Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,319,515 times

Advertisements

What are drivers like in larger Kansas cities? Is there any "road-rage" at times?...I spent time with relatives in small Western Kansas towns awhile back ago and drivers were very courteous and even waved at each other! This was sure nice and a big change from what I encounter out here in the West...But I didn't spend time in larger Kansas cities on my visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,192,112 times
I think drivers here are fine. However every town I''ve ever been to says they have the worst drivers. Then I tell them that's what everyone says, and they say, "no but it's really true here." My point is I think your question will get some fiery responses. Wichita metro is around 500k so you are going to have wrecks, idiots and jerks. All of that increases in bad weather. However, Wichita roads make a nice loop around the city so traffic usually very smooth.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:22 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
We have been around and larger cities are larger cities no matter which state you look at. Kansas is as diverse as any other state depending on the area. Too often, there is this belief that you can come to KS, leave your doors unlocked and leave the keys in your car..............for the best info, look at the crime stats and city-data has those on the main page of the website.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,359,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
What are drivers like in larger Kansas cities? Is there any "road-rage" at times?...I spent time with relatives in small Western Kansas towns awhile back ago and drivers were very courteous and even waved at each other! This was sure nice and a big change from what I encounter out here in the West...But I didn't spend time in larger Kansas cities on my visit.
Nicer than most, I think. they're certainly nicer than in Chicago, or in Minneapolis, where I swear they see your turn signal and speed up just to keep you from changing lanes. I ran into that a lot up in the Twin Cities.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:57 AM

792 posts, read 1,177,543 times
Compared to Dallas, Indianapolis & Houston, Kansas City is the most laid-back larger city I've driven in.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:31 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Kansas City, particularly JOCO has some of the worst drivers I have seen ANYWHERE. Oblivious, slow driving on the interstates, a lack of signaling, reckless parking lot driving, etc

Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kansas City, particularly JOCO has some of the worst drivers I have seen ANYWHERE. Oblivious, slow driving on the interstates, a lack of signaling, reckless parking lot driving, etc
AHEM. What I see in JOCO is Wyandotte County and Miami County drivers poking along, holding up traffic, and Missouri drivers driving aggressively and too fast and just rude (pulling out in front of people, booming their stereos, etc). I watched a Missouri car turn right today where there was a sign the clearly said NO RIGHT TURN ON RED. They just do what they want in Missouri, and they do the same when they're in Kansas.

But that said, I am appalled at how many drivers (Kansas/Johnson County included, but not any more than others) are on their cell phones and paying no attention at all to driving. Driving really slowly because they are concentrating on their conversation, not the road, crossing over into the next lane and not even realizing it, not realizing a red light has turned green. I am really tired of it. There are laws against it, but I don't know it can really be enforced. Usually when I see people driving like that there is not a policeman anywhere in sight, and if they are they don't see it.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Drivers don't wave to each other in Kansas City, other than Jeep drivers waving when they see another Jeep. When you get outside of Kansas City, in the more rural areas, that's where people wave at you whether you're a stranger or not.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
KC has the worst big city drivers in the country. Bar none. The most oblivious, on the phone, slow in left lanes, no turn signal, getting on freeway going 40mph morons anywhere.

And I think people drive bad just about everywhere, but KC is off the charts bad. Just bad. The absolute worst place to drive if you are used to driving in bigger cities.

Unless you are one of the bumpkins that I'm talking about. Then I guess it's probably awesome.

You can do 50mph in the left lane, totally clueless of what’s going on around you while you talk on the phone and funny think is in KC, is people will just follow you and do the same thing.

Morons create traffic in KC, not volume.

KS and MO are about the same in KC. But people in StL tend to drive a bit better. A little more "metropolitan". Just more turn signal usage, people seem to get up to speed better to merge onto freeways etc. Like I said, most people can't drive worth a darn anywhere, but any place is better than KC IMO.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 AM

792 posts, read 1,177,543 times
Okay, so the pic is too big, but you get the point.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ter/HangUp.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas