Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:00 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I hear New Hampshire has high property taxes. Prove me wrong and I might relocate!!
Click on the word attachment for more detailed info.

2011 Property Tax Rates & Related Data | Municipal Services Division | NH Department of Revenue Administration

First off, the state does not have an income or sales tax as mentioned previously, and has one of the lowest tax burdens of any state in the US.
Yes, most towns in NH have higher property taxes compared to many other states. HOWEVER, some towns are much more reasonable, particularly if you're fine with a decent small sqft house. Towns to look into would be Tuftonboro, Moultonboro, Wakefield, Freedom, Bartlett, Hebron, Bridgewater, etc. In terms of amenities like restuarants and shopping there will not be a ton of options. To get more amenities you would have to drive an extra 30-35 minutes southeast to Rochester or Dover. If you open up Google Maps as a reference this will make more sense.

The positions with good job security and pay are generally at the local hospitals, (healthcare), school districts, etc. I know the Governor Wentworth school district is hiring as well as Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:49 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,399 times
What do I love best about Kansas? The wide open spaces, the good people, the crazy weather, and the low cost of living. I love my small town. I love how we come together to help each other, because we've learned that if we all give a little it helps a lot.

What do I hate about Kansas? Nothing.

I've lived all over this country, it seems in so many places people have become sheeple, going along with whatever they are told to believe. There is a song that says "If you don't stand up for something, you'll fall for anything. You've got to be your own man, not a puppet on a string." I find people in Kansas have strong opinions on most things. Even when I don't agree with their opinions I like living amongst people that stand up for their beliefs. Kansas has been my home for over 25 years, I'll never live anywhere else.

As for the negative image of my state? Doesn't bother me a bit. We like our "elbow room" here - so ya'll jes keep talkin' smack, k?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KS can't get hardly anybody to move there (companies or residents) unless they are already in the KC area and they can bribe them with enough cash or residents that move to KS to be near the KC area.
Oh really? Is that why the population of Johnson County is exploding and why you keep complaining that Johnson County is stealing businesses from Kansas City, Missouri?

I think it's KC Missouri that's having problems getting/keeping residents and businesses.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Anyway, I meant to respond to the OP's question about music. Most people in Kansas still listen to country. There are younger people who listen to about everything, but overall, most people listen to country, especially in the smaller towns. I know the area I grew up in didn't have a rap station until about eight years ago. I went to college and people made fun of me because I didn't know who Ludacris was. And those people were from rural Kentucky. haha
You must have lived under a rock when you lived in Kansas. This is not my experience AT ALL. Most people in Kansas listen to country? Sorry, that is so not true. I am 55 and have lived in the area my entire life even when I was 8 years old most people didn't listen to country. I'm not young, but even I knew who Ludacris was 10 years or more ago. Rap has been around since the 70s (early rap) and there were most definitely rap stations back then. You must have led a very sheltered life when you lived in Kansas.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Quote:
I just find it funny that when people ask what there is to do in Kansas or what are the good things about Kansas and people say....

Modcut- unecessary/inflamatory
No offense to all those that simply like rural KS. JoCo ruins the entire state for me.
Wonder who it was in JOCO who upset this guy so much, he sure has it in for this area. The old saying 'thou doth protest too much' sure rings true.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Wonder who it was in JOCO who upset this guy so much, he sure has it in for this area. The old saying 'thou doth protest too much' sure rings true.
It makes him mad that some of us love Johnson County. It's my favorite part of the state! As far as I can tell it's jealousy, though he will deny that.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
What do I love best about Kansas? The wide open spaces, the good people, the crazy weather, and the low cost of living. I love my small town. I love how we come together to help each other, because we've learned that if we all give a little it helps a lot.

What do I hate about Kansas? Nothing.

I've lived all over this country, it seems in so many places people have become sheeple, going along with whatever they are told to believe. There is a song that says "If you don't stand up for something, you'll fall for anything. You've got to be your own man, not a puppet on a string." I find people in Kansas have strong opinions on most things. Even when I don't agree with their opinions I like living amongst people that stand up for their beliefs. Kansas has been my home for over 25 years, I'll never live anywhere else.

As for the negative image of my state? Doesn't bother me a bit. We like our "elbow room" here - so ya'll jes keep talkin' smack, k?
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Oh really? Is that why the population of Johnson County is exploding and why you keep complaining that Johnson County is stealing businesses from Kansas City, Missouri?

I think it's KC Missouri that's having problems getting/keeping residents and businesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Fresh, cool breezes are blowing in this forum once again....feels great!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm sure you'd be very comfortable in Kansas as the cultural similarities are pretty much the same across much of the state compared with Texas. I think it is definitely a good thing that regional differences in culture still exist in the US because it allows so many the freedom (like myself) to move to areas that are far more fitting to my personality and tastes. I personally don't have much in common with or care for the prevailing culture of the South-Central and Southern Plains. I have lived in those regions and have a family member who still resides there.
So why do you moderate the forums for this area when you admittedly hate the area? It just seems to me like the moderator of a forum should be someone who actually LIKES the area. You don't live here anymore and you take every opportunity to put down the Kansas City area and specifically Johnson County. Why not let someone who actually likes it here be the moderator instead? I don't think it's fair to have people who clearly don't like it take pot shots at it all the time and I feel like you and others who don't even live here anymore do that on a regular basis.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
I'll be the Kansas moderator!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I'll be the Kansas moderator!
Over my dead body! Or only if I can be the Missouri/Kansas City moderator! Or the Washington, DC moderator. Oh no, I don't live there. But I can bash it just the same!

Last edited by luzianne; 07-23-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas