Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 51,607 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm new to this whole thing, but I am trying to make a HUGE decisions as far as whether or not I should move to Kauai. I've been offered an amazing job, great salary, place to live, but I'm nervous.

I'm a single mom to a beautiful 2 1/2 year old little boy. We currently live in Oklahoma City, OK. We are surrounded by family, but I don't "love" living in Oklahoma. We just moved from Durango, CO a year ago, and it's been a big change.

The Company I worked for in Durango has started a new project in Kauai and want me to join. I really don't know anything about Kauai. So anyone who has lived there, or is currently living there I would love to input/opinions!

How are the schools? Is daycare hard to find? What's it like to be a transplant on an island? Is is easy/hard to meet people? Do you get island fever? Is there a lot to do if you're not a tourist? Cost of living (groceries, gas?). Any input would be great--thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 03:54 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,217 times
I'm biased, but it sounds like a wonderful opportunity if you are able to arrange childcare while you are working--and you enjoy an outdoor lifestyle. You will have endless exploring to do with your son--Kauai is so amazingly beautiful and raising a child near a beach is just plain fun. Practical considerations to be explored carefully, of course. But if you have living arrangements provided with the job, that overcomes one of the biggest obstacles most folks face when moving to HI. Best wishes to you as you explore this possiblity!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:44 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneyOK View Post
Hi. I'm new to this whole thing, but I am trying to make a HUGE decisions as far as whether or not I should move to Kauai. I've been offered an amazing job, great salary, place to live, but I'm nervous.

I'm a single mom to a beautiful 2 1/2 year old little boy. We currently live in Oklahoma City, OK. We are surrounded by family, but I don't "love" living in Oklahoma. We just moved from Durango, CO a year ago, and it's been a big change.

The Company I worked for in Durango has started a new project in Kauai and want me to join. I really don't know anything about Kauai. So anyone who has lived there, or is currently living there I would love to input/opinions!

How are the schools? Is daycare hard to find? What's it like to be a transplant on an island? Is is easy/hard to meet people? Do you get island fever? Is there a lot to do if you're not a tourist? Cost of living (groceries, gas?). Any input would be great--thanks!

GO! Do not hesitate....GO! I lived there for several years, in Kapaa, and loved every minute of it. It is expensive, but if you are being well paid, for Heaven's sake, GO!

Hurricane Iniki (1992) caused me to sell muy house and come back to the Mainland. Our insurance rose too high for us to be able to make it, but I understand that the insurance situation has leveled.

Schools are not too bad, probably not the best, but I really can't help you there. Perhaps contact the DOE for more info. Don't worry about Island Fever... You can fly between islands very cheaply, and one flight to Honolulu in the morning, fight the traffic, go shopping, have lunch, and you'll want to go home to Kauai again by 4PM!! It is Paradise, don't allow anyone to tell you differently. If I were younger I would go back to Kapaa at once!!!

But DO IT! You'll never forgive yourself if you don't!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:52 PM

Default More! More!

Forgot.... There is lots to do not being a tourist. So many gorgeous beaches, out of the way places, wonderful restaurants. Find a place to live in the Wailua Homesteads, which is higher and therefore cooler with tradewinds. I lived there, it is part of Kapaa, actually, and so beautiful.. Stay away from Waimea and the area in the South part of the island, its is nice but quite a good deal warmer. Might also try Princeville, though it is a bit touristy. Send me a PM if you want... I'll be happy to help!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:17 PM

376 posts, read 490,196 times
I am a single mother on the mainland. Prior to having my son, I made the mistake of not spreading my wings. I now know where I want to live: Hawaii, however, since my son is school aged (preteen), it is now too late. Because of the fact that he has all of his friends here, and his father is here (we share custody) I won't be able to move until he is older.
When I was his age, my parents moved us from Chicago to AZ. It was one of the most traumatic events in my life. I had an accent and was made fun of. All of my friends moved on in Chicago and forgot all about me. The new people were not like the kind people from the midwest I was used to and didn't make as many friends as I used to have. Also, the education system in AZ is worse than IL, so I missed out there too.
I would move either now prior to him missing out on friends and the usual experiences (but then STAY PUT as you have already moved him once, and now would be twice as it is hard for kids to adjust to moving a lot), OR don't go until he is off to college.
Having said that, the opportunity to move to Hawaii and have a good job/relocation, benefits, etc. don't come along to just anyone. If I were in your shoes, I would go. It is a shame you couldn't have a family member come with to help with raising your child. It must be torture to leave your kid with someone you do not know. [I worked nights to be able to be with him all day, then dad had him during the evenings]
No matter what, I wish you luck and much happiness.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the mom perspective NanawaleJulie! That's been the biggest factor in this decision "is it what's best for my son". If it was just me, I'd already be there. He's so young right now, that I know he'd adjust much better than if he was older. The only problem is, it's only a 3-year job. They're currently seeking more work, but it's not guaranteed. So he'd be about 6-years old when we would return. Still fairly young (I don't really even remember anything before 6), but it would still affect him. We'll see, I've just been waiting for something to happen in my life, and this seemed to fall in my lap! A sign perhaps...? Thanks again, and you should consider moving when your sons older. Mom's need to do things for themselves every now and then take care!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:13 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
Default Beautiful

Kauai is my favorite Island. I think it would be a great experience for you and your child. Very nice people and a very friendly, peaceful place.
Go, while you have the opportunity, so you don't regret it later.
There is nothing there your child won't like.
I did find it a bit of a small island, although totally beautiful.
What is nice is for a tiny sum you can go to the other islands for long weekends. Just anywhere from 20 minutes to a one hour jaunt.
Then get to explore other places and things.
I have been to four of the Islands and found Kauai as the one I'd most likely love to live in.
You have this great chance........
Sometimes a once in a lifetime thing.......
I'd spend the three years, loving those islands and all of its wonders.........
I'm sure the little guy would have all his needs met, plus have pure wonderment and great people around him. Love the Hawaiian people.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:40 PM

Thank you all so much! I really needed some positive reinforcement. My family is very sad about the possibility of their grandson being so far away. But their motives are purely selfish and they'll admit to that! I can't wait to go and visit and see what kind of feel I get. I'm sure once I'm there, the decision will be easy. It's just the mystery of it right now that's a little scary. Thanks again!

Last edited by courtneyOK; 07-18-2007 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 03:50 PM

Tell your family that they can come visit!!! This will thrill them and what do you bet that they'll encourage you!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 06:30 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,217 times
Here's a good rule of thumb for visits from family...10 days is just about the right time frame if your family is staying with you! Just enough time to enjoy each other before the fact that you have a real life with responsibilities and demands begins to interfere with the fun you are having. After 10 days, time to have the family visit another island for a few days before heading home.

Might just be me and my crazy family, but after hosting a few extended stays, I've tried to gently institute that rule...a week or so with me, then I can suggest some great B&Bs or outer-island trips you might want to take--and if I can join you, I will!

Hope to hear wonderful things about your visit to Kauai and your adventure if you decide to pursue the move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai