Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 6,852 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for advice on a place to stay in January on Kauai.

-We will be staying 6 nights.
-We are hoping to do some scuba diving(shore diving?) and the typical site seeing.
-We would like to find a place that is comfortable to hang out. Maybe a garden setting with some nice outdoor spaces
-Near uncrowded beaches and reasonably priced dining (maybe takeout)would be a plus.

I’ve read one too many posts on the N vs. S debate so I’ll leave that one alone.
We are looking for some specific recommendations on a place to stay.
Hoping to spend about $1k for accommodations.

Thank you,

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 09:21 PM

62 posts, read 223,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevz View Post
-We are hoping to do some scuba diving(shore diving?) and the typical site seeing.
-
The best shore diving I did on Kauai was at Tunnels beach. You need to get there early in the morning to get a parking spot and its a little haul to carry your equipment but its well worth it. If you are there early you will definetly see some sharks. My first time there I paid a local company for a couple of shore dives. It was worth it to have them handle the equipment and lead the dive. After that we just went on our own. Have a great trip...I LOVE Kauai.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 PM

181 posts, read 586,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Bound View Post
The best shore diving I did on Kauai was at Tunnels beach. You need to get there early in the morning to get a parking spot and its a little haul to carry your equipment but its well worth it. If you are there early you will definetly see some sharks. My first time there I paid a local company for a couple of shore dives. It was worth it to have them handle the equipment and lead the dive. After that we just went on our own. Have a great trip...I LOVE Kauai.
(Lived on north shore Kauai)

Tunnels in January will likely be not the best for diving. During the winter large swells out of Alaska often will be crashing into the beaches on the north shore. Great for surfing (if you know what you are doing!), not great for diving. South shore should be fine.

The north shore is often rainy in January. Hanalei is not where you want to be staying. Poipo will have better weather, but you should be sure to take a drive up to the north. Its beautiful! (From all the rain)

Old 10-13-2010, 06:04 AM

Thanks for the information.

I am hoping that someone can recommend a specific hotel, rental property or B&B.

We can drive to see the sites but I'd like home base to be a comfortable place to stay.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a great place to stay where we can hangout and enjoy some outdoor spaces.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 10-13-2010, 05:15 PM

51 posts, read 119,600 times
if possible avoid january for calm beaches/scuba conditions. summer months are much better. definitely rent a beach house, its a must! i rented a house on north shore for $1400 per 7 days. the house was great, id rent again in a hart beat. it was so close to the water you can throw a rock off the porch and hit the water... great family location i brought my 3 & 9 year old. i'll find the site for the house, and post it when i can.

Last edited by twixbar; 10-13-2010 at 05:52 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Great. I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixbar View Post
if possible avoid january for calm beaches/scuba conditions. summer months are much better. definitely rent a beach house, its a must! i rented a house on north shore for $1400 per 7 days. the house was great, id rent again in a hart beat. it was so close to the water you can throw a rock off the porch and hit the water... great family location i brought my 3 & 9 year old. i'll find the site for the house, and post it when i can.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,903 times
We are currently staying at Hale Ho 'o Maha B&B it is North Shore and west end fairly close to the tunnels. We have set this up as base camp and radiate out from there.
The North Shore surf conditions moved in early this year making it tough to do anything but grab a board and surf in the wakes. I did a two tank dive at Koloa Landing with Fathom Five but the Tunnels have been two rough to dive.
From up here we can get all the way around and up to the canyon in about two hours. The Poipu Beach is fairly protected for swimming.
So plan carefully as there is so much to see and do you can not do it all in a month's stay.
We rented a jeep which has made beach going and exploring much easier than a car.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM

26 posts, read 82,513 times
I lived in the Waipouli Beach Resort in Kapaa for a few months...was totally awesome. Across the street from a shopping center, including Safeway, Panda Express, Subway, Cold Stone, an Asian Bistro. Close to Lydgate beach. I have also stayed at the Marriott and Hilton, but much more prefer the Waipouli.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:48 AM

Thank you for the real time info! Would you stay there again?.....I am going to check out there website now.....

Steve

[quote=rambrush;16259131]We are currently staying at Hale Ho 'o Maha B&B it is North Shore and west end fairly close to the tunnels. We have set this up as base camp and radiate out from there.
The North Shore surf conditions moved in early this year making it tough to do anything but grab a board and surf in the wakes. I did a two tank dive at Koloa Landing with Fathom Five but the Tunnels have been two rough to dive.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:42 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,903 times
We are still here and yes we would return. Very nice when you have a full kitchen for our use plus washer and dryer outside the room. Great WI-FI and cable TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai