Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 12:43 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It is customary to tip for a lot of people if it was a great trip but many don't. In terms of how much, that really depends on the service and what you are comfortable with. If it's a good trip I'll generally leave $20 - I've given more and less.
Thanks! We tipped 20$ and there was another married couple that was on our snorkel group who did not tip as far as I could tell. My partner is a very generous man and he wonders if he should have tipped more. We are actually going to use the same company for our diving adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Scuba diving is so far the most fun thing we have done on this island thus far! We had 2 dives today that were so magical. I have never scuba dived in my life and it was so very easy...we had a great instructor. We are going to take open water diver certification classes from PADI on Saturday and I am so excited!!!!!

Now off to study the material!

These 11 days are flying by so quickly

Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
TVC15, thanks for sharing your experiences. So glad to hear that you are having such a good time!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
TVC15, thanks for sharing your experiences. So glad to hear that you are having such a good time!
Thank you and tomorrow we are off to horseback ride on a beautiful mountain ranch and throw in a nice long zip line glide as well.

I absolutely love it here!

Old 12-20-2013, 02:23 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
I'm glad you are enjoying your vacation. Please post some pics when you get a chance!

Old 12-20-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I'm glad you are enjoying your vacation. Please post some pics when you get a chance!
Thanks and will do. I have my work laptop with me and I can't insert our SD camera card into it to post photos. I will post once home and settled back in.

I only wish we could stay here longer...so much more that I want to see and do. The scuba certification will take up an entire day of our remaining 5 days. We are still up reading the book that is required and that the test will cover. UGH but well worth it. Have you every scuba dived? It is so awesome!

Old 12-22-2013, 12:53 AM

Weeee now I am World Wide Open Water Certified Scuba Diver!

Cavern diving on Tuesday!!!

Last edited by TVC15; 12-22-2013 at 01:08 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 PM

Well a very nice sunset cruise just ended with a potentially violent situation. White boy with 3 black girls wanted to F with me on the highway in a very violent manner. Even going so far as to jump out of their car and I guess drag me and my partner out of our Jeep. But you should have seen the look in their eyes when I gave them a choice to take one more step towards my Jeep or risk me running them over like a bowling pin. Had to get the cops involved and now the cops are looking for them.

Very disturbing indeed. What is wrong with people?

Word of advise don't ever F with a strong street smart Texan from Houston.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 AM

I now wish I had not posted the above post while still being upset over the incident. But I think anyone who visits this Island should be aware that this type of thing although may be rare it does happen. I would have never thought such a bizarre scene could have happened to us on our way back to the Resort from Port Allen. Last thing I had expected. I think those people were on drugs / drunk or both. They were certainly punks out looking for trouble. Lucky us...

Anyway it was a lovely cruise yesterday along the Napali Coast and today will be another adventure but this time relaxing on the beach and snorkeling. Tomorrow is our big Scuba Diving adventure! I look forward to this the most. It is in an area where dolphins and whales are seen frequently. It will be a fun crew as one of our dive instructors will be joining us. We really clicked with him and his girlfriend who is in training to become a dive instructor. We also have a very cool captain who takes us out to sea. It will be a very exciting dive!

Old 12-23-2013, 05:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
But I think anyone who visits this Island should be aware that this type of thing although may be rare it does happen. I would have never thought such a bizarre scene could have happened to us on our way back to the Resort from Port Allen. Last thing I had expected. I think those people were on drugs / drunk or both. They were certainly punks out looking for trouble. Lucky us...
Yes, it is rare, but yes it does happen... everywhere! I had a remarkably similar incident happen to me in the Indiana Dunes more than 40 years ago.

IOW, that kind of random bizarre behavior is not really a Hawai'i thing, it's an everywhere, everywhen thing, and it's a mistake to pin it on your Hawai'i vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai