Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 AM

39 posts, read 112,907 times

Advertisements

I was recently on a road trip which took me through the eastern part of Kansas. While I didn't see much of interest, I was particularly impressed by how how friendly the locals were. Given the size of the state, I know there's a lot more to see. I'm very much into outdoor recreation(camping, fishing, etc.), so any insight in terms of places to camp and fish would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
I was recently on a road trip which took me through the eastern part of Kansas. While I didn't see much of interest, I was particularly impressed by how how friendly the locals were. Given the size of the state, I know there's a lot more to see. I'm very much into outdoor recreation(camping, fishing, etc.), so any insight in terms of places to camp and fish would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance..)
I'm a native Kansan and really, there isn't much to see lol! The Flint Hills are the only thing I'd consider geographically interesting. West of there, it's just flat, treeless, windy high plains. Eastern Kansas is mostly trees/farmland, some rolling hills. That's about it.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post

Thanks in advance..)
FIshing in KS is IMO rather meh, there are no natural lakes in the entire state....just stocked manmade lakes.

I would highly recommend heading east into Missouri where you will find better fishing and more forests etc....and the same friendly people.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
FIshing in KS is IMO rather meh, there are no natural lakes in the entire state....just stocked manmade lakes.

I would highly recommend heading east into Missouri where you will find better fishing and more forests etc....and the same friendly people.
Plus the Ozark Mountains. They're not the Rockies, but beautiful in their own way.

I wouldn't go out of my way to see Mt. Sunflower lol! But I did stop to see the 5-legged cow in Colby (I think it's Colby) once.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:18 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
We've been in an exceptional drought for several years here in SW KS so most of our fishing lakes are running out of water. But, if you're looking for a scenic road trip I highly recommend heading west (if you are starting from the East) on hwy 160. Especially from Medicine Lodge on west. Medicine Lodge has the Peace Treaty every few years, not sure if this one of the years or not. It really is worth seeing. There is also a museum. There is a stream through Medicine Lodge but I don't know if the fishing is good.

Coldwater has a lake, also low, also not sure if the fishing is good.

Meade State Lake is a small quiet fishing lake with lots of nice shade trees. It's very pretty. I've never caught anything big enough to eat.

Early spring (like now or the next few weeks) would probably be the best time to see us at our greenest.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
The Flint Hills are the only thing I'd consider geographically interesting. West of there, it's just flat, treeless, windy high plains
Oh to be sure.
We're SOOO flat up here in the NW. lol

Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM

Yup. Nothing but flat here in SW KS too.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 PM

Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 PM

39 posts, read 112,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Oh to be sure.
We're SOOO flat up here in the NW. lol

Thanks for posting this. Due to how friendly the locals are, I've been looking for a reason to come back and explore your state more.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
Kansas River Valley:

Arikaree Breaks

Gypsum Hills

The Konza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas