Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,404,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Keep your eye on the OPB schedule. They occasionally do a special about Hawaii that is nothing but a fly-over of each of the islands, set to some music. Surprise, none of the islands look like people general dream Hawaii will look like. But still, very beautiful and the film is worth watching if you are interested in Hawaii.
I saw that before my wife-to-be took me to Oahu and the BI for the first time. It made Hawaii look like it was covred with short, scrub-like plants – like Florida. At ground level, though, Hawaii looked like what I'd dreamed it to be.

There are several episodes in the "From the Air" flyover series. My favorite is the one on British Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM

12 posts, read 34,879 times
Default Oregonwoodsmoke

Yeah I see that , Thanks .

However , I meant as in lower end ,over there . I don't know how other to say we can't afford to live next to Sly's place or ocean front on five acres in Poipu, or Anini or...... having watched listings for quite some time and have learned a bit ,different area's , cesspools , taxes , etc.

I think of lower to mid lower price housing in paradise as 250 to 400000$.They are there. We could liquidate all here and do that. We just aren't sure on doing that yet .I think if someone can go there debt free , chances are better of making it.
Rents are definitely high.

Mahalo , I will look for OPB,s program for sure. Reminds of the travel channel program where the plane just flew and filmed and naration was given.

Last edited by Oboy; 01-07-2013 at 06:46 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
You asked about jobs, about acceptance as mainlanders, and about whether your kids would be ”welcomed“ (I'm assuming you meant in school).

I am not on Kauai, I am on the Big Island. But I've lived here long enough, and read enough about living in Hawaii that I'll throw in my two cents.

(1) we moved when we were retired and our kids were out of school -- two best scenarios! Jobs are very hard to find on any of the islands, unless you are talking about a very low paid restaurant or hotel worker. Contractors/handyman types are a dime a dozen. The economy in Hawaii always lags behind the mainland, so if you are struggling for work where you are now it's going to be worse here. And think about the fact that there are dozens of contractors here already who have had years of time to establish relationships and build up clientel. You just can't complete with someone who people already know. A lot of getting work and jobs in Hawaii is word of mouth and people are going to be real hesitant to hire the guy who just got off the plane and may not stick around for long.
(2) I've never, ever worried about being accepted. The only time that I've ever heard anyone use the word ”haole“ (please get the spelling right!) is when we use it to describe ourselves. Getting accepted in Hawaii is more about honoring the 'aina and treating the aunties and uncles with respect and always living with the aloha spirit, which means working with unity, truthful honesty, humility, and patience.
(3) Kids are always ”welcomed“, especially by the aunties. However, you should do some serious reading up about the various schools in Kauai and what the educational system is like. Schools in Hawaii are generally lower performing than in many places on the mainland and you need to decide how much augmenting you are going to be willing to do.

I second kaupani's suggestion that you stick with learning words that are going to be more useful. Especially makai and mauka that are used when giving directions.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM

104 posts, read 171,491 times
As for work. I have nephews and in-laws in the skilled trades there. Painters, plenty. Work? Nothing. Tile person? Got 'em. Work, nothing. Plumbing? Have one. No work, so delivers papers to make it. Carpenters, plenty. But no plenty work. Skilled jobs go to locals who know someone who can get 'em in. It's all who you know, and most is just passed down to family. Even if you were to find something the pay is much less than mainland. Lots of minimum wage, waiting on tables, stuff like that. Best thing is to bring plenty money so can last you one year or two before you find something. People who need work done simply contact a family member who either can do the work or will know someone who can do it, mostly another relative or a friend. You gotta be here for years before you will be working steadily. About the only thing right now that might be hiring is in the health care industry such as nursing. Or if you're a good auto mechanic you can hire yourself out for about $25/hr. The hotel jobs, especially in the high-end properties is another area of who you know to get in. Or you could become a Realtor. Seems that about 99% of the Realtors in Kauai are haoles. Same with all the other islands. Could never figure out why. Probably the husband has good job and wives get in the business cause they get bored or something.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:57 PM

12 posts, read 34,879 times
Default Aloha

Thanks to all. We are taking it slow ... Like in the islands. After all the reading I have done I am convinced that we will overcome challenges anywhere we go. I understand the outsider mentality as our home of Oregon has also been over run with Californians through the years and my how things have changed! However, I always welcome them as long as they leave what they left behind , if ya git my drift.
I am starting to ponder the possible idea of the big island now for the climate, cost of housing and overall room.
I am not considering Hawai'i as a career move but a lifestyle change. I also am not locked into the trades and would do any work that suits me. Whatever I need to do and can ,I will do.
I appreciate everyones input and will check in regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai