Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

The deliciosity factor of the worst foods is just too high.....that is not going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 06:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
So, I pose this: What can be done to solve Kentucky's ongoing obesity problem? Yes, I know the die-hard-at-all-cost boosters will just blow it off with, "Well, it's a national problem." But seriously, what can be done? The state's Transportation Cabinet has already done a fairly good job at installing bike lanes along major streets in Louisville, Lexington, Versailles, and Harrodsburg and I hope KYTC keeps that up! Louisville and Owensboro now have bike beltlines that pretty much allow you to go around their perimeters by bicycle.

Will it take a cultural shift in promoting healthy eating and more active lifestyles? Can Louisville and Lexington set examples by taking the initiative and lead of cities like Chicago, Minneapolis and Raleigh?

Discuss.

What can be done is humans can take responsibility for themselves and their actions and choose to lose weight and quit eating all the processed junk

OR

they can choose to continue to eat and live as they do because it is THEIR CHOICE TO DO SO............

enough said

Old 02-07-2012, 09:22 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
There is alot of irony in this thread. My wife and I used to live in eastern KY. Since moving to NC, we've had a combined weight loss of 150lbs (50 for me, 100 for the wife). Location had very little to do with our weight loss. We just simply decided that "hey, we're gonna do it!!!". We've lost our weight in about 14 months. Here's how we did it....

Drinks
-no more alcohol (probably the toughest thing to give up for most folks)
-unsweetened tea with splenda instead of sugar (same with kool aid)
-try to stay away from sodas, but if you must, make sure it's a diet
-limit your juice to "light" or "diet" juice. Another trick is to water down your juice drinks a little

Food
-fast food can be good if you order dry salads (use your own dressing though). Also, get fruit instead of fries
-cut back on the cereals, pancakes, and grits. focus more on egg white omelets and turkey bacon
-go with wheat (or fiber) bread instead of white bread. At the fast food restaurants, simply order your favorite sandwich and use your own store bought bread. Give the fast food bread to the birds, they LOVE it
-Subway and Jersey Mike's are your BEST friends. So is your local supermarket deli.
-Stay away from the "3 Ps" (pasta, pizza, pies)

Activity/Excercise
-get a gym membership and use it. people tend to work out longer and harder in groups than when alone
-if you can't afford a gym membership, quit smoking and drinking alcohol (then you'll be able to afford 4 gym memberships)
-if available, use your area's mass transit when it is convenient. a mass transit rider can easily burn 200-400 more calories per day than a car-only person (and you save tons of money on gas too; thus helping you afford your gym membership).
-excercise on your lunch breaks. In many cases, it's an hour long. use ten minutes of that time to at least walk (if nothing else)
-play with your kids (instead of "sending them out" to play). kids naturally enjoy play grounds, sports, bike riding, skateboarding etc. do some of these things with your kids. you'll lose weight and you'll have a better relationship with your kids too.
-wash the car by hand instead of automatic washes (saves money and burns calories)

In short, weight loss is a life style change. One doesn't just "change for the weight loss" then go back to "business as usual". Noooooooo, you change your habits for the rest of your life. It's not hard, it really isn't. It just takes a little effort and education on how to live a healthier life. Today, my wife and I are by NO MEANS "skinny". However, we can jog a mile together; we can also ride bikes for 10-15 miles (without stopping). We both are much better at jump roping. Best of all, we don't have to squeeze into the seats of our favorite roller coasters or go karts any longer. You just can't put a price on that factor (being able to enjoy life).

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 02-07-2012 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 AM

71 posts, read 122,374 times
Default Sugar is NOT Sugar

It's all in the food,, the seeds are controlled by Monsantos,,, Monsantos feeds the crops round-up (GMO).. cows eat the corn,,,we eat the cows thus eat more corn,,, we eat evertything made with corn syrup which is not easily broken down in the body,,,, so sugar is NOT sugar,,,, we're fat and they're making money on us being fat....

Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Have you seen the movie/documentary ~ "Food Inc." It's shocking, and a real eye opener,
you might never look at some foods and companies the same again. (Netflix has it. Other places too, I am sure).

Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
The magic bullet that has always worked for me is to drink only water.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes818 View Post
It's all in the food,, the seeds are controlled by Monsantos,,, Monsantos feeds the crops round-up (GMO).. cows eat the corn,,,we eat the cows thus eat more corn,,, we eat evertything made with corn syrup which is not easily broken down in the body,,,, so sugar is NOT sugar,,,, we're fat and they're making money on us being fat....
I agree with you 100%. Monsanto is the WORST of the WORST and the people are getting wise to their evils.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:16 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I tell people to actually avoid eating anything with WHEAT, SOY, or CORN due to the fact that big agribusiness conglomerates like MONSANTO and CARGILL are creating these FRAKENFOOD GMO products. I NOW have food allergies that I did not have decades ago, and I think it has to do with all of the modifications that have taken place in our food supply. I have completely phased out wheat, soy, and only eat organic corn. I have gone back to basics and eat lots of vegetables, fruits, tapioca bread, some potatoes, etc.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:34 AM

442 posts, read 540,086 times
Quote:
But seriously, what can be done? The state's Transportation Cabinet has already done a fairly good job at installing bike lanes along major streets in Louisville, Lexington, Versailles, and Harrodsburg and I hope KYTC keeps that up!
Last time I checked, Lexington had a joke of a "trail system" and 4-5 marked bike lanes in the entire city.

That+the sprawl found in all of the above cities are a big part of why we're car-cultured fatties.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I also think that people in rural Kentucky have lost touch with country life. My ancestors in Harlan County stayed fit and healthly into their 80s but climbing the mountains daily to maintain Ginseng fields and gardens. Today most people down there (and throughout rural America) sit on their butt all day and watch cable tv.

There are so many wonderful places to hike to in EKY it's unthinkable that so many people living next to those sites are obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky