Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, it is rare, but yes it does happen... everywhere! I had a remarkably similar incident happen to me in the Indiana Dunes more than 40 years ago.

IOW, that kind of random bizarre behavior is not really a Hawai'i thing, it's an everywhere, everywhen thing, and it's a mistake to pin it on your Hawai'i vacation.

Well I think it took them a bit to realize that they made a mistake messing with me. It was a very dangerous situation that got out of hand quickly. My Jeep and my quick thinking, street smarts and courage saved us!

Today was back to the wonderful days that we have spent here.

I really love this Island and will be back for sure! Tomorrow is the big Scuba Diving event of our trip. I am thankful that we have been all over this Island and have met so many wonderful people. That one bad incident did not even make a dent in our fun and enthusiasm for this Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
For anyone following this thread - you may run into bad people but especially in Kauai don't turn into an unknown road to explore - they might be growing something they don't want you to see and you might not be seen again. Really.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:17 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
For anyone following this thread - you may run into bad people but especially in Kauai don't turn into an unknown road to explore - they might be growing something they don't want you to see and you might not be seen again. Really.
Wow thanks for that advice! There were many roads that I wanted to explore off of the main roads...glad we had too much on our plate to even do this today. Tomorrow is also another fully packed fun day so no side road detours.

Thanks again!

Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Are these unknown roads marked with no trespassing or private property? How would a tourist know which roads are the ones to stay off of?

Also why does your state allow this to be a reality?

Are there any recent cases of a tourist vanishing for wondering upon the unknown road?

Old 12-24-2013, 01:27 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,664 times
I've had my own threatening incident or two on Kaua'i (in 10 years), but nothing that I would call life-threatening. Last one was when I asked a kid to stop riding his ATV through a campground. The parents (locals), didn't like me (a white person) "telling" them what to do. When the cops came, they made the ATV-riders stop, and told me to call the police dispatch next time so they could send the ranger to talk to them.

Some comments about this unfortunate incident:

- I see tourists driving slowly, erratically, or dangerously all the time in Hawaii. Want to take a picture? Let's just stop in the middle of the road without looking behind. Go the wrong way? Just flip a U-turn on this small road and do a 5-point turn while everyone stops for me. Yes, it's pretty much true for any tourist in a rental car anywhere, but the density is just so much higher in Hawaii (about 20% of the people/cars on Kauai at any given time are visitors/rentals). Don't get me wrong, locals do it too. A guy ran a stop and pulled in right in front of me the other day, I had to honk my horn for probably the first time all year. But it can be frustrating to other drivers.

- There is a fair amount of drug use, alcohol, pot, and crystal meth on Kaua'i. Usually happens in homes and out of the way places that tourists don't see or notice. But if you cross paths on the road with a tweaker high on meth, I can imagine something like this happening.

- There are regular people on Kaua'i, some are testosterone-driven young males driven to road rage, perhaps involving the preceding issues, perhaps not. Regarless, road rage and threatening other people is never OK, and I hope the cops can find them. One good thing I've noticed is that the cops on Kaua'i respond fairly quickly and take these issues seriously.

Quote:
I don't know whether to refute this or not. Yeah, it's dangerous here, go hang out in Chinatown after dark, or maybe Kaanapali on Maui--watch out for those killer mai-tais. But really, "Really?" Yes there are neighborhoods that look sketchy and a few streets that I would probably not bother, but A) this incident is about road rage (presumably), not someone defending their grow house, and B) I don't really see a road on Kaua'i that would lead to a confrontation like this. And outside of maybe Puna on the BI, I don't see this as a reality in HI. Unless you have a news story or something, I call BS.

I would drive down any public road on Kaua'i, it's not the anarchy state you make it sound like. Yes, there are places where people are unfriendly and would rather not have tourists driving through every day to gawk at them. Yes, there are signs of run-down neighborhoods (dead-ends with junk cars, badly kept houses, etc.), and those are so obvious that people would know to turn around--but I don't think anything would happen if you didn't. People aren't growing herb right next to their house. The only, single, one time I stumbled on a grow operation, it was deep in a forest, far from roads and houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Are these unknown roads marked with no trespassing or private property? How would a tourist know which roads are the ones to stay off of?
Like I said, these roads non-existent. There are private drives (mostly for luxury homes, and they're marked or gated. Often, you get to the end of a country road, and then several driveways continue, but they have a mailbox, usually gravel/cement instead of blacktop, and often marked "Private," "No Tresspassing," or "Kapu" (Hawaiian for taboo, forbidden)--so you know to turn around. Sometimes there is the issue of public roads being wrongly marked as private by people (either rich or not) trying to keep people out. But there is nothing down there that's worth your time--just turn around when you see the sign. Otherwise, like I said, all other public roads are fine.

Quote:
Also why does your state allow this to be a reality?
Because it's not a reality. Whtviper1 made it sound like Harlem in the 60's or Watts in the 80's, or whatever gang-infested neighborhood of whatever large city he was thinking of today. That doesn't happen on Kaua'i. Anyways, I think plenty of other states have "allowed" it to happen in their jurisdictions, and Kaua'i hasn't had to deal with it because it isn't an issue here. Like I said, there is a minor issue of some entitled property owners marking public roads as private, but it's usually to restrict access, not for criminal activity. I wish the "state" (or county) would do something about it, but it is not a matter of public safety.

Quote:
Are there any recent cases of a tourist vanishing for wondering upon the unknown road?
This is why I am contesting whtviper's post so seriously, because people jump to the wrong conclusions. Yes, there have been tourists who die on Kaua'i. The vast majority of them perish in the ocean, helicopter crashes, and traffic accidents (there was a family who U-turned in front of a tanker truck). There are very few who are victims of criminals. I can only think of two incidents in the news, and both were single women, after dark on remote beaches--and they may have been involved with the suspects and/or drugs.

So I'd like to reassure you that your incident was very uncommon, though I realize it was unpleasant. If you want to discuss the details, it would be interesting to know more, just because I'm interested in knowing how and why these things might happen (I suspect drug use).

Old 12-24-2013, 02:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
I'll try to find the story on the tourists that not that long ago went to explore - ended up on a drug farm, and I believe murdered or badly beaten - all I keep getting hits on are all stories on the Japanese tourists pushed off the cliff - the Kauai serial killer - and the violence against women - the story I'm referring to was big news and it didn't seem all that long ago.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:17 PM

47 posts, read 83,527 times
Gorgeous pictures!!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 PM

Hi again

I am sorry I have not posted my photos yet. I have soooo many and I am trying to figure out the best way to post the 200 that I have. Perhaps I should upload them to one of those online photo sites and post the link. Any other suggestion are greatly appreciated.

I loved my vacation there even though there were a few rough moments. I absolutely loved the scuba diving and beautiful scenery. I can't wait to visit again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai