Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 PM

20 posts, read 43,983 times

Advertisements

I am a college student currently living in Tulsa. I was thinking of moving to Kansas City. I was just wondering if you guys could tell me a little bit about what is your favorite part of living in Kansas City, and one thing that you don't like about it. Tulsa isn't the greatest city, and was thinking of relocating. I don't know much about Kansas City, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,872,172 times
I think it would be a step or two up from Tulsa. If you like urban city stuff and don't want too big a city, KC would be ideal. Some suburbs are quaint, most are just suburbs. One could find the same type of suburbs in pretty much every major city in America. I like the local history maybe the most of anything.

I hate that the Royals stink so bad. General lack of outdoorsyness is also a sticking point for me.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,932,987 times
I like KC cause it's cheap, has the entertainment and culture options of a city twice its size, it's a sprawly city, but has a nice urban core that is very rare west of the Mississippi, there is no traffic and it's easy to travel the country from KC via car or plane.

I don't like KC cause few people get out and enjoy what the city offers, the recreational options are almost nonexistent there (and people don't care or they would ask for more), the serious inferiority complex the locals have and the fact that the city can't get anything regionally done to take the metro to the next level.

Oh and god damn college sports, it's nice not living it a gigantic Norman or Lincoln or Lawrence, I do not miss that one bit. Once you reach the age of 25, you should find other things to do than worship a college that you probably didn't even go to.

Last edited by kcmo; 05-27-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,010,293 times
Pros - low living expenses, decent people, lots of variety if you choose to get out and see it, lots to do.

Cons- Weather, Weather, Weather, Weather

Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. How is the weather there. Like here in Tulsa, in the winter we usually get ice and some snow. I hate the ice. And the summers are usually pretty hot. How are the summers and winters up there? I originally moved to Tulsa from Atlanta, so I am accustomed to hot summers, but it is taking me some time to get used to the winters. I don't mind the snow, its just the ice that gets me.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,872,172 times
The weather wouldn't be drastically different than Tulsa. They're both in that middle of the country-plains region. Occasional tornados, wind, hot dry summers, violent springs, nice falls, cold dry winters with snow more in some years than others.
A little colder a little longer in the winter, with more snow and less ice. Streets get cleared quickly in most parts of the metro so driving is only an issue mostly while the snow is actually coming down, which is just a few days out of the year. I doubt winter would be different enough to make base your decision on. Summers would be shorter slightly but can get pretty hot most years...

Drastically different than Atlanta.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:59 PM

476 posts, read 1,318,313 times
Best part about KC - big city amenities without big city prices. We have a world class art museum, the national World War I museum, the national college basketball Hall of Fame, the national Negro League Baseball Museum, soon to have a world class performing arts center, a world class open air shopping district, major league sports teams, a thriving theater scene, an underrated arts scene, a funky arts district, one of the best farmers markets in the country, one of the nicest neighborhood parks I have ever been in, and a terrific downtown bar district. And yet the cost of living is much, much lower than that of other major metro areas.

Worst part about KC - tends to be too conservative. And I don't meant politically conservative, I mean conservative in that we are usually typically behind the curve in adopting to nationwide trends. This can be good (we didn't get hit by the housing bubble as bad as other communities) or bad (we were a decade late in the downtown revitalization trend and got hit by the recession and credit crunch)

I also wish we had better bike trails/bike lanes, denser communities and light rail/better regional bus system.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM

Kansas City seems like a pretty cool place. Hopefully I will get to visit up there here pretty soon and see how I will like it. But I think that I will like it from what I have read on the forum here

Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM

37 posts, read 133,539 times
I moved from Toronto, so I found moving to KC to be a bit of small city. However, I find the people to be very nice and much more genteel that the snobby attitudes that I find in bigger cities.

I am single, and dating sucks here. This is a town where everyone seems like they marry by 24 or get's the heck out of the city. The night life is definitely not up to Toronto standards, but it is alot cheaper to have fun here.

I originally moved to Westport, thought it was okay and moved to Overland Park to be closer to work. I am not loving OP, but since as KCMO says, there is no traffic, I just get in my car and I am in a different part of KC in 20 minutes.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,369,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Pros - low living expenses, decent people, lots of variety if you choose to get out and see it, lots to do.

Cons- Weather, Weather, Weather, Weather
Well, remember the original poster is from Tulsa. Everything being relative, I'd say KC weather would be an improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City