Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,474,708 times

Advertisements

Does anyone think that the lenexa city center will be cool?Fun?Boring? As for me, I think it will be fun. Too bad it will be done in what, like 11 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 01:39 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
Does anyone think that the lenexa city center will be cool?Fun?Boring? As for me, I think it will be fun. Too bad it will be done in what, like 11 years.
I have a friend who lives in Lenexa, and she thinks it's stupid to try and build something remotely urban in JoCo. But that's the general mentality in JoCo.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:39 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I have a friend who lives in Lenexa, and she thinks it's stupid to try and build something remotely urban in JoCo. But that's the general mentality in JoCo.
I don't think she means that really, maybe she thinks it is too urban for JOCO. But as I said, I would think that it would be pretty cool.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
If it's anything like the legends, it will be boring and lame. But JoCo people will love it, just like they love the legends. .

Old 08-08-2009, 02:12 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,505,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
If it's anything like the legends, it will be boring and lame. But JoCo people will love it, just like they love the legends. .
You don't actually talk to too many people from JoCo, do you? I'm sorry to keep giving you a hard time, kcmo, but it really would be nice if you stuck to talking about the things with which you actually have knowledge and experience (because you have great input on those subjects) and stopped trying to speak for an area and people you don't know.

I would get crucified on this board if I tried to speak for residents downtown, the Plaza, or in the MO burbs. Especially if I spoke as disparagingly about them as you often do about JoCo's residents.

Re The Legends: I don't think the Legends has the draw from JoCo that it had hoped for. Some stores have already closed down. Even Nebraska Furniture is hardly worth the drive as other places in JoCo get more competitive. But many of the places are still new and will draw for a while. The west parts of Lenexa and Shawnee don't have much for shopping and restaurants, so that will keep the legends hopping at least for a while.

But they do need to stay on top of the unsupervised teen issues they've been having or they will soon suffer one or two ugly incidents that will turn JoCo shoppers away for good.

As for Lenexa trying something like that, it could work. <shrug> A shopping center on the West side of Lenexa would probably do well. I don't know what else is planned though. Are there any details proposed yet?

Old 08-08-2009, 02:28 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
If they do something more in line with Zona Rosa, it will be fine. I just hate the Legends. It's in the middle of absolute nowhere, it's not a mixed use urban development like Zona Rosa is. It's a "lifestyle" center. Basically an inside out strip mall.

The Lenexa project will be at least near a growing suburban population, SMP etc and I believe it will have residential etc. But don't kid yourself, JoCo it what keeps the Legends going. NFM is a metrowide draw, but the tbones, legends etc it 80% JoCo. MO is too far away and WyCo doesn't have the population or demographics to support it.

Plus, the VW area is always one of the tops things to do in KC if you ask a JoCo person what to do while in KC.

I know, you are not in that crowd. Congrats.

If they do build City Center in Lenexa, it will be the beginning of the end for Legends. KCK simply can not support all that retail and that level of retail alone.

But it's a pretty lame area. I don't see waht people see in it. It's ok, but not really worth the drive. But I"m not a shopping type person.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
If they do something more in line with Zona Rosa, it will be fine. I just hate the Legends. It's in the middle of absolute nowhere, it's not a mixed use urban development like Zona Rosa is. It's a "lifestyle" center. Basically an inside out strip mall.
Agreed. But that's what it was meant to be. As a former resident of West Shawnee, it was nice to have a few more restaurant and shopping options. But once the novelty wears off and more options become available for JoCo residents, the picture at Legends will certainly change.

I do give credit to WyCo for trying though. And they have several good years ahead of them. More if they continue to make more out of that area.

Quote:
The Lenexa project will be at least near a growing suburban population, SMP etc and I believe it will have residential etc. But don't kid yourself, JoCo it what keeps the Legends going. NFM is a metrowide draw, but the tbones, legends etc it 80% JoCo. MO is too far away and WyCo doesn't have the population or demographics to support it.
Agreed.

Quote:
Plus, the VW area is always one of the tops things to do in KC if you ask a JoCo person what to do while in KC.
I've never heard anyone suggest the Legends as a top thing to do in KC. You are making things up again. Stick to what you know, please.

Quote:
If they do build City Center in Lenexa, it will be the beginning of the end for Legends. KCK simply can not support all that retail and that level of retail alone.
Could be. It will certainly change things and present a challenge for them.

Quote:
But it's a pretty lame area. I don't see waht people see in it. It's ok, but not really worth the drive. But I"m not a shopping type person.
It's your run-of-the-mill shops and restaurants. For me, it's not much different than Zona Rosa or Town Center. Zona Rosa has more of my favorite stores closer together, and Town Center has that and more of my favorite restaurants closer together. But for what it is, and as close as it was, it's not a bad place to shop/eat.

I wouldn't consider it a tourist spot and I don't know anyone who does any more or less than ZR or TC. Cabelas is nice if you are into that and NFM if you are in the market for something they have.

Now CC Plaza I would consider a tourist spot in and of itself. It has a charm and life all it's own. The rest will never compare.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:39 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
You don't actually talk to too many people from JoCo, do you? I'm sorry to keep giving you a hard time, kcmo, but it really would be nice if you stuck to talking about the things with which you actually have knowledge and experience (because you have great input on those subjects) and stopped trying to speak for an area and people you don't know.

I would get crucified on this board if I tried to speak for residents downtown, the Plaza, or in the MO burbs. Especially if I spoke as disparagingly about them as you often do about JoCo's residents.

Re The Legends: I don't think the Legends has the draw from JoCo that it had hoped for. Some stores have already closed down. Even Nebraska Furniture is hardly worth the drive as other places in JoCo get more competitive. But many of the places are still new and will draw for a while. The west parts of Lenexa and Shawnee don't have much for shopping and restaurants, so that will keep the legends hopping at least for a while.

But they do need to stay on top of the unsupervised teen issues they've been having or they will soon suffer one or two ugly incidents that will turn JoCo shoppers away for good.

As for Lenexa trying something like that, it could work. <shrug> A shopping center on the West side of Lenexa would probably do well. I don't know what else is planned though. Are there any details proposed yet?
I've been away for 19 years (gosh - it just doesn't seem possible. Seems like like yesterday I was enjoying The Woodlands in its inaugural year). Can you fill me in on what "the Legends" is?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I've been away for 19 years (gosh - it just doesn't seem possible. Seems like like yesterday I was enjoying The Woodlands in its inaugural year). Can you fill me in on what "the Legends" is?
It's in the same basic area as Woodlands. On the other side of the highway there is now a big Nascar track, a Cabelas (like a Bass Pro shop) Nebraska Furniture Mart (The Walmart of furniture buying - HUGE store) and Wolf (Something) Lodge which is kind of a small scale resort-type of hotel. Then there is a Schlitterbahn water park on the Woodlands side of the road that is going in as we speak. I think parts of it are open now.

Then there is a large shopping center in the middle of it all - big fountain with a few corridors of shops around it, movie theater, and then several theme-y restaurants. Sprinkled within all of these are other stand-alone restaurants and a few shops, hotels, fast food.

Did I miss anything?

For surrounding residential areas it provides a nice selection of shopping and eats. The movie theater is decent, but does get some rowdy teens.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
It's in the same basic area as Woodlands. On the other side of the highway there is now a big Nascar track, a Cabelas (like a Bass Pro shop) Nebraska Furniture Mart (The Walmart of furniture buying - HUGE store) and Wolf (Something) Lodge which is kind of a small scale resort-type of hotel. Then there is a Schlitterbahn water park on the Woodlands side of the road that is going in as we speak. I think parts of it are open now.

Then there is a large shopping center in the middle of it all - big fountain with a few corridors of shops around it, movie theater, and then several theme-y restaurants. Sprinkled within all of these are other stand-alone restaurants and a few shops, hotels, fast food.

Did I miss anything?

For surrounding residential areas it provides a nice selection of shopping and eats. The movie theater is decent, but does get some rowdy teens.
Thank you. I pulled it up on Bing maps and see it there - at 435 & State Ave. Not surprised about the rowdy teens.

It's a shame that The Woodlands had to close. I had never been to a racetrack in my life until that one and had an absolute blast there until we left in the summer of '90. I hope a way is found to start it up again because it will be a must see for me when I visit again some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City