Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 AM

476 posts, read 1,318,791 times

Advertisements

We're at 76 and its still freezing in here. We just moved in a few months ago so we didn't get a chance to weatherize the home, so I'm sure we're not being that energy-efficient. I was just curious as to what everyone else has theirs set at. I don't want sky high energy bills, but I don't like being freezing either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,012,620 times
Our thermostat is set at 68 degrees. We leave it there all year long and dont touch it.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:39 AM

476 posts, read 1,318,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Our thermostat is set at 68 degrees. We leave it there all year long and dont touch it.
Really??? I have to think your needs will change from season to season.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,401,892 times
Just to be a smart a$$.....Our back up heat is an oil fired boiler. (wood combo) The thermostat is set @ 58 but I heat with wood to 68-73 which is plenty warm. Drafts and cold walls (objects nearby) make is seem cold. Try localized radiant heat as a stop gap measure until you weatherize so you can lower your house setting. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM

886 posts, read 2,230,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
We're at 76 and its still freezing in here. We just moved in a few months ago so we didn't get a chance to weatherize the home, so I'm sure we're not being that energy-efficient. I was just curious as to what everyone else has theirs set at. I don't want sky high energy bills, but I don't like being freezing either!

75 here, and fine.... if it gets a lil chilly ill grab a blanket or something, but right now going around in jeans and a hoodie, only near windows does it feel chilly at the moment.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,667,890 times
What my SO and I agreed upon was that we would keep it at 68 when we are home, and program the thermostat down to 60 when we are gone at work.

This week, I have been off work due to snow days (educator), and home during the day, and I've cranked it up to 72, despite vociferous protests by my SO.

We bought a vintage home (built in 1915) just a couple of months ago, so no real opportunity to winterize it, but we will next year. We definitely have windows that could be sealed with peelable caulk and/or plastic-wrapped, and I may want to replace the back door with one that seals better...it's very drafty. We also have a back room that was added on years after the home was built, and it's build so that you step down into it, and what are in effect higher ceilings because of it. That room is significantly colder, and has an archway leading into it, no door. I'm thinking of hanging a heavy drape in the archway to keep the cold from the rest of the house.

Fighting over turning up the heat has been a part of my life for years...I battled my dad as a kid/teen, and go round and round with my SO. I'm not a fan of being chilly indoors. I am not averse to wearing layers, and usually have a sweater or sweatshirt on over another layer and thick socks in winter. But I'm severely anemic, and due to that, have an even harder time retaining body heat than somebody without a blood disorder. Even with layers on, my hands are always freezing, and I'm not about to start wearing gloves in the house. Right now, I am wearing flannel pants, a long sleeved t-shirt, a thinner zippered hoodie over that, and a fleece vest over that, with thick socks. Still not exceptionally warm.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,012,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
Really??? I have to think your needs will change from season to season.

Why?

I dont see how the temperature outside effects how you are comfortable inside.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,667,890 times
It makes a difference if you've worked outside in the elements all day.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:29 PM

36 posts, read 114,853 times
In the winter we stay at 72 and in the summer 74.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:39 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,299,822 times
Usually 75 year round, but was 80 overnight and most of today, now 76. Had it turned up because our furnace blower is messing up and the blower was only kicking on at higher temperatures. Once we got it to kick on we were afraid to turn it back down and risk it not coming back on. Figured out the error code means something or other is stuck open and we need to get that fixed, but when temperature is hovering near 0 we just want to make sure we have heat for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City