Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:23 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times

Advertisements

I made reservations to take my husband to Ashland the first weekend of January. We're looking at property in the general vicinity. We'd found one in Lawrence county and were in love with it, but by the time I got in touch with the realtor it had a contract on it. So, we're looking in the general area, and I use the word general loosely!! We just want a good piece of land in the middle of nowhere with mountains / rolling hills. Seems like the Ashland area might be the place to start and head south / east from there.

So, since we'll be there a few days, does anyone have any info on things we can do, places we can go, stuff to see? We're not really outdoorsy or active. My husband is disabled, so that limits us a bit. No mountain climbing!! We love antique stores / malls. We like lakes / streams / etc. We love history like the civil war if there's anything in the area like that. Or just driving through historic towns with nice little 'Main Streets' that have been kept as true to date as possible. You know, like with a little town square or something.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Others will be able to suggest actual Ashland attractions, but do keep in mind that Ashland is very close to Huntington, WV - with plenty to do for all level of activity ability:

City of Huntington, West Virginia
Cabell-Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau, Huntington, West Virginia

Old 12-13-2008, 09:03 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
If you'll be coming soon, Ashland currently has their "Winter Wonderland of Lights" going on, where central park is decorated in an elaborate display of Christmas lights. Its really pretty, and since there's sidewalks, etc, it's easy to navigate. Winterwonderlandof lights

There's also the Paramount Arts Center right there in downtown Ashland... Paramount Arts Center

Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Ashland? Things to do? Not much that I'm aware of.

I haven't been to Ashland in 15 years, but I know several people at work from the Greater Ashland area that have moved on and have no desire to move back.

I know there's the Paramount Arts Center and the rather large Ashland Plaza Hotel in downtown Ashland. I think there's also a medium-sized mall b/t Ashland and Greenup on US 23. Opportunities for recreation exist at Carter Caves and Greenbo Lake State Parks.

For a more metropolitan fix, Huntington and Charleston won't cut it. Lexington, Cincinnati, and Columbus are your closest bets; shoot, Louisville and Pittsburgh aren't terribly far, either.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
If you'll be coming soon, Ashland currently has their "Winter Wonderland of Lights" going on, where central park is decorated in an elaborate display of Christmas lights. Its really pretty, and since there's sidewalks, etc, it's easy to navigate.
Sounds wonderful, but we probably won't make it until the first week or two in January. At this point the reservations are for the very first week, and we hope to get there then. If not I'll have to move it back a week or two.

Quote:
For a more metropolitan fix, Huntington and Charleston won't cut it. Lexington, Cincinnati, and Columbus are your closest bets; shoot, Louisville and Pittsburgh aren't terribly far, either.
We're looking for small places that locals know in the area really. Like a lake that people like to frequent or a small antiques store or something. A small town that has a nice little downtown or town square area with small local shops. We're *hoping* to buy 100 acres or so in the NE KY area and put up a small little cabin. Would love to be in an area that has a town square or something within an hour drive or so that we could go spend a day at. Maybe a nice little cafe for lunch?

The last thing we want is a city or town that's relatively well populated. Not our cup of tea. We like little towns with friendly people. Kind of what we live in now, without the over priced real estate tag.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:22 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Like I said, I don't know much about N.E. Ky., but take a trip down and check it out. The following are small, very rural towns I can think of within 35 miles of Ashland: Tollesboro, Vanceburg, Russell, Greenup, Catlettsburg, Cannonsburg, Grayson, Olive Hill, Sandy Hook, and Louisa. I don't know anything about these towns (the only ones I've been to are the C-burgs, but that was when I was a small child so I don't remember much,) but see if one of them meets your personal criteria. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 PM

33 posts, read 117,807 times
There is the pendelton art gallery, there is a museum downtown.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Like I said, I don't know much about N.E. Ky., but take a trip down and check it out. The following are small, very rural towns I can think of within 35 miles of Ashland: Tollesboro, Vanceburg, Russell, Greenup, Catlettsburg, Cannonsburg, Grayson, Olive Hill, Sandy Hook, and Louisa. I don't know anything about these towns (the only ones I've been to are the C-burgs, but that was when I was a small child so I don't remember much,) but see if one of them meets your personal criteria. Good luck!
Thank you!! It's between home and where we're headed so it's definitely something we can do! Thank you, thank you!!

My great grandparents had a farm outside of Paducah when I was a little girl. I loved my summers there. I remember going to town with them and loved it; just thought it was the most gorgeous little town ever. I've seen some photos since then and am still entranced with it. I'd love to find something like that on the east side of the state!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:25 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
There are alot of lakes in this area.... Greenbo Lake, Grayson Lake, Yatesville Lake, Paintsville Lake. However, it's winter, and it is cold. So sitting beside the water probably won't be on your list of things to do during a January trip.

But like somebody else mentioned, there's a ton of small towns. Grayson, and Louisa are the ones I'm most familiar with (I was raised in Grayson, and now live in the Louisa area.) Main Street in Grayson has alot of little department stores (Ruperts, Horton Bros & Brown, etc), and there's alot of ma & pa type restaurants (as well as the regular chain restaurants) throughout town.

Louisa used to have the Whistle Stop Cafe next to the railroad tracks, but I believe that went out of business a little bit ago. There are some great antique stores, though (Wharf's comes to mind.)

Old 12-17-2008, 04:19 PM

Oooh!!! Antique stores?? That's got to be our favorite. And I can't believe there was a restaurant by the train tracks. My husband loves trains. That would have been perfect for us to stop and eat. He'd probably refuse to leave!!

Thank you for the info. I'll have to start looking into some of the different towns you've mentioned so I know where to take him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky