Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 05:07 PM

149 posts, read 185,553 times

Advertisements

As some of you know Sheri and I are retiring to Mayfield this year!! We are relocating from Western NY!! Needless to say it's been a challenge up here this winter! I have been running the snow blower EVERY day for the past couple of weeks! We have nowhere else to put the snow!! I have about 40" on the flat in my backyard!! AND to make matters even better our high temperature tomorrow is going to be -5F... that's the high they are calling for!!

We can't wait to make our move!! I know it's been cold in SW KY this winter, but this is just crazy! Our area usually doesn't get much snow as we are between the lakes here and the wind typically doesn't favor us for "lake-effect" snow like other areas around us! We normally miss all the big ones by about 10-15 miles. Lake-effect is a strange thing, and you couldn't imagine it unless you live in this area!!

According to that little rodent in PA (you know that groundhog fella) we have about 6 more weeks of this stuff!!

WELL, at least this is our last winter up here!!

MO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 12:27 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Looking forward to you moving down here but leave all that snow up there! I don't mind a good snow of maybe 8-10", but that's enough. lol

Old 02-15-2015, 05:14 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Looking forward to you moving down here but leave all that snow up there! I don't mind a good snow of maybe 8-10", but that's enough. lol
Good thing you don't mind "a good snow of maybe 8-10'" -" - check tomorrow's forecast!

Wind chills are well below zero this morning, and local supermarkets are going to be crowded with the usual milk-and-bread shoppers this afternoon. Self included...

OP, you'll find Kentucky gets just enough snow and old weather to make you reminisce about your present home. The pay-off is the beautiful spring which will follow.

Eventually...

Old 02-15-2015, 07:37 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Craig, My wife works for an income tax company that sets up in Walmarts. I went out to take her some lunch yesterday when all they were calling for was 1-2", and the panic had started. I saw one couple with two carts completely full. And I heard something about all this stupid snow panic buying. Once the snow melts, some people will take all those groceries back to Walmart to get their money back, which Walmart does. Bad thing about it is they are not allowed to put any of that food, including what's in cans, back on the shelf. The only place they are allowed to put it, by law, is the dumpster.
I'm looking forward to this snow. Moman, the last two weeks of February is usually the best time to see a good snow. We do get snow other times during the winter of course. When I worked for the state highway department we looked forward to these February snows. Our pay periods went 1st to the 15 and 16 to the 30th. With Feb. being a short month, our pay period for that time was always a day short. So this February snow put overtime in our check.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:35 AM

G,
I plan on leaving the snow back here when I head down! Getting a snowfall late in February isn't so bad, at least it's not for 6 months!!

Craig, that is exactly what we are looking for! We did a 3 year stint in southern CA. back in the late 70's, that weather was nice, but the crazy people out there were just too much for us! I'll welcome an occasional snowfall every now and then, but nothing like what we've seen!!

Old 02-15-2015, 12:46 PM

Some predictions now indicate Central Kentucky may receive up to 14 inches. That's plenty for me, especially with more very cold temps to follow later this coming week.

There's also a possibility of the I-word...ice! But snow looks more likely, fortunately. I went through the big ice storm twelve years ago today and that was enough for one lifetime, as big tree branches came spearing through my roof and ceiling into my house. I was without power for about eight days, longer for phone service, so no internet (dial-up back then) either. Cooking over a wood-burning fireplace loses its charm by day three, but I was thankful to have that fireplace, my only source of heat, just as I was thankful for my oil lamps, candles and battery powered radio.

Maybe I'd better start rounding up my ice storm survival equipment, just in case...

Stay safe and warm, everyone.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:23 PM

You guys be careful down there! We're used to dealing with, and are pretty well prepared for this type of stuff! You guys down there where it's not the norm... not so much!!
I suggest you hunker down, and deal with it later!!
I'm keeping an eye on the weather, and hoping you catch a break!!

MO

Old 02-16-2015, 05:08 PM

How you guys making out down there??
It's been crazy cold here the past few days!!

I was out snow blowing yesterday (-3F outside). I was doing the neighbor ladies driveway, when I got into her dog chain laying out a little too far. Wrapped that thing around my augers before I knew what happened. There I was laying in the snow, trying to free things up, but no luck.
I went to my buddies house and borrowed a pair of bolt cutters, and unfortunately had to cut the chain in about 8 places!!
Good thing is the snow blower survived, and other than the chain, no real harm!!

Check in here, and let me know you guys are doing alright down there!!

MO

Old 02-17-2015, 01:56 PM

536 posts, read 961,139 times
Moman,

It's a useless cold here today. We ended up with a little over 10" of snow in Grant County and now the temp is dropping fast again. I'm sure you will be glad to get out of NY, you all got blasted last year too. It's warmer in Alaska than here today! Winter is over rated! About this time of year I am ready for spring as with most folks. They are calling for more snow and sub zero temps tonight. I do believe you will find winters a bit milder in Western KY! Are you moving down this summer? Happy for you! We are still looking into that area as well. :-)

Take care and stay warm!
Tamara

Old 02-17-2015, 06:49 PM

Joined five of my neighbors in shoveling the ten inches of snow from our sidewalks this morning - we joked that it was our social activity for the week. No sign of any snow plows on our suburban street - one neighbor had his late-teenaged grandsons pushing his car along the road to the corner (the corner street did get plowed), while he steered and spun his tires. One of the grandsons said he'd parked his own car about three blocks away in a shopping center lot, then walked the rest of the way to our impassible street.

Today was clear, with bright blue skies, but still very cold, and temps are dropping tonight, with two or so more inches of snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow, before the bottom drops out tomorrow night and stays there on Thursday: ten below, brrr. Then Friday warms up to around 20, but more snow or sleet or ice or rain - they can't decide yet - should arrive on Saturday and Sunday, when the high will be somewhere between 30-35.

Good thing I made a big batch of spaghetti this afternoon, since it's unlikely I'll get to the grocery store - or anywhere else!- anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: