Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 AM

12 posts, read 51,643 times

Advertisements

Georgetown has a quaint downtown, but the rest of the city is pretty boring, unless you enjoy strip malls and chain restaurants such as Walmart, Kohl's Lowe's, O'Charley's and Applebee's. Perks- Low crime, affordable, close proximity to Lexington (great city with culture, history, great local eateries, etc) Louisville and Cincinnati are about an hour away. Typical suburbs being built up on the outskirts of town, little boxes all in a row. Some cultural activities such as Scott County Art League. For football fans, the Cincy Bengals have spring training camp every year at Georgetown College.

Best dining experiences in G'town-Fava's, Sam's and Lock 'n Key Restaurant (an old bank turned into a restaurant. Here you can lounge and play board games in the bank's vault). The Kite Festival and Festival of the Horse are enjoyable. Georgetown College is there as well and is nestled amongst the historic district. Toyota is here as well which has its pros and cons as well. It's great for the local economy now, but I worry how well this town would fare if it ever shuts down.

Midway is nice, but to live there is a bit pricier than some small towns in the area. It's in a gorgeous setting surrounded by horse farms. It is significantly smaller than G'town but has much more charm and character IMHO. One con I would note, I have heard their water company charges very high rates-$75-100 a month which is absurd in my book.

The Midway downtown area is full of mom and pop shops locally owned and operated. Several good restaurants such as the Black Tulip, Quirk Cafe, and Holly Hill Inn. Equus Run Winery is nearby. There are antiques, a Bed and Breakfast, and a little theater.

Midway also two nationally known festivals each year- Francisco's Farm Art Festival at Midway College in June and the Midway Fall Festival located at downtown Midway in September.

It may cost more to live in that Georgetown but if I had to choose between the two to reside-Midway would win. It's smaller, but comes in a great package.

I also happen to love Berea, the Folk Art and Crafts Capitol of Kentucky. Nestled in the rolling hills of eastern Kentucky, this town has charm and lots of art. The Ky Artisan Center is also here. Only Ky handmade products are sold here. Explore Kentucky crafts & history. Also, Old Town Artisan Village hosts an array of local artists and craftsmen working at their craft. It is fun to watch "Hot Flash" beads being created.

Hungry? One of the best restaurants in KY is Boone's Tavern. Set on Main Street this fine dining has international acclaim. Here you can get southern or traditional cuisine. Check out a Kentucky Hot Brown. Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky