Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:04 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times

Advertisements

Do you guys have someone you are supporting and why?

I haven’t made a decision, but so far I like Jim Barnett and Josh Svaty. Neither likely have a good chance of winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 07:15 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I googled for a list, not sure if this is all of them: These are the 2018 Kansas governor's race candidates | The Wichita Eagle

Was an easy choice for me as I have been "following" him for some time: Kris Kobach

I did read through some of the other choices and many were a "absolutely no way" based on what they were doing previously.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:35 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I googled for a list, not sure if this is all of them: These are the 2018 Kansas governor's race candidates | The Wichita Eagle

Was an easy choice for me as I have been "following" him for some time: Kris Kobach

I did read through some of the other choices and many were a "absolutely no way" based on what they were doing previously.
Kris Kobach will be worse than Brownback, and even more people will flee the state. If that is what you want to happen so be it.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:30 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,837 times
Quote:

Based on your previous posts, this doesn’t surprise me...

I’m behind Svaty. I know several people who are changing party affiliations to try and prevent Kobach from making it past the primaries... I’ve seen a lot of support for him on Facebook, some from
people who bash Brownback.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:12 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Quote:

Thanks for the link.

Kobach is going to be the man to beat regardless of peoples opinion of him. Kobach understands (and this is a main reason he may win) that so many conservatives feel like the law and order of our country is under attack. Kobach is a hero to these type of people and to those who feel like illegal immigration is a threat to our country. That is why Trump won. Law and Order. That's a big group of conservatives. The other two big reasons Kobach is the main to beat is he is nationally known and recognized, he's going to get tons of outside money and support. The fact that he continues to support Brownbacks tax cuts is also going to bring him some support and money. Though I think Wink Hartman may take some of the libertarian/anti tax support away.

Kobach posted on his Facebook page yesterday, "We’re only four months into fiscal year 2018, and Kansas revenues are already $114 million OVER estimates. Earlier this year, the legislature retroactively raised taxes on you and me by $1.2 Billion. When the legislature returns in January, should they keep spending more money or retroactively refund their tax hike?"

If Kobach loses, that will be why. He, along with Brownback are in complete denial about the state budget. Those tax increases and the budget estimate revisals are the only reason they are over estimates now. The state lowered budget estimates 3 times and it wasn't until the tax increases/changes that they started to meet estimates. This is also not considering the fact that the state is being sued for $600 million dollars and we are going to have to pay some of that, how much is to be seen, but the Kansas Supreme Court is requiring it. If Kobach wins, I also worry he will be wasting money in court battles (that I think he would lose) with the Supreme Court over the budget.

It's hard to gauge who might be ahead, simply because there are so many candidates and they will be stealing votes from each other. Barnett has an advantage in the fact that I don't think he will have much competition for moderates in the GOP, but he lacks a lot of recognition, while Kobach will be competing with Hartman and a few other minor candidates for those focused on reinstating the tax cuts, immigration, and law and order.

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention the other candidate that I consider to be major which is Jeff Colyer. Simply put, I don't think he has a chance. He was in charge of Kancare which hasn't be managed well at all...

Old 11-04-2017, 04:28 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kris Kobach will be worse than Brownback, and even more people will flee the state. If that is what you want to happen so be it.
If some leave, when we start the workplace immigration raids again, others will come to take the jobs that open up. People are leaving because there aren't any jobs. Over 55,000 illegal aliens work in Kansas when they are not authorized to do so.

I am very impressed with Kobach. I like the whole "law and order" thing. That is, as it should be.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
If some leave, when we start the workplace immigration raids again, others will come to take the jobs that open up. People are leaving because there aren't any jobs. Over 55,000 illegal aliens work in Kansas when they are not authorized to do so.

I am very impressed with Kobach. I like the whole "law and order" thing. That is, as it should be.
Kansas has had the second worst job growth in the US over the past year, and that is nearly all the result of Brownback's tax policies that have since been reversed. The state needs to work on diversifying the economy outside of Johnson County if it wants to remain relevant and continue to retain people.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:39 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
Expect conservatives to push back hard in 2018, after losing a few seats to moderate Republicans last time. I think the balance will swing back toward the hard-right, and Kobach will win easily should he see the race through to the end. But I think chances are still decent Kobach will weasel his way into the Trump administration beyond his current capacity. I don't know what would be worse, keeping Kobach here, or unleashing him nationally.

Colyer won't have much time to demonstrate his ability to lead.

On the Democratic side, I've seen some Svaty flyers in the Kansas City area already. Carl Brewer recently visited my workplace.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:42 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:

I only heard of him recently and only know what I've read from Google searches.

For the most part, at least, I like what I've read about his political stances. It is abundantly clear that he is the Devil Incarnate in the alternate reality tenanted by the left, and that alone shines an especially favorable light on him.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:37 PM

Kobach wastes taxpayer dollars to find nearly non-existent voting fraud:
New Hampshire officials slam Kris Kobach for unfounded assertion that election was fraudulent - Chicago Tribune
Trump voting-fraud commission gets state pushback - Business Insider
https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/u...voting-history
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas