Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

If you check the stats, even the simplest threads here get thousands of reads, so posting updates to old threads is always appropriate, even if the OP is no longer active here.

If you want reasonable house prices, the Big Island is your place. I live in Volcano, half an hour south of Hilo, and the year round temperature here is always cooler and more comfortable than Hilo, averaging 69F. I know of at least half a dozen houses for sale in the neighborhood, nice houses in nice areas in a very nice community, for $300,000 or less (some $200K or less), and it's a buyers market. One gorgeous architect-designed and owned house nearby has been on the market for months, and he's dropped the price a little at a time from $300K to $255K. Somebody is going to get a thrilling house for not much moola.

And my former neighbor down the road, a park ranger who transferred to California, has a nice 3BR place for sale, on the market about 3 months, asking $300K, may be ready for a lower offer. (And note this... 4 years ago the house was valued at $155K when the previous owner died.) In general home values are rising fast in this area, although the bubble was responsible for part of that, so this is an excellent time to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 03:57 PM

74 posts, read 166,265 times
We bought a place in HPP on the Big Island last May. All the lots not close to the water are an acre. Hawaiin Air is making lots of $$ from us as we fly back and forth a lot. We'll be moving as soon as possible. We have to sell our place on the mainland first. Someone that is handy at fixing or finishing a house and has the time to do it can find some nice prices. We saw quite a few places where the seller was never able to finish the house or lot and had them up for sale.

jon

Old 01-15-2011, 04:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
By HPP, do you mean Hawai'ian Paradise Park? I live here, but I've been scratching my head at that abbreviation, so I doubt mainlanders would understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai