Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,900 times

Advertisements

Our family has been hoping to move to one of the more rural areas around Cranberry for awhile, for commuting reasons as well as having some more space (we're in Ross township now). Lately I've been hearing that the properties up there are going to spike next year when the new Westinghouse plant opens and that's terrible news for us, because moving sooner than next year will be hard. We've taken a bad financial hit this year and DH wants to put the move off yet again. But I'm afraid if we don't get up there soon, the house prices will jump out of reach for us. Anyone with any inside information on what's expected in that area, real estate-wise? I guess I'm hoping the predictions I've heard are exaggerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 12:39 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
This was mentioned in a recent thread. I think the prices have already started rising.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemorgan View Post
Our family has been hoping to move to one of the more rural areas around Cranberry for awhile, for commuting reasons as well as having some more space (we're in Ross township now). Lately I've been hearing that the properties up there are going to spike next year when the new Westinghouse plant opens and that's terrible news for us, because moving sooner than next year will be hard. We've taken a bad financial hit this year and DH wants to put the move off yet again. But I'm afraid if we don't get up there soon, the house prices will jump out of reach for us. Anyone with any inside information on what's expected in that area, real estate-wise? I guess I'm hoping the predictions I've heard are exaggerated.
What is you price range ?

I am moving to DC and getting ready to put our home on the market in Harmony. Brick and almost 3 acres. Lets make a deal and we can forgo the realtors.

Will be listing for around $430K, have not finalized yet.

P.S. Pond at bottom of property edge.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 AM

86 posts, read 423,290 times
Rising?

I want to leave cranberry and head to Florida. I cant sell my 4 br house in fernway for a mere 95K...at this rate I'll never get to FL. I may try a lease option next.

I guess it all depends on if you want a mansion or not...Mine isnt, but its very livable.

Shawn

Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,900 times
Default Shawn: can't find your town on my map

Hi Shawn: where is Fernway? How far is it from Cranberry? Land? We wanted some real acreage, which would be most of our motivation for the move. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:29 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemorgan View Post
Hi Shawn: where is Fernway? How far is it from Cranberry? Land? We wanted some real acreage, which would be most of our motivation for the move. Thanks!
Fernway is one of the first, if not THE first housing development of Cranberry. It's located on the land between Freedom Rd and Rochester Road and the part of Haine School Road near Rochester Rd.

These homes were built on slabs for the most part, so no basements (at least the ones I've been in, and I've been in several), and the street names are all very Robin Hoody -- like Robin Hood Dr. Devonshire, Queenswood, Chadbourne Ct....

This was "build it quick after WWII" housing. It's rather plain, unless updated. I remember growing up a lot of people felt the homes were cheaply built. But they've stood the test of time -- they are over 50 years old. It's lost that "development" look, and has changed into a neighborhood.

However, if you want real acreage, Fernway isn't for you.

If you are looking for close access to Cranberry but with a large amount of land, look down Rochester Rd/Freedom Rd just over the Beaver County line. Beaver taxes are lower than Cranberry (whose are lower than Allegheny) and that little corner of Beaver Co, butts right at Butler and Allegheny Counties. There are farms and houses with acreage there. Last time I looked (and it has been a while) there was a small horse ranch on Lovi Rd. available, 15 acres, and a very nice stables.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:29 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
There's a reason those homes are on slabs, it's a flood zone.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM

86 posts, read 423,290 times
Robinhood is, Dover and Chadborne are, however, Devonshire isn't as my house luckily sits on a hill..at the top of the hill..I guess i lucked out..

Shawn

Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
Robinhood is, Dover and Chadborne are, however, Devonshire isn't as my house luckily sits on a hill..at the top of the hill..I guess i lucked out..

Shawn
Hey, Shawn -- do you know when your home was built? We moved to Cranberry in the fall of 1964, and Fernway was already there, but Sun Valley wasn't. I played in the houses being built in Sun Valley.

And do the slabs have radiant floor heating? When I was very little we lived in Transfer, PA in a house that had that -- my Mom LOVED that house. She has skinny cold feet and that heat radiating through the floor was wonderful.

Daddy always said Fernway was built on the cranberry bogs Cranberry was named for... so it has a high water table. Dig down a few feet and you hit water. But my beloved late father was a bit of a yarn spinner, so I don't know if that's true.

I wouldn't mind living in a house with no basement at all.... but if memory serves all the houses were Colonial. Not my favorite thing. Sun Valley at least had a few fauxz Eichler-y looking houses...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
No to radiant heat.

Yes to high water table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh