Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 16,564 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I recently moved to Seven Fields, and we're having some trouble finding fun (and cheap!) things to do on the weekends. I'm also trying to find some trails/parks/outdoor activities around us, but I'm not having much luck and would appreciate some insider tips. We're definitely not against going into the city, but we're trying to find some fun things to do on the weekends close to home as well. We love spending time outdoors, trying unique bars/restaurants, concerts/music festivals, finding new cultural & culinary experiences (haha)...we like spending time off the beaten path.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,143 times
Moraine state park, McConnell mills are great outdoor spots and not far at all. Moraine has a nice bike path for easy riding snd some very tough mountain biking trails, mcconnels area is great for hiking and site seeing. There are plenty of places to bike around butler county. You can look for community events in cranberry, mars, zelianople but I would not say it is a hot bed of cultural events. I love butler county for the farms and outdoor activities...mainly biking.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 PM

62 posts, read 98,927 times
I live in Cranberry, but I end up taking the family into the city at least twice a month just because you can't find a lot of what the city has to offer in Cranberry. That being said, as the previous poster stated, Morraine and Mconnels Mill are both excellent parks. North park is nice too for a walk or biking. If you don't mind driving a bit further (I realize you asked for around the area, but I thought I would include this), there is a lot other great places for outdoor activity day trips. Around the Franklin/Oil City is a nice bike trail that follows the Allgheny river. I have heard Ohiopyle and Cuyahoga parks are nice to visit too (unforunately I haven't made it there yet).

As far as night life, there is a new music venue in Warrendale called Jergels. I have not been there yet, and I have read mixed reviews on the food, but their music offerings don't seem too bad. Jergel's Rhythm Grille - Live Music Venue, Bar, Restaurant in Warrendale, PA

I recommend Cliffords in Evans city for a nice culinary experience. The rolls and the homemade salad dressing alone is worth going for. Direction

Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,701,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
Moraine state park, McConnell mills are great outdoor spots and not far at all. Moraine has a nice bike path for easy riding snd some very tough mountain biking trails, mcconnels area is great for hiking and site seeing. There are plenty of places to bike around butler county. You can look for community events in cranberry, mars, zelianople but I would not say it is a hot bed of cultural events. I love butler county for the farms and outdoor activities...mainly biking.

Morraine and Mconnells Mills are great, but one of the crown jewels of the Allegheny County Park System, North Park, is just below you, and is a much much shorter drive. Probably no more than 8 miles from you. Miles of trails, both paved and off road, a beautiful lake that is stalked with fish and used by boats and kayakers,etc.

I feel blessed living in the city. I am in walking, running, and cycling distance of Frick and Schenley parks. The long lines of traffic leaving and coming back to Wexford/Warrendale/Cranberry/Seven Fields turn my stomach.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:08 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
The others are pointing you in the right direction for closest outdoor stuff. North Park is surprisingly varied for a county park and it's really just south of you. And you can easily get there without heading over to 79 or 19 (which can be nice to avoid at times). In fact, that would be the preferred way from Seven Fields, I would think. 79 doesn't get you any closer to North Park anyway.

Couple places to try for food/drink: Burgh'ers in Harmony (in a strip mall on 19 just north of downtown Zelienople, you can get on 79 to go here unless you want a leisurely drive). Unless you're vegetarian this is a great spot. Amazing burgers, other good food specials and now full bar with interesting cocktail menu. Mad Mex is fun, if you haven't tried it, though not particularly off the beaten path since there are several around the area. Quasi Mexcian-inspired food and good drinks, happy hour with half-off drafts and cheap house margaritas if you're home early enough (it's from 4:30-6:30). This is on 19 across from Rochester Rd (from 228 for example, go north on 19), next to Rite Aid. There's a brand new Indian restaurant with attached Indian grocer on 19 just south of that, across from Streets of Cranberry. It's called Mirchi. Haven't tried yet, just heard of it a couple days ago. No drinking there unless you BYOB (which is allowed and mentioned which means they'll provide glasses for you, etc). Double Wide Grill has opened on 228. With the elaborate new box it looks like a chain (and maybe it will be, maybe it's a sort of prototype) but it's really only the second one so barely a chain, based on original in the city which really was made out of a gas station. I haven't been in the new one yet because it's been quite jammed. Also in that plaza by Double Wide and behind Walgreens on 228, there is Artisan Pizza. This is really amazing food, but you can't eat it there. They make a take home and bake pizza. We've gotten this a few times, it's really good! For pizza out or already baked, another poster would recommend Luciano's, which is on 228 closer to Mars. I haven't tried that yet. Some of these probably aren't exactly cheap, not sure.

The bigger state store (wine and spirits) with more selection is over in central Cranberry in the lower level of "Cranberry Mall" strip plaza where the movie theaters are. Enter off Freedom Rd (228, straight across 19, then left at 2nd light). For basics, though, the little store on 228 by Giant Eagle is fine. Not like the price is different, LOL. The Cranberry Giant Eagle off 19 has much more beer selection than the Seven Fields Giant Eagle (Cranberry is an independently owned Giant Eagle and does things a bit differently sometimes). Places to buy 6-packs that aren't bars are few and far between for now. If you want a case of beer, several distributors are around. Yeah, welcome to PA with stupid alcohol laws.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,947 times
For outdoor recreation, you're pretty close to a lot of options, as others have mentioned. I agree that North Park has great amenities and lots of activities, from walking and running to biking and hiking. This time of year marks the start of the county fairs, so you may enjoy hitting the small towns and counties to the north for some down-home fun.

For cultural events and better restaurant selection, you'll have to venture to the city, which is loaded with museums, galleries, plays, readings, exhibitions, festivals, Sunday morning concerts in the parks, fine dining, casual dining, street dining, and ethnic dining.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,143 times
To add to some of the eating options...Springfield Grill, Siba, Echo, ichiban, Freedom Square Diner for breakfast, Aladdins Eatery off the top of my head. And I love mcGinnis Sisters grocery store for great local options/ organic foods.

Not too far from you and so woth the trip is The Pines tavern, The Pines Tavern. Pittsburgh's BEST Restaurant ! Nationally Recognized and AWARD WINNING ! Pittsburgh fine dining, inside and outside ! ..one of my favorite restaurants in all of Pittsburgh area.

North park is nice and lots of people love it. I mainly go there for the dog park, mountain biking and when I want a close but flat ride...along the lake. But frankly it is a too crowded for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh