Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
Last time I checked, Lexington had a joke of a "trail system" and 4-5 marked bike lanes in the entire city.

That+the sprawl found in all of the above cities are a big part of why we're car-cultured fatties.
My hubby has took up hiking the hiking trails in Lexington almost daily and has lost over 20 pounds and dropped several pants sizes.(In just 3 or 4 months.) So, yes, they can be utilized and they arent' so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 12:19 PM

442 posts, read 539,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
My hubby has took up hiking the hiking trails in Lexington almost daily and has lost over 20 pounds and dropped several pants sizes.(In just 3 or 4 months.) So, yes, they can be utilized and they arent' so bad.
If you live inside of New Circle (AKA you come from money or are willing to live in a less than savory neighborhood).

Old 02-11-2012, 02:57 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beilart View Post
Sorry, there is no cure for diabetes. A healthier lifestyle will help you live longer with diabetes but there is no absolute cure.
Yes, but many fat diabetics, adult onset, can get off pills and injections if they exercise regularly and lose weight and eat no sugared foods.

If they had done those things all their lives, many would never have had a diagnosis of diabetes.

Some of the diets that diabetics are put on, where they can have things in moderation, keep them paying drug companies. I would think they would vie for optimum health through following a good low carb diet like the South Beach Diet and cut out sugars completely. After that, see if they need additional help through drugs and insulin.

Do you think we have all these new diabetics in the country, younger and younger, because diabetes is contagious? No way, it's because we are increasingly fat and inactive. Years back, people lived their entire life with that diabetic gene and never knew they had it because the lifestyle was different. And it's not that medicine has gotten all that better in detecting it, either. It is US. We are our own worst enemy.

Note that I do not say ALL adult onset diabetics, but MANY.

Last edited by goldengrain; 02-11-2012 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 03:32 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,400 times
I've figured out that you just can't help some people so I worry about myself. Personally, I feel better & sleep better if I eat good food + get plenty of exercise so it's not a chore for me to live a healthy lifestyle. I couldn't imagine sitting on my ass all day and eating fast food or processed crap 3x a day. I'd be miserable.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What can be done is humans can take responsibility for themselves and their actions and choose to lose weight and quit eating all the processed junk

OR

they can choose to continue to eat and live as they do because it is THEIR CHOICE TO DO SO............

enough said
Easy. If you are overweight, it is likely because your body produces too much insulin, which is the hormone that regulates fat storage in your body.

Of the three macro nutrient groups, protein, fat and carbohydrates, the only one that impacts insulin production in your body are carbohydrates. The more carbohydrates you eat, the more insulin you produce, the fatter you are.

Of course, not all carbohydrates have the same effect on insulin production. The leafy green vegetables have little impact on insulin production and otherwise contain many importan nutrients.

Do not eat refined carbs at all, including sugar, flour, and starchy foods like rice and potatos and grains. Restrict the carbohydrates you eat to healthy vegetables and get most of your calories from protein and healthy animal fat, YES FAT. I agree that you should stay away from processed food to the greatest extent possible.

Your appetite will drop, you will lose weight whether you exercise or not, your cardiac risk factors will normalize, blood pressure will normalize. In other words, you will become healthy.

Excercise is of course beneficial, but the key is what fuels your body. You can exercise all you want and you won't achieve health or weight loss if you don't correct what you eat.

I've read of many people who were diagnosed with TYpe II diabetes and essentially have no need for medication after they go on a low carb diet and stick to it.

Suggested reading: Atkins diet, Gary Taubes books (why we get fat and what to do about it, good calories, bad carolies)Wheat Belly.

Sweden is now having a low carb, high fat diet craze. Norway recently suffered a butter shortage for the same reason.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Easy. If you are overweight, it is likely because your body produces too much insulin, which is the hormone that regulates fat storage in your body.

Of the three macro nutrient groups, protein, fat and carbohydrates, the only one that impacts insulin production in your body are carbohydrates. The more carbohydrates you eat, the more insulin you produce, the fatter you are.

Of course, not all carbohydrates have the same effect on insulin production. The leafy green vegetables have little impact on insulin production and otherwise contain many importan nutrients.

Do not eat refined carbs at all, including sugar, flour, and starchy foods like rice and potatos and grains. Restrict the carbohydrates you eat to healthy vegetables and get most of your calories from protein and healthy animal fat, YES FAT. I agree that you should stay away from processed food to the greatest extent possible.

Your appetite will drop, you will lose weight whether you exercise or not, your cardiac risk factors will normalize, blood pressure will normalize. In other words, you will become healthy.

Excercise is of course beneficial, but the key is what fuels your body. You can exercise all you want and you won't achieve health or weight loss if you don't correct what you eat.

I've read of many people who were diagnosed with TYpe II diabetes and essentially have no need for medication after they go on a low carb diet and stick to it.

Suggested reading: Atkins diet, Gary Taubes books (why we get fat and what to do about it, good calories, bad carolies)Wheat Belly.

Sweden is now having a low carb, high fat diet craze. Norway recently suffered a butter shortage for the same reason.
Another, moderate version of Atkins is the South Beach Diet.

So many people who are diagnosed as diabetic are put on a diet that allows all foods in moderation, along with a weight loss diet, along with the drugs and/or shots. The problem is, as you've said, is that the drugs and shots are insulin or act like insulin or encourage your body to produce more. This CAUSES you to gain weight which screws up your diet.

The diet that they put diabetics on really helps the drug companies, because it forces you to stay on their products. It is better to get a really GOOD diet for your body's needs and either drop or minimize the drugs.

What they really need is a sugar free diet, including no fruits and especially no fruit juices, no sugars at all, no refined carbs. I would minimize fats and mostly eat lean meats, greens (especially leafy); and slowly metabolizing carbs like whole grain pasta and brown rice in moderation.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,478 times
Time for a couple of Whopper's from Burger King....woohoo.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
Kentuckians need to eat more fast food (it's good for you!) and drink more beer. Make your goal a XXXXXXXL!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Eat less and exercise.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:26 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
It is up to the individual to loose weight by cutting down and exercising...anything over and above that, is the desire for others to control people and they're life styles and living habits...while I agree, being over weight is bad, it's no one else's business...this is still a free country...
Yanno, I remember when they were all on that smoking kick...people said, next it will be overweight people...and it has come to fruition.
Control your own lives and let others alone. While, I agree, there is a definate overweight problem, it is none of my business.
I wish people like the op would take all that energy, and invest it in all the chemicals we're ingesting in our systems, our water, our foods...or why not pillage all the sexual child abusers...get awareness going on that?

I'm not trying to be mean, however, you cannot tell people how to live they're lives, and there are more important problems in this country at this time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky