Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 62,153 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Topeka, KS, but I'm moving to Kansas City in January. I live in a fairly dangerous area now(someone gets shot and killed in my immediate neighborhood at least once a week) because my credit is bad. That situation could be a lot worse in Kansas City if I get into the wrong area. I would prefer to find a place on the Missouri side. I can't afford rent over $600, I need at least a two bedroom. Right now I'm living in a 2 bedroom house with a full basement and garage for $450. I've found a few places on craigslist that might work, but in my experience most places like this don't place ads, so I need to know what neighborhoods to drive through to look for signs. I'm a student and I'm transferring to the Kansas City area because my boyfriend can't find work of any kind in Topeka. We both have cars so we don't need to live close the college or anything in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,330 times
I would suggest looking north of the river. I'm not sure of credit check question, but I'm sure you could find something in your price range up there, probably Gladstone, North Kansas City, maybe even Riverside.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:53 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,080 times
You live in Topeka and someone gets killed in your neighborhood once a week. I am sorry but I have a hard time believing that Topeka has 52 murders a year especially in one neighborhood.

A lot of apartments are more concerned with your rental history than your credit history. The main reason they pull your credit is to see if you have any liens or mortgage lates against property. If you have a great rental history, that should override bad credit.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You live in Topeka and someone gets killed in your neighborhood once a week. I am sorry but I have a hard time believing that Topeka has 52 murders a year especially in one neighborhood.

A lot of apartments are more concerned with your rental history than your credit history. The main reason they pull your credit is to see if you have any liens or mortgage lates against property. If you have a great rental history, that should override bad credit.
Most crime in Topeka isn't in the news. I can count back over the last through weeks and tell you about the murders individually. I know because I live here, not from the news. Topeka likes to act like there's almost no crime here so they avoid publicizing it. I have witnessed crimes that go unreported by the media. Maybe not 52 in one neighborhood. These murders have only been going on since September. They were much less frequent before that.

I am 22, so is my boyfriend. I have one good landlord reference, it's the same as his. Most places here check credit and want 2 references etc. If it is different in most places in Kansas City, I should have no problem. I also have past evictions that a background check will pull up. I have various sources of income, but they're not steady and don't equal 3 times the rent. These are the problems I run into here, I'm just trying to find places that don't check anything(like where I live now) to make things much easier.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:26 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racheldburton View Post
Most crime in Topeka isn't in the news. I can count back over the last through weeks and tell you about the murders individually. I know because I live here, not from the news. Topeka likes to act like there's almost no crime here so they avoid publicizing it. I have witnessed crimes that go unreported by the media. Maybe not 52 in one neighborhood. These murders have only been going on since September. They were much less frequent before that.

I am 22, so is my boyfriend. I have one good landlord reference, it's the same as his. Most places here check credit and want 2 references etc. If it is different in most places in Kansas City, I should have no problem. I also have past evictions that a background check will pull up. I have various sources of income, but they're not steady and don't equal 3 times the rent. These are the problems I run into here, I'm just trying to find places that don't check anything(like where I live now) to make things much easier.

I'm sorry, I still have a hard time believing there are that many murders in Topeka, KS. According to Topeka.org, there has only been 7 homicides in Topeka in 2009. A lot of crime goes unreported everywhere but murders usually do not.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:50 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
RjRobb2 it's Christmas! Sure she embellshed it a bit.I think if anyone had a murder or so close by then you might feel like it is every week.

I think a person could go to Belton, Grandview or the Ruskin area and have no problem. imo

Old 12-25-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I'm sorry, I still have a hard time believing there are that many murders in Topeka, KS. According to Topeka.org, there has only been 7 homicides in Topeka in 2009. A lot of crime goes unreported everywhere but murders usually do not.
I don't really care if you believe me. I didn't say it happened every week all year round and recently it hasn't been as often either. There's a lot of crime here either way.

Thank you for responding, though.

I found a place in Midtown, about 4 blocks from Westport. I love Westport, and I consider this to be a step up in safety from where I'm living now. At least it's not East KC or West Independence.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
I don't really care if you believe me. I didn't say it happened every week all year round and recently it hasn't been as often either. There's a lot of crime here either way.

Thank you for responding, though.

I found a place in Midtown, about 4 blocks from Westport. I love Westport, and I consider this to be a step up in safety from where I'm living now. At least it's not East KC or West Independence.
4 blocks from Westport in any direction except South is less than "safe". Lucky you found it during cold weather while the crime is lower but watch out come warm weather. You should really do an online search about crimes in the midtown area: Crime scene, the police blotter in the KC star, etc.... .

Old 12-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
4 blocks from Westport in any direction except South is less than "safe". Lucky you found it during cold weather while the crime is lower but watch out come warm weather. You should really do an online search about crimes in the midtown area: Crime scene, the police blotter in the KC star, etc.... .

I didn't say it was "safe" and I know it's not totally safe. It's still safer than my current neighborhood and close to an area I like, so I'm happy. A little common sense goes a long way in these areas. Like, I said, at least it's not East KC.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was "safe" and I know it's not totally safe. It's still safer than my current neighborhood and close to an area I like, so I'm happy. A little common sense goes a long way in these areas. Like, I said, at least it's not East KC.
A little common sense goes a long way in any area, agreed, including East KC or West Independence. As you stated, you are happy, and that is what is important. I did not slam your choice but was just suggesting you do some research since you have chosen the area and to be aware that it does have its problems in regard to "safety".

Good luck & stay safe out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City