Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times

Advertisements

Interesting assumptions here, on various posters' parts. I live in an older Lexington neighborhood, where I grew up many years ago. Election results show this area usually voting Democratic in national and state elections (local are non-partisan). I am on good terms with my neighbors, but can't recall EVER discussing politics with any of them! However, at a dinner with high school classmates last night, talk turned to current political matters and most of us were on the same page. With a couple of exceptions. But knowing that each of us had reached our conclusions after considerable thought and research resulted in mutual respect, regardless of a few differences.

I also lived in the Southland-Twin Oaks area of Lexington for over fifteen years. This area is known to be quite conservative and includes many conservative/fundamentalist churches, private schools, and Republican voters. I am a middle-of-the road moderate Democrat, but again, never had any political discussions with my neighbors and got along quite well with most of them (exception being the personality-disordered woman directly behind my house, who directed telephone workers to cut down MY mature tree in MY yard during my absence).

While living in this pleasant area, I also had good friendships with people whose political views were more similar to my own, but few of these friends lived nearby.

I digress. In my experience, being on good terms with one's neighbors has little to do with political leanings or persuasions, unless one pushes one's affiliations and beliefs onto others, unasked. That's not neighborly or friendly, imho. There is plenty of non-political common ground which can be amicably shared by neighbors of almost any political persuasion.

Mutual respect is the key.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,317,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Interesting assumptions here, on various posters' parts. I live in an older Lexington neighborhood, where I grew up many years ago. Election results show this area usually voting Democratic in national and state elections (local are non-partisan). I am on good terms with my neighbors, but can't recall EVER discussing politics with any of them! However, at a dinner with high school classmates last night, talk turned to current political matters and most of us were on the same page. With a couple of exceptions. But knowing that each of us had reached our conclusions after considerable thought and research resulted in mutual respect, regardless of a few differences.

I also lived in the Southland-Twin Oaks area of Lexington for over fifteen years. This area is known to be quite conservative and includes many conservative/fundamentalist churches, private schools, and Republican voters. I am a middle-of-the road moderate Democrat, but again, never had any political discussions with my neighbors and got along quite well with most of them (exception being the personality-disordered woman directly behind my house, who directed telephone workers to cut down MY mature tree in MY yard during my absence).

While living in this pleasant area, I also had good friendships with people whose political views were more similar to my own, but few of these friends lived nearby.

I digress. In my experience, being on good terms with one's neighbors has little to do with political leanings or persuasions, unless one pushes one's affiliations and beliefs onto others, unasked. That's not neighborly or friendly, imho. There is plenty of non-political common ground which can be amicably shared by neighbors of almost any political persuasion.

You caught my drift perfectly! Thank you for putting it into much better words for me.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 PM

163 posts, read 428,787 times
Sorry to go a little off topic, but this is especially true concerning politics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The world would be a better place if more people lived by this truth.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,944 times
Historically, KY has been a state with people with strong political views on both...all...sides. Some people think that KY is a state with mostly conservative radicals. But not so. Kentucky voters are very diverse. Research KY during the Civil War....Not much has changed. There has always been a strong diversive political thought here. I live in Lexington and found it charming that "McCain and Obama" signs were in yards of homes right next to each other. And guess what, the neighbors were saying "Hi" to each other and even perhaps borrowing cups of sugar!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 AM

409 posts, read 873,540 times
I would suggest you consider Danville. It's southwes of Lexington. It's a site of Centre College and also has a high number of people who work in Lexington and communte in everyday.
Danville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Visit Danville/Boyle County!
Danville/Boyle County, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjewell View Post
Moving to Ky from Ca. Have complete flexibility in terms of where we live, but MUST be near some like-minded liberal, progressive adults. What Louisville and Lexington neighborhoods currently have a high concentration of liberal Democrats? Are there any other areas outside these cities where we might find a few like-minded friends?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,542 times
Danville is also a good suggestion. Very nice small town area but relatively close to bigger city amenities. I still think Louisville fits the bill better, but Danville is a nice area.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
you sound like you are describing the Dayton/Cincinnati area again, more on the Dayton side.

While there are substantial liberal pockets in Louisville there are none, or they are weak, in the Dayton area (exception being the village of Yellow Springs, which is sort of a country version of The Highlands or Crescent Hill/Clifton)

So, yes, you'd fit right in in the Louisville areas and there'd be enough of a critical mass of progressives (AKA liberals) so you won't feel too alone or "we few, we happy few...", enough to form a true sociopolitical community rather than just a handfull scattered across the metro area.

Read (or google) The Big Sort by Bob Bishop. It's a book, but there is some web content (articles, Amazon reviews, etc) so you can get the general idea of this phenomenon, which is happening across the political spectrum.
I absolutely agree that the only choice in KY for the OP is the Highlands of Louisville. If you are coming from San Fran and must live in KY, why would you choose anywhere but the states largest and most progressive city, Louisville? I would recommend exploring Louisville by eating your way around the urban nabes. Try joining the free forum s at LouisvilleHotBytes.com for advice.

I honestly wouldn't look elsewhere, unless of course you want to go to a REALLY small town in such a case Berea or somewhere may be an option.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 PM

5 posts, read 10,520 times
In Lexington, I would imagine many of the neighborhoods around UK would have some liberal people because a lot of college professors live there and so often, college professors are pretty liberal. I'm in KY, but in Bowling Green. Got lucky. During the elections you see nothing but signs up and down our street supporting democrats. Such a great view.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:10 AM

80 posts, read 198,799 times
Man I dont want anymore liberals in Kentucky

Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopi5 View Post
Man I dont want anymore liberals in Kentucky
Yeah, because after a half-century of almost exclusive control by conservatives, Kentucky is in such good shape!

Juuuussst kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky