Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 05:46 PM

23 posts, read 44,759 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see more rural broadband initiatives. Phone companies moving from copper to fiber allowed me to move back to eastern kentucky and work from the farm. Honestly, I don't know how people near where my place is get by... there is no employment to speak of that I can tell other than a small handful of service jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 07:24 PM

73,181 posts, read 62,867,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrne View Post
I'd like to see more rural broadband initiatives. Phone companies moving from copper to fiber allowed me to move back to eastern kentucky and work from the farm. Honestly, I don't know how people near where my place is get by... there is no employment to speak of that I can tell other than a small handful of service jobs.
I didn't know there were places that were still on copper.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillWilliam View Post
I see a lot of mention of documentaries and seein this and that on TV, that can be no substitute for actually livin in these areas. None of those tv shows are 100% unbiased, so you have to wake them with a grain of salt like anything on tv these days. I imagine a lot of the violence is drug related and if you don't run in those crowds, you will more then likely never run into it first hand or most of the problems associated with that negative lifestyle.
Are you saying that what was being said isn't true?

Old 07-20-2014, 06:28 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,538,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I didn't know there were places that were still on copper.
I work for a contractor company that maps telecom infrastructure. Nearly ALL cable tv signals (that includes internet / wifi) do start out on fiber optic cable but that always finish the "last mile" on coax / copper cable. Modems interpret radio wave signals. Fiber optic signals are in laser light pulse, a node converts the signal to radio waves and sends down copper cables as such. A large customer may have a converting node right at their building. But anyhoo it's still on some copper

Old 07-20-2014, 06:35 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,538,990 times
Quote:
I think his point is that everyone in Eastern KY is not obese, drug dealing, living off SSI, etc. There are still a lot of regular hard working people there. They do have a higher proportion of those problems than any where else. It's like West Louisville. It's unquestionably the worst part of Louisville but there are still lots of hard working law abiding people living there. There's more people that are bad there.

My family that still lives in E KY are the "bad" type, so it probably colors my perception of that region. I had an uncle murdered (he was rumored to sell drugs), I have cousins who don't work and grow marijuana while collecting a check, etc. Further back on the family tree there are a lot of moonshiners and people killed in family feuds lol.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think his point is that everyone in Eastern KY is not obese, drug dealing, living off SSI, etc. There are still a lot of regular hard working people there. They do have a higher proportion of those problems than any where else. It's like West Louisville. It's unquestionably the worst part of Louisville but there are still lots of hard working law abiding people living there. There's more people that are bad there.

My family that still lives in E KY are the "bad" type, so it probably colors my perception of that region. I had an uncle murdered (he was rumored to sell drugs), I have cousins who don't work and grow marijuana while collecting a check, etc. Further back on the family tree there are a lot of moonshiners and people killed in family feuds lol.
I never said everyone over there was obese and drug dealing,etc. I said there are alot of problems with drugs, poverty, and joblessness. I mentioned there are many problems taking place and that it is a hard life there.

Some of what you have mentioned sounds similar to what can be found in the inner city.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 AM

65 posts, read 112,552 times
Quote:
I'm sayin a lot of it is exaggerated to make for good tv watchin, thats all. Probably the worst thing to happen to this entire region of the USA was to get cable and internet there, now even the mountain kids can emulate the thug culture

Old 07-20-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillWilliam View Post
I'm sayin a lot of it is exaggerated to make for good tv watchin, thats all. Probably the worst thing to happen to this entire region of the USA was to get cable and internet there, now even the mountain kids can emulate the thug culture
I didn't see any thug culture represented in those documentaries. Now, how was any of that exaggerated, particularly Diane Sawyer's documentary?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:40 PM

65 posts, read 112,552 times
Not gonna get into a whizzin match, you'll see what you want to see.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:20 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,255,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

I agree, it's soo unfortunate..
By the way in the risk of thread drift, have any of you ever heard of the documentary about the wild "moonshinin" "pot-growing" bunch down in Washington (Warshinton) and Marion county around Lebanon south of Louisville? The book was called "The Cornbread Mafia" and I'm not sure if I'm proud to say this but I'm related to most of those folks in that book, I found out through some geneology research that took me to that area...probably about 3rd cousins something like that LOL. Those guys were some of the biggest moonshiners and pot runners in all of Kentucky....and some of them are currently staying at the "Eddyville Hilton" and resort nowadays.

The 2nd great grandfather of a few of those guys is the brother of my 2nd great grandfather who also was born in "Raywick" Kentucky. I ain't naming surnames, ....a little too close to Louisville LOL

These are some of my distant kin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornbread_mafia

One of them was on "Americas Most Wanted" I'm sure that many of ya'll around Louisville probably remember hearing about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky