Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM

314 posts, read 639,852 times

Advertisements

So I've been rolling around the idea of buying a real small parcel of land in northeast Kentucky (just south of ohio). Does anyone know a good person to talk to about this, or a good way to go about getting more information on how to go about doing this (trusted realtors in that area, etc?).

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,096,362 times
Lightbulb good search engines

I'm going to say the same thing that I recently stated along with adding some good rural, real estate websites. Especially ones that allow you to select the county that you're interested in and/or the acreage, price, etc.

//www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...and-peace.html

============== original post ========================
Couple ideas for you on your pursuits. The key is finding the right place. It would help if you knew the general area that you're interested. There are places in Kentucky where you can get acreage for less than $1k an acre but it likely will be hilly and not usable to farm. If you need farmland, then put that on the list of needs. For location, there are counties where the land can be a cliff and it won't be less than $5k an acre. For your requirement where it's 'okay' to be within a store that is half an hour away, there are many places where the property won't even be close to 'only' a half hour away. If you need to be that close - within a half hour - from a store, that also needs to go on the list. I can't generalize what part of the state would be your best bet for finding your new homestead but in general, flat land is rare east of I-75. Flat land can usually be found for less south of the BlueGrass Parkway (or Martha Collins... whatever it is today). On generalizations, I'm not familiar with farmland or prices west of Owensboro/Bowling Green except that Kentucky land gets flatter the farther west you travel.

A couple decent search engines - that let you screen for acreage (lots), and prices (keeping it low).
https://www.e-farmcredit.com/Benefit...9/Default.aspx
(use 'advanced' tab to streamline your search)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Country Homes, Farms, Ranches for Sale, Recreational Property & Land - United Country Rural Real Estate

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:06 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 06:07 PM

awesome, thanks!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:02 PM

Ok so anyone else have any suggestions? Not a ton of luck with those links. Good selection at the high end, not so good at the low end. I'm going to keep watching those sites, b/c they are pretty good... but I'm not sure they're the answer.

I got half a mind to just drive around the countryside looking for 'for sale' signs, but something tells me that won't get me a whole lot of results lol.

Last edited by spotch; 09-28-2010 at 07:26 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 08:20 AM

53 posts, read 127,805 times
When you say " Northeast" KY where at exactly? I live in the Cincinnati area and have some land down in Bracken county. about an hour southeast of home. There seems to be alot of property for sale, both with homes and without. I would suggest looking in some of the out laying counties in the Nothern KY area. A good map would be a great help. Here the the MLS lists for Northern KY

MLS

Old 10-02-2010, 02:41 AM

Yeah I was thinking from Cincy-ish area over to west virginia. Thanks for the link.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:33 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,096,362 times
Lightbulb Other options

Here are a couple more ideas but they'll be painfully slow and time consuming.

1) from Cinci to Ashland, find the larger cities that will have weekly papers and scour them for advertisements. (Maysville, Morehead, etc).

2) craigslist (the Lexington and Cinci's boards) will have listings of farmers or land owners selling their property. On the "real estate for sale" thread, seach using acre, acreage, etc. - along with your price windows.

3) MLS listings can be searched but in the rural areas, you may have to enter city after city and do 20-mile circles to search and of course you'll only be picking up 'listed property'.

Don't simply drive around looking for FSBO signs, you'll burn way too much gas and time.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 AM

Oooh, good ideas. I never thought of local papers. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:07 AM

53 posts, read 127,805 times
Here's how I searched/purchased my property. You or others may have a different tack this worked for me.

- Purchased a good detailed KY map

- Figured how far I wanted to drive from home (I was looking at a weekend/retirement place) and decided on 1.5 hours.

- Got up one nice Saturday morning (in the winter) and went on a drive with the map and notebook. Firgured out which counties I want to focus on. I wanted someting very rural, secluded and pretty but affordable. I went in the winter so I could get a clear view of the land without leaves/brush.

- Avoided searching by cities via MLS and only searched by county (i.e. Bracken County).

- Picked up a few local papers (kind of a waste)

- Searched the MLS listings and contacted a few Realtors. Most just wanted me to drive down and look at a place by myself and if I was interested then I could set up a meeting in their office then they would take me down to tour the place. Kind of p*ssed me off the first few times but they all seem to operate that way.

- Also it seems like alot of rural realtors are very county focused - they don't work outside of their county.

- I found a place I liked, drove a hard bargain and got it.

- I worked with Rural Route Realty out of Falmouth, KY and they seem good to go for me. They are a small family run operation but seemed nice enough and took care of me.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
- Got up one nice Saturday morning (in the winter) and went on a drive with the map and notebook. Firgured out which counties I want to focus on. I wanted someting very rural, secluded and pretty but affordable. I went in the winter so I could get a clear view of the land without leaves/brush.
awesome awesome awesome. Great contribution, thanks a ton. (I never thought about going in winter!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky