Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:00 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That's fine and honestly it would not be a factor for me either. However, your claim was that parts of Lenexa and Shawnee were just as far from KCI as Smithville was when in fact, they are 2 to 2.5 times as far. That could be misleading to anyone reading that that didnt know better.
But only 10-15 minutes of time difference. In a city as spread out as KC, as you point out, this doesn't amount to much IMO. Others may disagree. I assume most people who are researching potential places to move to would google map any areas under consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Are the high schools in northern JoCo that are only twice as far from Smithville any better than any of the high schools north of the river? I seriously doubt it. Looking at that list…
They are worth considering in my opinion, but may not be so for everyone or in every case. JoCo schools have their cons too. Everyone has to decide for themselves what's best for their kids.

This is why I don't tell people that SM or BV are always best. I simply suggest that they be considered when it's feasible to do so, and in this case, it would be for me.

It's also a good idea to consider several other options. And anyone should free to point those out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 PM

199 posts, read 319,501 times
Well, it is almost official, I got the call today and am waiting on the paperwork.
I expect to be moving to your area in mid May or early June.
You folks have given me such fine places to look at already, but please give me more if you got any.
As I said earlier, I will be working near KCI and will be looking in about a 30 minute commute radius from there, leaning away from the city since I am a country boy at heart.
If anyone has any other suggestions, fell free to speak up, and please let me know why you think I should look there.

Look forward to getting there.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 13,251 times
Default Smithville, MO

Hi!
I'm a lifelong resident of Smithville, and I would be happy to answer any questions you have!

The high school has had a banner year. They were named KCTV5's "Cool School of the Year", the robotics team, the academic team, and several sports teams have earned high honors, and this weekend the girls track relay team took first at state, I believe. They have the highest level of accreditation available to Missouri School districts, and one of the teachers at the high school was the 2006-2007 Missouri State Teacher of the Year.

Taxes-There is a property tax, which amounts to $0.45 per every $100.00 of assessed value. Sales tax is currently at 7.1%

Auto Insurance is reasonable, and there are several agents in town, including State Farm’s Dennis Brewer and American Family’s Jeff Johnston.

There is a historic district downtown, with gift shops and antique shops, a grocery store, and several small retail shops, with a larger retail center in the works.

Hospitals-there is a fully operating hospital in town-St. Luke’s Northland Hospital.

Commute-located 20 minutes from downtown Kansas City, MO

Rent probably ranges from about $500/month-over $1,000.00, depending on what you’re looking for.

Additional info:
-No violent crime
-7200 acre lake with campgrounds, parks and beaches
-Home to Justus Drugstore, a nationally recognized restaurant
-Historic downtown and town square area.
-LOTS of community activities

Check out:
Smithville R-II School District - District Landing
Smithville Historical Society

Old 05-30-2010, 08:27 PM

Oh, Smithville is located only about 10 minutes from KCI

Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 PM

There are a few apartment buildings and duplexes, as well as townhomes. Also, there are homes that come up for rent. If you would like, I can put you in touch with two people who rent out both apartments and houses.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybee2121 View Post
Hi!
I'm a lifelong resident of Smithville, and I would be happy to answer any questions you have!

The high school has had a banner year. They were named KCTV5's "Cool School of the Year", the robotics team, the academic team, and several sports teams have earned high honors, and this weekend the girls track relay team took first at state, I believe. They have the highest level of accreditation available to Missouri School districts, and one of the teachers at the high school was the 2006-2007 Missouri State Teacher of the Year.

Taxes-There is a property tax, which amounts to $0.45 per every $100.00 of assessed value. Sales tax is currently at 7.1%

Auto Insurance is reasonable, and there are several agents in town, including State Farm’s Dennis Brewer and American Family’s Jeff Johnston.

There is a historic district downtown, with gift shops and antique shops, a grocery store, and several small retail shops, with a larger retail center in the works.

Hospitals-there is a fully operating hospital in town-St. Luke’s Northland Hospital.

Commute-located 20 minutes from downtown Kansas City, MO

Rent probably ranges from about $500/month-over $1,000.00, depending on what you’re looking for.

Additional info:
-No violent crime
-7200 acre lake with campgrounds, parks and beaches
-Home to Justus Drugstore, a nationally recognized restaurant
-Historic downtown and town square area.
-LOTS of community activities

Check out:
Smithville R-II School District - District Landing
Smithville Historical Society

Thanks for the reply!!!
I actually moved to Weston, been here about 3 weeks now. I love it so far, seems to be plenty to do around the area. I did look through Smithville but found Weston to be more my style.
Again, thanks for the reply...

Old 05-30-2010, 08:39 PM

I LOVE Weston!!!!
Well, If you are ever looking for a local "get away" feel free to message me, and I can point you in the right direction! There is the most charming historic B&B in Smithville, and the lake is fun in the summertime!

Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,203 times
I have lived in Gower for Five years now with my husband..........I have only come across a few poeple that I have noticed that have made racial comments.........everyone else is not that way.....and if people continue to write these false comments how can you expect people of different races ever want to move here.....on the contrary, there are several families of different ethnic backgrounds that reside in Gower and everyone of them is excepted as part of the community. In fact there was a middle eastern family that was being made to depart the U.S and our community faught for their rights to stay here in the U.S. I think it is unfortunate for the people who believe such garbage of rumors not to invest their time to visit the town for themselves. Like any small town, most everyone knows everyone, and there are small town politics but that is to be expected, and I'm not so sure that it is a bad thing......our schools are excellent (I have 2 children in school) they offer a great summer school open to all children.....we are centerly located between Saint Joseph and Kansas City so you get a good range of jobs, shopping, entertainment.....I am a student at Missouri Western State University and it is only a 25 min drive to school..........the only thing that I would change about the town is to have more small buisnesses....we have a beauty shop, barber shop, grocery store, bar and grill, subway, breadoux pisa, gas station, bank, nursing home (very nice one), Napa Auto, some mechanical and body shops, 2 car lots, and a few others. We also have two churches in town and a few in the rural area. There are several sorrounding small towns like Plattesburg, Easton, Edgerton, Lathrop, Smithville, and many others. I have enjoyed living here and hope that you won't listen to the hype above and come see for yourself.....

Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gower-resident View Post
I have lived in Gower for Five years now with my husband..........I have only come across a few poeple that I have noticed that have made racial comments.........everyone else is not that way.....and if people continue to write these false comments how can you expect people of different races ever want to move here.....on the contrary, there are several families of different ethnic backgrounds that reside in Gower and everyone of them is excepted as part of the community. In fact there was a middle eastern family that was being made to depart the U.S and our community faught for their rights to stay here in the U.S. I think it is unfortunate for the people who believe such garbage of rumors not to invest their time to visit the town for themselves. Like any small town, most everyone knows everyone, and there are small town politics but that is to be expected, and I'm not so sure that it is a bad thing......our schools are excellent (I have 2 children in school) they offer a great summer school open to all children.....we are centerly located between Saint Joseph and Kansas City so you get a good range of jobs, shopping, entertainment.....I am a student at Missouri Western State University and it is only a 25 min drive to school..........the only thing that I would change about the town is to have more small buisnesses....we have a beauty shop, barber shop, grocery store, bar and grill, subway, breadoux pisa, gas station, bank, nursing home (very nice one), Napa Auto, some mechanical and body shops, 2 car lots, and a few others. We also have two churches in town and a few in the rural area. There are several sorrounding small towns like Plattesburg, Easton, Edgerton, Lathrop, Smithville, and many others. I have enjoyed living here and hope that you won't listen to the hype above and come see for yourself.....
Thanks for the reply
I actually went around everywhere for myself, this thread was just to get ideas about places to look at. In the end I wound up in Weston and I love it. Smithville was OK, but Weston just looked much nicer. And finding a 3 bedroom place that wasn't over 1000 was difficult everywhere, especially Platte City. Smithville had things just a little less but they were all way out. I never considered Gower, that was to far away for the commute.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 AM

9 posts, read 13,032 times
We live in Platte City, which is about 5 minutes from Smithville, 5 minutes from KCI. Platte City has great school districts. The neighborhoods are safe good for raising kids. We have a house for sale, let me know if you would like more information. We love the area. Platte City also has rental homes , apartments and townhomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City