state line on either the Kansas or Missouri side. Missouri taxes are less. Houses on both sides have a "southern" feel although our winters are colder than Texas. If you're going to be working in Overland Park, it's only 30 minutes from Independence, Missouri or Lee's Summit. Traffic in and out of Lee's Summit is mean and ugly. South of the 435 Loop along South Wornall, South State Line Road -- pretty nice. Prairie Village -- real nice. East Kansas City in the area east of Raytown and west of Lee's Summit is very hilly and pastoral and is a 30-minute drive to Overland Park -- called "O-P" by locals. You might want to check that area out. There are new developments going in soon along south Noland Road. We see deer and wild turkey there frequently. That side of the state line is always a little cooler in the summer than Kansas, and the winters are a little less rigorous than the Kansas side. One wouldn't think there would be that much difference, but it's across the Blue River, among the hills and is heavily wooded. Good luck!
I dislike Olathe even more because it has the WORST urban planning I have seen compared with most other cities in the region. The Santa Fe corridor is horribly crowded with strip malls, big box stores, and every other store possible on one big street. Also, the Interstate 35 traffic continues to get worse every year along with Interstate 69. The state of Kansas does not have enough money to improve the infrastructure on some of the highways either. Property taxes have increased as well because the mill levy rate for the schools continue to rise. Olathe and Gardner are also EXTREMELY conservative, even more so than Overland Park. If you look at the demographics you will find that over 30% of the population in Olathe and Gardner is under the age of 18. Of course they demand more schools/infrastructure to be built again because they seem to think that any growth is good in these areas.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:41 PM

75 posts, read 353,719 times
Actually, if you are working in Overland Park, taking 150 from Lee's Summit is a nice scenic route...less stress than 470/435. Also, 95th street is another quick path however, I enjoy the rolling hills on 150 better.

If you are serious about relocating, you might visit Lee's Summit, MO yourself to see if you like it.

Thanks,
Ronda Marchant

Old 05-30-2007, 07:45 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,406,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I dislike Olathe even more because it has the WORST urban planning I have seen compared with most other cities in the region. The Santa Fe corridor is horribly crowded with strip malls, big box stores, and every other store possible on one big street. Also, the Interstate 35 traffic continues to get worse every year along with Interstate 69. The state of Kansas does not have enough money to improve the infrastructure on some of the highways either. Property taxes have increased as well because the mill levy rate for the schools continue to rise. Olathe and Gardner are also EXTREMELY conservative, even more so than Overland Park. If you look at the demographics you will find that over 30% of the population in Olathe and Gardner is under the age of 18. Of course they demand more schools/infrastructure to be built again because they seem to think that any growth is good in these areas.
Plains, do you mean Interstate 29? Unless Kansas City is now in Indiana, Interstate 69 begins in Indianapolis and ends in Michigan.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 AM

Post I-69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Plains, do you mean Interstate 29? Unless Kansas City is now in Indiana, Interstate 69 begins in Indianapolis and ends in Michigan.
No, I-69 runs through Johnson County KS, straight south through the southeast corner of Kansas.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 AM

75 posts, read 108,883 times
Plains, that's actually not Interstate 69 - it is U.S. Highway 69 that runs through OP.

It's confusing because it does drop into, and meshes with, Interstate 35 - but our 69 highway isn't an interstate unto itself.

Essentially, US 69 is Route 69, we just don't call it that.

U.S. Route 69 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Lolls; 05-31-2007 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: My grammar is atrocious

Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 PM

Post Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolls View Post
Plains, that's actually not Interstate 69 - it is U.S. Highway 69 that runs through OP.

It's confusing because it does drop into, and meshes with, Interstate 35 - but our 69 highway isn't an interstate unto itself.

Essentially, US 69 is Route 69, we just don't call it that.

U.S. Route 69 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK, I should have done a little more research! Anyway, a lot of people I know still call it I-69 anyway. I can understand why it is a U.S. highway.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:28 PM

75 posts, read 353,719 times
"As we may be relocating again in 2 years we want to buy in a place where we will be able to get our money back from our investment. We also want a decent Church of Christ and the only ones I have seen of more than 300 are in Overland Park or Olathe."

It usually holds very true that you will get more home for your money on the Missouri side. Lee's Summit will be a good place to resale in a couple of years and it's such a growing community w/ a great school district.

I attend Lee's Summit Community Church and love it! The website is:
Welcome to Lee's Summit Community Church.

I've been in this area ALL of my life so I'm open to help you w/ any questions you might have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City