Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:42 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to post links or start a new thread, but I find it ironic that nobody talks about the recent incidents in JoCo such as the shooting near Oak Park mall or carjacking on 75th. If this stuff were to happen in crime ridden MO like near Zona Rosa or Indep Center, it would be a different story and used as justification for how much safer JoCo is than MO. But since it's JoCo, it's ignored.

edit:

I just read the comments on the shooting near Oak Park Mall, which is loaded with typical "KCMO thugs came to Kansas to commit crimes". The suspects were from Kansas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 AM

529 posts, read 1,008,248 times
I knew that you guys had racial problems over there (what major city in the US doesn't) but I had no idea of the animosity between KS and MO. I don't really understand why or where all that hatred comes from.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm_ad View Post
I knew that you guys had racial problems over there (what major city in the US doesn't) but I had no idea of the animosity between KS and MO. I don't really understand why or where all that hatred comes from.
Read history regarding the Civil War on KS and MO.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 PM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Read history regarding the Civil War on KS and MO.
I don't really think much of the modern divisiveness has much to do with that. It has more to do with suburban v. city, with a state line down the middle exacerbating the provincalism. There is also a tendency to just blame the state line for a lot of problems that really are more suburban/city in nature and similar to suburban/city problems in other metros.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:52 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
I don't really think much of the modern divisiveness has much to do with that. It has more to do with suburban v. city, with a state line down the middle exacerbating the provincalism. There is also a tendency to just blame the state line for a lot of problems that really are more suburban/city in nature and similar to suburban/city problems in other metros.
I know many people don't make the historical connection, but I firmly believe it's there. Generations of mistrust and hatred to the point that people don't know why they don't like the other side, they just don't. Then it gets passed on to transplants as well when people are told by their neighbors that "those people" are "whatever" and so they expect it and the notion is reinforced where they may not have even noticed otherwise.

It's an interesting sociological phenomenon.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Then explain why there is very little animosity between KCMO and KCK compared to between JoCo and KCMO, which is off the charts. Hell, from what I have seen there is quite a bit of animosity between KCK and JoCo as well and even some between Lawrence and JoCo. There is even some between suburban northland and JoCo! See a common denominator?

I have friends and relatives from KCK and there is no friction at all. The people I know that live in KCK seem to respect KCMO.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm not going to post links or start a new thread, but I find it ironic that nobody talks about the recent incidents in JoCo such as the shooting near Oak Park mall or carjacking on 75th. If this stuff were to happen in crime ridden MO like near Zona Rosa or Indep Center, it would be a different story and used as justification for how much safer JoCo is than MO. But since it's JoCo, it's ignored.

edit:

I just read the comments on the shooting near Oak Park Mall, which is loaded with typical "KCMO thugs came to Kansas to commit crimes". The suspects were from Kansas...
Then there's the homicide in Shawnee. Actually two I think in recent weeks. And don't forget the incident in Prairie Village where the lady was shot by police.
Yep. Best place to grow up it is.

If only JoCo didn't have to be next door to the thugs in KC. It would be sooo much better. Cleaner streets, safer banks, better drivers, no pesky Royals or Chiefs to compete with their beloved Red Sox and Steelers ('cause they're a, fairweather johnson... JOHNson.. like the Braves in '95!), tamer dogs, prettier butterflies, fewer jobs to woo from MO, nothing fun to do... oops.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Quote:
But I'm still learning and since it sounds like you know your food stuff (I agree with you that KC is an awesome food town), any tips you can give on dining in DC-Annapolis-Baltimore? I'm open is any of these area except NoVA. Those areas are just too far most of the time and too much of a traffic risk.
The fantastically amazingly exquisite 'Bicycle' in Federal Hill recently closed - otherwise, it would be my first recommendation.

For a quick-but-creative place where you won't stand out at all as a solo diner (I LOVE these types of places and it seems the DC area [especially NoVA.. blech] is oddly short of them), I'd recommend Sascha's in Mount Vernon for lunch, when they do a sort of lite buffet/semi-quick-service sort of thing. *sigh* This has just reminded me of how much I ♥ Baltimore.

I do agree with you about the MD-side suburbs of DC - all in all, they seem to have more character than the 'communities' on the NoVA side (Bethesda is just wonderful, for instance) - for one thing, quite a few of them were established as incorporated communities prior to the twentieth century, which gives them the kind of charm that NoVA's bland 'census-designated places' lack. (However, College Park - *shudder* is a big heaping pile of lack. But PGC gets enough hate without my contribution. )

But to tie this to KC - Baltimore has a very whimsical/funky/creative retail/commercial culture that actually reminds me a fair bit of KC's (also the way the city is sort of neighborhood-oriented). DC has far less of this sort of retail than you'd expect for a town of its size. And NoVA is a mystifyingly bleak/junky wasteland in this respect.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 04-26-2010 at 07:21 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Then explain why there is very little animosity between KCMO and KCK compared to between JoCo and KCMO, which is off the charts. Hell, from what I have seen there is quite a bit of animosity between KCK and JoCo as well and even some between Lawrence and JoCo. There is even some between suburban northland and JoCo! See a common denominator?
Yes, and it's not too surprising.

There are two dynamics at work, IMHO. One is KS vs MO and the other is Wealthiest vs everyone else.

I have seen friction between KCMO and KCK. There is a big rivalry between Lawrence and MO (with sports being the perpetuating factor) and of course between JoCo and KCMO.

But then you add the additional layer of Wealthiest vs others (no matter how nice an area of MO you are in, JoCo is perceived to be wealthier and perception matters more than reality here) and so it's a double-whammy with JoCo vs KCMO. It's hard to tell where one stops and the other begins, but my contention is that they perpetuate each other.

But the friction between JoCo and KCMO is most certainly greater than any animosity between JoCo and anywhere on the KS side.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:50 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Yes, and it's not too surprising.

There are two dynamics at work, IMHO. One is KS vs MO and the other is Wealthiest vs everyone else.

I have seen friction between KCMO and KCK. There is a big rivalry between Lawrence and MO (with sports being the perpetuating factor) and of course between JoCo and KCMO.

But then you add the additional layer of Wealthiest vs others (no matter how nice an area of MO you are in, JoCo is perceived to be wealthier and perception matters more than reality here) and so it's a double-whammy with JoCo vs KCMO. It's hard to tell where one stops and the other begins, but my contention is that they perpetuate each other.

But the friction between JoCo and KCMO is most certainly greater than any animosity between JoCo and anywhere on the KS side.
Really, you think JoCo appears to be more wealthy all areas of MO, does this include Ward Parkway and the Plaza and condos downtown. I always look at it as older money vs newer money, but it just could be my perspective.

In regard to KCMO vs KCK, it's there, more in the A-A community.

Man, I wished I would have known these wonderful B-more places when I was there a month ago searching for good places to eat. We ended up at the Rusty Scupper with terrible service and overpriced food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City