Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:26 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times

Advertisements

The strip-mining of the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
Finally, dunno what "education" has to do with quality of life.

Sorry folks, as usual clicheed advice and opinion on this forum coming from outa staters strikes me strange. Its like all of the good points i like are things that bulk outa staters wanna change.
What does "education" have to do with quality of life?????

Let me see, the lower the education level of a population correlates to higher poverty rates, higher cancer rates, higher obsety rates, higher rates of teenage pregnancy, higher rates of drug and alcohol abuse... This attitude is what is wrong with much of rural Kentucky. Education is frowned upon as betraying your roots by too large a percentage of the population. The attitude is "my grandpappy never went to school past 6th grade, if it was good enough for him, it is good enough for me". The cycle of poverty continues.

I assume you are referring to me as an out of stater, but I lived in KY for the first 25 years of my life. I basically had to leave to get a good job in my field of study because there are virtually no technology based jobs in KY.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM

149 posts, read 764,374 times
"Here" is presently 30-40 minutes East of Glasgow. Used to be Radcliff until gov work dried up. Am something of homeless nomad, former truck driver after divorce couple yrs ago. Specifically Edmonton population less than 5,000 has hollow shells from abandonned chains that failed. Dairy Queen went broke because everybody likes the mom'n pop burger stand and/or combo gas station fried chicken lunch counter better. Pizza Hut's gone outa business twice, caint compete with local combo pizza/movie rental.

Meanwhile in all fairness, Glasgow Walmart *used* to be excellent - fun to shop with stuff you dont see in other walmarts. Then they expanded and "modernized" to new location on rte.90 leaving massive hole with suffering and dying smaller chains like cell-phone store next door in what now is practically ghost town shopping center not far from town center. City councilmen allowing Wally's World to ditch the old locale for the sake of "growth and development" reek of corrupt city gov planning and zoning if you ask me. And the new sterile Walmart sucks compared with the old that was more like an indoor village of sporting goods, food and clothes departments. Employees aint real happy with new modernized walmart either, thats what hurts the most.

Meanwhile on the bright side small businesses flourish: One guy in Glasgow has startup business collecting used fryer cooking oil, filters and makes his own diesel fuel that he sells for $1.70 per gallon. Somebody else raises rabbits marketing the meat through restaurants and sells hides to seamstress, she makes fur hats outa em. Tobacconists wife in Radcliff is amateur herbologist - she grows and collects spices, herbs, wild mushrooms and gins'ng sold behind the counter. Local computer repair on post at Ft.Knox guarantees labor charge at maxiumum $85 for ALL repairs plus cost of parts. None of this entrepreneurial spirit's possible under "chain store" mentality.

Growth and Development with strip malls and chain stores ROTS the commonwealth says me. I guess its a question of how 'citified' one county or another wants to become, or how corrupt at fattening hogs on top of the food chain by handing out tax advantages, development bennies to high dollar national chains and real estate barons.

Missymomof3, thanks for the link - I wanna buy one of those coffee mugs!! Would be excellent if moderators here attached *sticky thread* to include links to Kentucky products at top of this page. There's millions of craftsmen in the woods, some are world famous like the guy makin guitars for rock'n roll stars somewhere near Moorehead I've read about. He refuses to leave his shop in the country and millionaire hollywood guitar players must spend 1-2 weeks visiting and camping in guest trailer on call for custom fitting of guitar neck and fingerboard to spec. I think he builds something like 15-20 custom hand-made guitars per year.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 PM

149 posts, read 764,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
What does "education" have to do with quality of life?????

Let me see, the lower the education level of a population correlates to higher poverty rates, higher cancer rates, higher obsety rates, higher rates of teenage pregnancy, higher rates of drug and alcohol abuse...
Strange, aint seen any of that where I'm located. Personally consider myself well educated too, but never needed or used any school credents in work I've done. Niether do i choose friends according to how much schooling they've got. Meanwhile 'poverty' is strictly state of mind. Out here in boondocks we make no distinction defined by academic credentials or earned income for that matter.

(edit: everything else, high-tech nonsense and whatnot strikes me as rat race choir - exactly the stuff i like to avoid.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:00 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
Missymomof3, thanks for the link - I wanna buy one of those coffee mugs!! Would be excellent if moderators here attached *sticky thread* to include links to Kentucky products at top of this page. There's millions of craftsmen in the woods, some are world famous like the guy makin guitars for rock'n roll stars somewhere near Moorehead I've read about. He refuses to leave his shop in the country and millionaire hollywood guitar players must spend 1-2 weeks visiting and camping in guest trailer on call for custom fitting of guitar neck and fingerboard to spec. I think he builds something like 15-20 custom hand-made guitars per year.
You're welcome and I agree, there should be links for Kentucky crafted goods.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:21 PM

90 posts, read 347,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dee View Post
The roads to narrow but coming from Texas where the roads are wide Its been an adjustment.other than that and it being colder in the winter.its not a bad place to live.food is about the same.cost of living about the same too.about the roads they are getting better where they have made them wider.
Diamond Dee, I was just telling one of the Canadian's here on the Island, I can't wait to get back to Ky. I'm always complaining to my husband and his family about how narrow all the roads and parking places are here. I admit the roads are more narrow in Ky than in Texas.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:55 AM

13 posts, read 79,999 times
There are a lot of narrow roads in this area, Spencer County has a lot of them, as there are alot in Anderson County. Being as I live in the far end of Spencer County I've seen a lot of them.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Default GB Lady the worst thing is

The Packers are in GB and you aren't here yet.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:13 PM

52 posts, read 154,584 times
Tomocox -- I agree!

Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
im too far from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky