Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:01 AM

8 posts, read 30,858 times

Advertisements

I have over 20 years of experience in marketing, business development, public relations, and planned giving. Early in my career I worked in hospitals as development director and product line development.I want to step down from the types of jobs I have had in the past and find something less stressful. Would really like to work in hotels, banking, hospitals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We really want to make this move to be close to our children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 08:22 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
With your child at 2 1/2 years old, no need to worry about school - but you could enroll him in a preschool/daycare. Churches may offer the best care and schooling for you.

With a job with good pay and a place to live already lined up for you, go for it. That way, you will never have regrets in later life for not at least trying it.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 30,858 times
What is the busiest time in the hotel business?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 PM

227 posts, read 918,596 times
On Kauai during the summer the North Shore is really busy because the weather is amazing. During the winter most people are in the south at Poipu. They are scheduled to build some new hotels in the North but may be halted due to the economy. The Princeville hotel was just sold and been closed for remodeling, should be opened by this Xmas.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,675 times
how much money do you think i would need to start off out there? i am 21, not going back to school. Have lots of experience in restaurant business, and think i could find a job easily. if i were to rent a room out of a house for around 500 a month, how much do you think i should bring with me?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:39 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
My friend nothing is easy here; there are 50 people applying for any open position, (kitchen, wait staff, what ever). Not saying you can't find a job but get that easy notion out of your head.

I would say bring $5K, if you're going to want a car bring more.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 PM

7 posts, read 16,859 times
I want to retire in Kauai 2011 how can I obtain listings for rentals? Thanks

Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Here's a good rule of thumb for visits from family...10 days is just about the right time frame if your family is staying with you! Just enough time to enjoy each other before the fact that you have a real life with responsibilities and demands begins to interfere with the fun you are having. After 10 days, time to have the family visit another island for a few days before heading home.

Might just be me and my crazy family, but after hosting a few extended stays, I've tried to gently institute that rule...a week or so with me, then I can suggest some great B&Bs or outer-island trips you might want to take--and if I can join you, I will!

Hope to hear wonderful things about your visit to Kauai and your adventure if you decide to pursue the move!!
I think you stated this better then I have. I remember reading this back when and I thought that really is so very, very, true.
After hosting a few extended stays from people coming from France I realized a month is just way too long.
They come and expect a journey to a vacation spot each and every day and ever hour.
As much as we did try with NYC, Philly, the shore for a week, Washington DC........The days there was down time for me and my young children were difficult. They were on vacation, and they wanted to keep going.

Unfortunately as years went by and I expressed this two week time frame instead of a month....They were not very pleased by that idea and just didn't come at all. LOL

I don't know why travelers don't understand. We had taken our vacation we were now hosting them. They could travel wherever they wanted....
Perhaps here and there by bus. We would even take them to a location if they wanted to spend some time at one.
I had to get back to my home chores, bill paying, family obligations........
We tried to be so welcoming, but the long stays seem to backfire.
Thirty days is just to long of time for entertaining.......

So, yes......I'd still try for a shorter stay of family...But, watch how you word it and hopefully they won't be offended,and will understand.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:24 AM

18 posts, read 29,064 times
courtney you are so lucky! i want to move to kauai badly and am trying to convince my partner to go with me. her biggest fear is job security. she is an artist who just graduated with her masters in fine art and is afraid that living on an island will not provide her with the opportunities that she needs/wants. i dont know much about life in kauai either. im trying to do as much research as possible to figure out whether it is possible to be an artist in hawaii. it really doesn't matter to me because i have not figured out what i want as far as a career in my life and would like to go back to school. i can be anywhere to do that! what is it that you do?...if you don't mind me asking. does anyone have any information for me on job opportunities or art in hawaii?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai