Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:18 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
KC is a great city. But yea, I think I made the right choice. My kids will be exposed to things other than suburban white people and they will see that other races can co-exist in the same city with few problems.
I gotta ask: What, exactly, is so undesirable about suburban white people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 08:32 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Again, cordish is only responding to KC and how KC would react.
That's bull**** and you know it. Cordish has a history of this behavior. The same thing is going to happen in St. Louis when they open their new development there. I guarantee it.

Quote:
It's easy to blame Cordish. But you have to look at the big picture.
Yeah it's easy to blame Cordish because this situation is because - IT"S THEIR FAULT! This is becuase of their policies and the manner in which they enforce them. This is about a Cordish establishment and somehow you have turned into something being wrong with KC.

Cordish has a history of this all over the country. This has nothing to do with KC other than this particular entertainment district happens to be here.

Quote:
Also, google dress code and cordish and you will see that 95% of the topics will be about KC even though cordish has developments all over the country. Even Louisville (which everone likes to use as an example of how racist cordish is) is a blip compared to all the crap that KC and the P&L district have gone through in just a few short years.
Really? What a weird thing. The KC issues come up first. I wonder why? You think maybe because they are the most recent?

You do realize that when you search for something like that, the most recent things come up first?

Now that you are out of KC, can you change your handle on this website and stick to the DC board? You think you know more about this city than you really do. Your views are narrow-minded and biased and for some reason you fail to see that.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:40 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times
Quote:
KC is a great city. But yea, I think I made the right choice. My kids will be exposed to things other than suburban white people and they will see that other races can co-exist in the same city with few problems.

So just stay in KC and blame Cordish for all of KC's racial problems. It's no wonder they pretty much ignore it all and do what they have to do anyway.

Yeah, keep your kids away from us suburban white folk. You wouldnt want us poisoning their minds.

Just like all suburbanites, I hate all people other than white people and I only like beige houses. I also hate downtown with a passion and never leave Gladstone!

I am a suburban white guy and have been my whole life. One of my best friends is black, another is Mexican, and another is gay. All of my suburban white friends have no issue with race and we frequent downtown pretty often. We even walk around in dark places! Who would of thunk it! Most suburban people I know have no issues with downtown other than maybe my grandparents.

Not a single person on this board blamed Cordish for KC's racial issues. But, this particular situation happened at a Cordish establishment because of CORDISH POLICIES and how they were enforced. That's a fact and you cant dispute that. It had nothing to do with KC and racial issues the city has.

Racism is everywhere. It exist in DC and every single city in this country. So, dont sit there and try to single out KC because that isnt fair and you know it.

You post on this board like you are high and mighty and you know every issue that KC has. If that is the case why dont you run for mayor and fix it?

Old 11-15-2009, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,152 times
Angry racism in kc happens all the time

The problem with the power & light district is not the concept, but the owners' of the restaurants who think that they can be selective in who they want to enter their establishments. The problem is that these people need diversity training and probably a trip out of Kc to change their mindsets. KP&L is not all that. I went once and that was enough for me. the thing that bothers me about this whole ordeal is that for thirty years there was white flight to the suburbs and now all of the sudden people want to come back into a city they and their families forgot about including the inhabitants that had been holding it down and now want to discriminate. I have white friends who say they see racism happening alot. It is sad thing to see.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 AM

822 posts, read 2,047,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcprince View Post
The problem with the power & light district is not the concept, but the owners' of the restaurants who think that they can be selective in who they want to enter their establishments.
Does that really sound like such a bad idea? I mean, the notion that you've invested your own money to open a business and, like the old sign that says "no shirt, no shoes, no service", can be selective about who's money you decide to take? Go to a five-star restaurant wearing shorts and a tank top, leather Harley-biker garb or gangsta attire...see if they'll seat you. What is the difference? Again, the freedom to exclude certain people also brings with it the freedom to fail, caused by the lack of business from a.)those whom you excluded, and b.)those who sympathize with the group you excluded, so that policy must be implemented with extreme care lest the business owner exclude so many that he can't make it.

Quote:
The problem is that these people need diversity training and probably a trip out of Kc to change their mindsets.
People need diversity training...I do not like the sound of that, at all. That sounds to me like using the club of government to force people to 'like' people different from themselves. You can't do it. You can force people to act as if they like other people under the threat of punishment, but that is all. Diversity must occur naturally for it to be real.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
For what it's worth, I have nothing against suburban white people. I just want my kids to be exposed to a more diverse population (even when I'm not around such as at school, dealing with other kids parents etc).

I grew up by bannister mall, watched it rise and fall with a great amount of interest as I was studying urban planning. I went to an all black elementary school. My wife has taught in the KCMOSD for 15 years. I have black (black skin, mixed) relatives. I have a "black" cousin that would not live in KC after living in Boston because of all of the reasons I posted. I feel I have quite a bit of knowledge of the subject and I honestly feel that white flight is alive and well in KC and that reverse discrimination is off the charts in KC as well. Basically, KC (and many other cities) are about 20-30 years behind many major metro areas. Is Baltimore in racial harmony? Of course not. But DC area (and parts of metro Baltimore) are light-years ahead of KC. Again, care to explain to me the Bannister Mall deal? Blue Ridge Mall? These are suburban areas. The only areas of KC that are labeled as "good" are the areas that are the mostly white. OP, Lenexa etc. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Raytown has such a bad rap. My parents live there and I feel just as safe there as I do in Lee's Summit or Overland Park.

Now I'm saying this problem is a both black and white problem. Like I said, white people will stop going to a retail development when the amount of blacks begins to go above 5-10%. They will also move out of areas that blacks begin to move into. It's still going on today and can be backed up with migration stats. Lee's Summit has added tens of thousands of black families in the past 10 years and has become a diverse suburb since the last census. Plus, LS is where most black people from SE KCMO, Raytown etc go to shop, dine etc. So far it's been a great deal. Everybody seems to be getting along and whites are still moving to LS in droves as well. LS is the only place in KC that even remotely resembles a suburb of DC or Baltimore where educated middle class whites and blacks co-exist. I just hope it continues. Most educated blacks do not stay in KC. That is a fact. They go off to other big cities, Atlanta, DC, Boston etc. I mean think about. KC has a very high black population, yet when you walk the streets of downtown, crown center, plaza etc, you rarely even see a black businessman or black family shopping the area. Most blacks are concentrated at the bus stops. Here in DC every other person is black no matter where you are.

Bottom line is that the biggest reason the P&L district is always in the news is because the racial stance in KC is still unstable. I'm not saying what Cordish is doing is right though. I'm saying it's a symptom of the problem not a cause...

Old 11-15-2009, 04:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcprince View Post
The problem with the power & light district is not the concept, but the owners' of the restaurants who think that they can be selective in who they want to enter their establishments.
Any business can be as selective as they wanna be regarding their clientele's dress, etc. The problem comes in when you don't evenly apply your "selectiveness" and it starts to appear that it's based on things like degree of lightness of skin, versus the attire itself.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:58 PM

270 posts, read 656,445 times
Kansas City definitely has some discrimination issues (as does the entire world, I believe). In just a few seconds on google I found various lawsuits where whites have sued the city for discrimination and this issue being discussed here seems to have some merit too although I'll reserve final judgement until I have all the facts.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,650 times
Actually, the reason there are more relaxed racial relations in some of the cities you mentioned, kcmo, is that 1.) they are Southern cities (there is more overt racism in the South, but, ironically, Southern whites are more used to living with blacks and so are less likely to see them as "other"), and 2.) there is just a much higher percentage of blacks there, so they don't feel as "disenfranchised."

Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I've heard the news and know it's not a one time incident, but as my previous post show... is it possible because of the history we have in America that some people interpret things differently?

I didn't find the situation with my ex-latina girlfriend to be racist, but she did. How many white people get turned down from clubs and probably don't assume it's racism, while a black person might?

I've never complained about cops discriminating against me, but every single time I get pulled over I get asked to step out of the car, they ask to search my car or me, etc... one time they did this after pulling me over for the sticker on my license plate being put in the wrong spot, it was a black cop, and I didn't think he was racist at all... I just thought he was a dick who let authority go to his head.

I'm not some suburban outsider who doesn't see things going on, i've lived in the city, i've lived in the worst areas, i've been in situations where I am the minority. I'm a turntablist so i'd think I know a bit about the hip hop culture but who knows... the P&L district has had plenty of hip hop acts so I doubt they are trying to keep out hip hop culture....

but I do believe they are trying to keep out ghetto culture just as much they want to keep out trailer trash redneck culture....you don't see white guys in sleeveless shirts and mullets getting into these places either. Keep in mind, I don't think those people in the picture look ghetto at all, they were dressed fine.

And yeah, racism/discrimination are big issues... but getting turned down from a club and believing it to be about race is a lot different then being denied entry into a school or job. I'm sorry but its petty.... every single race is guilty of racism throughout history, and discrimination is not an American problem... it happens to people in Asia, it happens in Europe, and it doesn't matter if its race (in Finland people hate gypsies for example)... when the news is covered with issues such as people not getting into a club but ignoring the shrinking middle class, the fact that the wealth is controlled by so few in this country, that we are losing our soverignty and its effecting every single person in the US.... I think thats a bigger issue then some people who couldnt get trashed at a club and believe it may be discrimination...
I find it interesting that white guys in sleeveless shirts and mullets are suddenly considered to symbolize low income. As a white guy who grew up during the later eighties when this look was cool, this strikes me as interesting, as most guys sporting that look were from middle income suburban type families, not low income rural/small town. Are John Bon Jovi, Brett Michaels, Kip Winger, etc., now considered to be good old boys?? If so, that is a real about face from their initial image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City