Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,790 times

Advertisements

wow- so glad I came across this site. We lived on a farm south and east of Cherryvale, and straight west of Mound Valley in the early 50's. My dad was Clarence Struble and was a butcher at the meat market (we always called it the locker plant) in Cherryvale that was right across the street from the train depot. I attended Hillcrest country school with only three other first graders, Bobby Myers (whose sister Donna Rae was my sister Pat's best friend) and Bobby Button. When we moved into town in about 57 we lived in an upstairs apartment on main street. My brother Roy set pins at the bowling alley. I remember going to the laundry mat with my mother that was just off main street. Sure wasn't like todays. It had the old wringer machines and tubs. We left the area a short time later and moved out to LaCrosse KS. I have been back to Cherryvale once in the past 50+ years, but have very fond memories of spending some of my youth years there. Since retirement is just a few months away, we will try to a road trip from Okla soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,685 times
Default Cherryvale, Ks...

I'm from Independence., Mo., I moved to Kansas in 1985. I lived in Independence, Ks. first..Then I moved to Cherryvale, Ks. Then I finally moved back to Independence, Ks. It was kinda strange, I always kept Independence as my address. I moved from Independence, Mo. to Independence, Ks. Then I moved to Cherryvale, Ks. and I lived on Independence Ave... Then I moved back to Independence, Ks, there I lived on 10th street...Then I finally moved back to Independence, Mo..I lived in the area for about 3 years...I really enjoyed it there, Cherryvale was a small quiet town... When I moved back to Independence, Ks., I went to work at Emerson Electric the motor Division... It was a great job, I hear it isn't there anymore though...We moved back to Independence, Mo., because my husbands work brought us back to my home Independence, Mo...We had moved to Kansas because my husband took a truck driving job for Driskel Truck Lines out of Cherryvale, Kansas...Then that job didn't work out... So my husband went to work in Independence, Ks. at a scrap metal yard...Then He got another truck driving job for CFI Truck Lines out of Kansas City, Mo...So that brought us back home to Independence, Mo...It was a nice experience though, living in a small town Like Cherryvale, I really enjoyed it... I'm thinking about going for a visit to Cherryvale to see if it has changed much !!!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,543 times
For those of you who refer to Ms "Devanthaw", I believe you might mean Ms "Delventhal". I had her in 5th and 6th grade at McKinley. Her daughter, Judy, was one year behind me, graduating in clas of 60. She is married to Bobby Stockton. I also graduated with a Paul Oyler, is he a member of the family mentioned above?. Was also lin school with a David Faulkenbury (I think it was David), but I think they moved away about the 9th grade. Lylia, was your dad Lyle Livers? If so, I watched him put the Daily Republican together on many a day, while awaiting to go to print. Cheers to all,

Jim Franklin, CHS 59

Old 03-21-2013, 06:23 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Vivian Vance, 'Ethel' from 'I Love Lucy', is from Cherryvale. She also lived and went to school in nearby Independence, KS, where she graduated the same high school as me. Although in her time the high school was in the building that I went to middle school in.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 20,872 times
Default Locker plant

Grandparents, Clyde and Millie Stigenwalt lived 3 miles east of Cherryvale.
I loved to spend week ends and summers on the farm.

We used to go into town on Saturdays, always stopped by locker plant for meat before heading home.
They had no electricity until the mid fifties.
Also stopped by John Clifton's gas station at the east end of Main street.

My mother Louise Line (95 yrs old) lives on the family farm which was homesteaded by her grandparents.

Left in 1959, have been back once a year (at least) since leaving.

IT is HOME.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,323 times
My entire family was born in Parsons and I remember going thru Cherryvale to get to Independence to visit my aunt and family. We are Black and lived in Parsons during the 50"s and 60's. We only experience the prejudice of the time. I went back 5 yrs ago for the Black Parsons reunion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas