Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 AM

14 posts, read 80,547 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just got back from a vacation in Kauai over the holidays.
Needless to say, this was my best vacation ever at a "tropical paradise":

1. perfect climate - even rain was seldom all day. As I understand, the
winter is the rainy season.

2. Many possible things to do. We went on a sailing trip on the Napali
Coast. That was unbelievable. The ocean waves were small enough on
the southern part of the island so you would not kill yourself using
a boogie board/raft. We really got into watching kids surf at the
Northern beaches.

3. I was surprised over how much high quality fresh fruit, vegetables.
Macadamia was used in pancakes, ice cream. Eggs very fresh. This is
at grocery stores and lots of restaurants. There is no amount of money
that will get you food like this in many parts of the U.S. This should
be a model for the rest of the U.S. in using local food products as
much as possible (i.e. with their short transportation distances, keeping
the food fresh as possible). I did see one funny thing - at one of the
island airports, they were selling sandwiches in a case prepared in
Bethesda, Maryland!

4. Compared to some other beach destinations, this was the most laid
back. Driving was seldom stressful. I think the relative uncrowded
population contributes to many good things about this island. So much
of the U.S. is overbuilt due to lack of planning.

I know that paradise is not always as it seems with what I read in these posts and talking to some Kauai residents - lack of jobs, everything depending on tourism. We experienced some vog this past week. I have one friend who grew up in Hawaii and eventually moved to the east coast to have change of seasons, more economic opportunities etc..., so I realize what I see is just as a visitor for a small period of time. When I visited St. John, Virgin Islands, I immediately wanted to move there, as when I first
set foot on Kauai. Then, reality set in after a few days with the insects,
seeing what real estate cost etc... But, as a vacation destination, St. John
and Kauai are my favorite places.

What do you think about eventually retiring in Kauai and spending 1/2
the year in a home and then spending 1/2 time in mainland? The real
estate is not as expensive as St. John, but still not cheap. I would prefer
Florida due to its proximity on the east and cost, but my wife, growing up in the South, would probably not go for Florida, unless she was convinced
(I'll have to take her to Panama City Beach or Sanibel Island).

Well, I recommend hearing some slack key guitarists if you visit
Kauai. That is something I don't normally get to hear around here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 AM

212 posts, read 417,690 times
A timely thread for me! We are leaving in 2 days for Kauai and are camping at the YMCA on north west shore. Rain was a concern for me but I am glad to hear it usually doesn't last all day. How cool did it get? I think we'll be warm enough in our sleeping bags but did you have to ever wear more than a rain jacket during the day? How bad were the mosquitoes? Any chance of snorkeling somewhere on the south side of the island? I am in Wyoming and am having a hard time featuring "summer weather" at this moment when it is 22 with a cold wind.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 AM

227 posts, read 918,040 times
This year compared to last the rain has been very light minus the one day only when it poured down 16 inches and basically shut down the island. There is great diving on the north so you really don't have to go to the south if you don't want to make the hour drive. Go to Aninni or Tunnels the later if the surf is light.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandur View Post
What do you think about eventually retiring in Kauai and spending 1/2 the year in a home and then spending 1/2 time in mainland? The real estate is not as expensive as St. John, but still not cheap. I would prefer Florida due to its proximity on the east and cost, but my wife, growing up in the South, would probably not go for Florida, unless she was convinced (I'll have to take her to Panama City Beach or Sanibel Island).
Many people do this, including several on this forum. There are lots of threads about the pluses and minuses of moving to the islands and retiring in the islands. You might want to search a bit then ask specific questions.

In the interim, I'd suggest an extended stay (3-6 months) before you move. Especially if you're haven't already retired on the mainland. That's quite an adjustment to make, believe it or not, and doing it in a strange place -- especially in a remote area -- might be complicated.

I'm on Maui, but I'm sure Kaua'i has similar vacation rentals in which you could do an extended stay to see how you like the day-to-day life. I'm from the east coast, too, and would definitely pick Hawaii over Florida for a full-time residence, probably for a half-year, too. Lots of issues besides personal preferences and expenses, though -- like family ties, health, healthcare, your other travel habits, and how you like to spend your time -- will factor in to your retirement and eventual location(s).

Best of luck -- I'm glad you had such a great trip. Come back!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,301 times
Living on Kauai and having friends that live on and off island for 6 months of the year here is my recommendation.

Keep your home back on the mainland and rent a place here for that 6 month period. Trying to maintain 2 homes is way more work and or expense than most of us want to get into.

There are plenty of other folks that do have that second home here and either can't afford it anymore or don't use it as much as they thought they would. Many of these people would jump at the chance to rent their place for half the year. It would be like owning your own fully furnished home without all the expenses or headaches.

Example: There is a newer house down the road from me (ocean view) that sold for $1.4M and is empty most of the time. The people that bought it have only been back for a total of 3 weeks in the past year.

Before getting into any long term lease I would recommend renting a place for a few months to get a true feel for the island and where you might want to live.

PS: Rental rates for extended vacation rentals are VERY flexible with some people renting for 50% or less of the original asking price. I’ve seen people ask for $2800 and settle for $1200.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:28 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,129 times
marylandur Glad you had a great trip!! The weather has been incredible gota say! I sure remembered it being wetter last December.

The are many people who do the half Hawaii/half mainland. I am now offically one of them. Have many friends that do this also. They are half and half on who rents and who owns property.

I am on BI so can't give any infomation on Kauai. I will say last year when I arrived for a "2 week trip" that turned into almost all winter and into the spring.

I dove into the market and looked for a house. Even made an offer on it - Thank god that didn't get accepted being it is now listed for less than my offer. I have made the decision at this point in time just to rent while on the islands. Although the market is ripe for the picking for a house and I think it will continue for some time. Man though their are some deals out there now. Even some with furnished houses and throwing in the cars too!

The cons of buying for me is the upkeep on the house and yard from the mainland, the cost of furnishing another house. Have to pay someone to take care of it. Trusting someone to do the upkeep. Rent it out when not here? So is everyone else.

Renting isn't an investment but way less headaches and work. And does free up the cash for more travel. I have family that did buy when retired. They kept their property in CA for 5 years before they decided to really stay in Hawaii, although they only leave for a couple of months. I did purchase a car to keep on Hawaii vrs paying the rental rates.

I agree with the advice come over, rent for 6 months and see what you think. It does change your perspective somewhat vrs a incredible vacation experience. The islands are amazing place and it does become interesting what you do miss on the mainland.

Good luck with your future decisions!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 PM

14 posts, read 80,547 times
Thanks everyone for your opinions. Renting sounds like a good idea before taking any plunge into
something more permanent.

Sounds like timesharing has caught on big on the island. We were
asked twice if we wanted to go to a presentation. Sat through one too many of those in the past.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:59 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,285,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
marylandur Glad you had a great trip!! The weather has been incredible gota say! I sure remembered it being wetter last December.

The are many people who do the half Hawaii/half mainland. I am now offically one of them. Have many friends that do this also. They are half and half on who rents and who owns property.

I am on BI so can't give any infomation on Kauai. I will say last year when I arrived for a "2 week trip" that turned into almost all winter and into the spring.

I dove into the market and looked for a house. Even made an offer on it - Thank god that didn't get accepted being it is now listed for less than my offer. I have made the decision at this point in time just to rent while on the islands. Although the market is ripe for the picking for a house and I think it will continue for some time. Man though their are some deals out there now. Even some with furnished houses and throwing in the cars too!

The cons of buying for me is the upkeep on the house and yard from the mainland, the cost of furnishing another house. Have to pay someone to take care of it. Trusting someone to do the upkeep. Rent it out when not here? So is everyone else.

Renting isn't an investment but way less headaches and work. And does free up the cash for more travel. I have family that did buy when retired. They kept their property in CA for 5 years before they decided to really stay in Hawaii, although they only leave for a couple of months. I did purchase a car to keep on Hawaii vrs paying the rental rates.

I agree with the advice come over, rent for 6 months and see what you think. It does change your perspective somewhat vrs a incredible vacation experience. The islands are amazing place and it does become interesting what you do miss on the mainland.

Good luck with your future decisions!
Hi, on the car, what do you do? Start trying to sell the car after 5 months? Do you "time share" the car?

I am curious!

Thanks,
S.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:06 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Hi, on the car, what do you do? Start trying to sell the car after 5 months? Do you "time share" the car?

I am curious!

Thanks,
S.
Store it or hopefully find a place to park it for free.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:08 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,285,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Living on Kauai and having friends that live on and off island for 6 months of the year here is my recommendation.

Keep your home back on the mainland and rent a place here for that 6 month period. Trying to maintain 2 homes is way more work and or expense than most of us want to get into.

There are plenty of other folks that do have that second home here and either can't afford it anymore or don't use it as much as they thought they would. Many of these people would jump at the chance to rent their place for half the year. It would be like owning your own fully furnished home without all the expenses or headaches.

Example: There is a newer house down the road from me (ocean view) that sold for $1.4M and is empty most of the time. The people that bought it have only been back for a total of 3 weeks in the past year.

Before getting into any long term lease I would recommend renting a place for a few months to get a true feel for the island and where you might want to live.

PS: Rental rates for extended vacation rentals are VERY flexible with some people renting for 50% or less of the original asking price. I’ve seen people ask for $2800 and settle for $1200.
A few questions, if you do not mind.

1) Is there anything magical about the 6 months? Is that the standard? If so, is there a six month period that is tends to be renter's season (something akin to the snowbird route)?

2) Would you say that the flexibility in price applies to Hanalei and Poipu or just to the the stretch between Kapaa-Lihue area?

3) Now is an exceptionally tough time. Is there great variation in long-term rental prices between recessions and expansions?

4) Prices in Hawaii seemed to hang on to high levels longer than elsewhere. And when I compare prices to a dozen years ago, it seems that prices remain much higher. Would you say that for a family that seeking a 6/6 or 9/3 month arrangement that buying and renting is simply not worth it (however you wish to define that)?

Thanks,
S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai