Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 PM

376 posts, read 490,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneyOK View Post
Thanks for the mom perspective NanawaleJulie! That's been the biggest factor in this decision "is it what's best for my son". If it was just me, I'd already be there. He's so young right now, that I know he'd adjust much better than if he was older. The only problem is, it's only a 3-year job. They're currently seeking more work, but it's not guaranteed. So he'd be about 6-years old when we would return. Still fairly young (I don't really even remember anything before 6), but it would still affect him. We'll see, I've just been waiting for something to happen in my life, and this seemed to fall in my lap! A sign perhaps...? Thanks again, and you should consider moving when your sons older. Mom's need to do things for themselves every now and then take care!
Thanks. I do plan on moving when he is older-already bought my lot! I will say this about life: if you really want something, you should be able to adapt and change to make it happen. For example, for years I worked a job I hated [and quite frankly was less than my potential] just to be able to spend the time with my child in his young years. [I worked when he was asleep and was home with him all day while he was awake-talk about tired!] It turns out that I will not be having any more children and I would have missed out on that important time that you can never get back had I not been flexible enough to put my priority on what was most important: my child. If you go out there, and the job ends in 3 yrs. but you love it there, and do not want to leave (and you think it may harm your son to move again, or he loves it as well, or both) you may have to adapt-do some other type of work. Life is about choices and sacrifices. It may be worth it to work in a completely diff. field to be able to go to the ocean everyday. I wish you every happiness in life. Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,259 times
Default Be Realistic

Aloha! My family and I live in California and have been considering this move for 2 years. It looks like we will be doing it in June, God willing. The bottom line is that you have to be realistic. Things ARE very different there. It is a small island and the culture is different. Life is a bit slower paced and the scenery is beautiful, but it is at a cost. Prices are higher for housing, gasoline, food, appliances, services, and utilities. The schools are tougher.... and your child may have a hard time being accepted by the other kids becuase he/she is not a local. You may also experience some discrimination, but keep in mind that all things can be oversome with patience and a smile. I plan to put my childen in private school, so that they can keep up with the mainland standards and be in a more controlled environment, I have familiarized myself with the island and made many friends there (I visit a lot). Just realize it will take time and you will have to sacrifice some things in order to make it work. Whatever you do, do not go and say it is temporary. Locals will not give you the time of day. They want to know that the people that they make friends with will be around for a while.... a very long while. Best of luck!

Old 08-23-2007, 04:44 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,277 times
My parents moved us when we were in high school and although I have some resentment for that because I wonder if my life would be different, I also respect the fact that parents don't stop having a life just because they have children.

IMO, it's definitely better if you get most of your moving around done before they start to hit puberty. That way, they aren't struggling so much to fit in because they want to make friends. Peer pressure sucks, especially if you are alone. In bigger cities though, they are going to go through the friend making process a lot anyway once they enter high school because most high schools have kids from several junior highs.

I really wouldn't worry too much about that at this point. I am sure you can get someone to recommend some reputable daycare/preschools, probably even someone from where you will be working.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:18 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,935 times
Default Can be OK to move a teen...

My sister just moved to Kauai with her 14 year old daughter, and it has worked out very well for them (so far). My niece did not have many friends at her school here in NY (it was a small private school, K-8, and the middle school girls were very clique-y), and she would have been transitioning to a new high school anyway. She is now enrolled at Island School (a very nice private school in Kauai) and is absolutely loving it, has made a few close friends already, is loving her activities (shooting, and theater, so far) and all of her classes.

They have experienced little racism so far. They are living south of Kapa'a, and my sister found a part-time job which only lasted a week or so because she found a wonderful full-time job that fast (and not even in the field she worked in here, for 30 years, but doing something she adores nonetheless). The pay is not great but she is determined to make it work. (She just got called for an interview for another wonderful full-time job for which she'd applied, but had to tell them sorry, she's already found something!)

They say the islands will either embrace you, or chew you up and spit you out. So far, my sister and niece feel very embraced and happy. My husband, son, mother and I are considering joining them next summer.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:11 AM

77 posts, read 415,016 times
I agree with everyone here! I lived on the islands, and it is a spectacular place. The spirit of the islands will wrap you and your son in warmth and laughter. Three years is perfect! what a wonderful place for you both to be. You are very lucky. have faith, you will both be happy. you might meet a wonderful man as well!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,910 times
if i were you i would start packing my bags and heading out! Ive been there a lot and loved it every time. it is one of the most beautiful places on earth! your son will grow up knowing the aloha spirit and you will live a happier and heather life. kim (last writer ) was right princeville is a really nice place to live its like the in between place on the island not to hot and not to rainy. i wish you the best on what ever you deside, just make shure there is no regrets.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 30,849 times
Default Want to move to Kauai to be closer to my grand-daughter

My husband and I would like to leave California and move to Kauai. My sons, daughter-in-law, and new grand-daughter live in Kapaa. My only concern to finding work. I have several years of experience and a great attitude. I would like to downsize from the hectic jobs I have had in Califonria. Would like to look into working at one of the hotels. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,434 times
What type of work do you do? Jobs are hard to find here, but not impossible (despite the fact that one of my close friends just got laid off, as did many hundreds of other people). If you can wait for the economy to turn around, that might be best. Maybe your family can lead you in the right direction. You will not find a job in any hotel right now. I am in the industry and we are still cutting hours and keeping our fingers crossed for a miracle. Maybe when St. Regis Princeville reopens, you can apply, but it is easier and safer for employers to hire people from the island. Plus hundreds of people are waiting to get their job back there!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:52 AM

My husband and I are moving over in August. My children new grandbaby have lived on the island for 3 years. We are all from California. They will never come back. They feel that family is number one on the island and that this is a good place to raise kids. When you live on the island you find ways to get around the high prices. I would really like to keep in touch with people who have made the move and see how it went. My only concern to finding work.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:57 AM

I have been applying online to jobs that are posted on the Starwood site in hopes to get something at the St. Regis. I applied for a position as a teller and they said I had too much experience. I can't afford to live too long off my savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai