Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:09 AM

5 posts, read 10,517 times

Advertisements

I'd check out Bowling Green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 02:15 AM

80 posts, read 198,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offtokentuckytofish View Post
Wow, those lakes are huge and according to Google Maps only about 15 minutes away. Thank you so much for your reply. I'm researching all the previous threads about Murray now. Just a few quick questions...not sure if you know the answers to any but if so thank you!

1. Do you know how the fishing is at the lakes? I mainly fish for bass, crappie and cats

2. Are your lakes free to fish, other then a yearly state license?

3. Are jobs impossible to come by like most of the US at this moment?

Thank you so much!
A lot of people say that Kentucky Lake is the best crappie fishing lake in the country. Its also a great place to fish for bluegill and shellcracker.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:37 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Pikeville. It has a college. Beautiful lakes nearby. Mountain streams. And most important--beautiful women!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:22 PM

6 posts, read 8,149 times
I live in murray. My son attends msu. Our town is not all students. It is a good mixture. We love to fish. There is catfish, crappie, large and small mouth bass.
Students have a easier time finding part time jobs than us older folks looking for full time work. Hope to see you on the fishing banks!!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:43 PM

180 posts, read 597,007 times
Murray isn't full of college students. There is a core of citizens here year round, like myself, who live in harmony with the university. I actually moved up here from Nashville and live in an apartment complex full of college kids and this is one of the most quiet neighborhoods I have ever lived in. The school isn't a huge party school and the city has everything you really need. Overall, it's a great town and my wife and I are having a blast here. Did I mention I just moved here from Nashville, TN??

Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Michael, I tried to win tickets to the Jason Mraz concert Sunday night, but had my usual luck. lol
I DID win tickets to a cruise on Lake Barkley Wednesday night. It was a "sunset/full moon" cruise from below the lodge on a 90 ft. cruiser. Wow! A 4 br, 3 bath boat! Had a great time!

Old 09-25-2010, 07:43 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Wow, those lakes are huge and according to Google Maps only about 15 minutes away. Thank you so much for your reply. I'm researching all the previous threads about Murray now. Just a few quick questions...not sure if you know the answers to any but if so thank you!

1. Do you know how the fishing is at the lakes? I mainly fish for bass, crappie and cats

2. Are your lakes free to fish, other then a yearly state license?

3. Are jobs impossible to come by like most of the US at this moment?

Thank you so much!
Interesting that you asked 3 questions, and none of them had to do with college.

Sounds like you won't be attending any since it is such a low priority for you.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:46 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
If an 18 year old is considering re-location with no plans of attending college, I would think a job had better be #1 on your priority list.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:05 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
My primary pick for you: Murray.

Other towns to consider are Bowling Green, Owensboro, Wilmore, Williamsburg (bleh...), Pikeville, Richmond (dumpy), and Morehead.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:34 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that. Just not really sure what it exactly means, though. lol. So I see Murray is considered west kentucky? When people talk about South Kentucky are they talking about the Bowling Green area?

Yes, Bowling Green is considered southern Kentucky. We have Western Kentucky University here and we are about 25 minutes from Barren River State Park which has a nice size lake for fishing. There are also a lot of pay lakes and such around and rivers, Lake Nolin and Lake Malone (great for bluegill and crappie fishing). Bowling Green is quite a bit larger than Murray but is surrounded by rural areas. The feeling here is definitely southern. You should check both areas out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky