Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop5300 View Post
This is probably just a rumor, but supposedly in a certain area in Eastern Kentucky there are a few wolves making a comeback. I was told this by a cousin, I didnt believe it, in fact I asked him if he meant coyotes, but he swears wolves.
I don't know about eastern KY but in western KY they have re introduced them in the LBL year ago and the packs have grown fairly well and a few have spread out beyond the LBL. Coyotes on the other hand a everywhere, 1000's and 1000's of them. Red Fox is fair common too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:04 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The Bluegrass region has less wildlife of all kinds because there is very little forest separated by miles of open fields
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/62/KYphysiography.jpg/800px-KYphysiography.jpg (broken link)

Only the Inner Bluegrass region immediately around Lexington fits that description. The Outer Bluegrass, particularly as you move north and east of Lexington has some heavily forested regions. This is largely because the terrain becomes much more hilly in these areas and more difficult to clear. This map shows forested areas of the state.

In Pendleton County, where I live, there are huge tracts of undeveloped, forested land. In fact, behind my home stretches several thousand acres of forest. Hunting is very popular here, particularly for white-tail deer, which are everywhere. More deer are harvested during hunting season in the Bluegrass region than in any other region of the state (my county was second in the region last year for deer harvested with more than 2500).

Besides deer, we have coyotes, fox, and normal rodents (including racoons, 'possums, moles, rabbits, etc.) Our local paper, The Falmouth Outlook had an article about one that was shot last year. The article and a photo of the animal appear in the archive section of the site under the December 4, 2007 edition. (Copyrighted, so I can't post it here).

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-28-2008 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 07:12 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,347 times
Oops! Seems I chopped out a sentence near the end of my last post without realizing it. The Falmouth Outlook article is about a bobcat that was shot in the county last year.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,194 times
I would like to know if there's been a sighting of Wolves in Harlan Kentucky? I live on a mountain in Harlan, I saw saw what appeared to be a wolf, it was dark grey our black, it was tall and had weird looking eyes almost clear looking, It had four yellow legs below its knees. I am afraid to go out side. Please Email me if u have any info. about this. lulalake51@hotmail.com

Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM

118 posts, read 250,863 times
No wolves in eastern Kentucky. Only type of wolf native to the commonwealth are red wolves and they are only in LOL. What you saw was liable to be a large coyote or coy-dog

Old 08-05-2013, 04:03 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Coyotes are all over Kentucky, I've seen dead Coyotes in on the road side at Watterson Expressway and I-71 in Louisville!

Grey Wolves were never native to Kentucky. What we had was the Red Wolf, which is midway in size between the larger Grey Wolf and the smaller Coyote. Only dozens remain on the planet, only wild ones on an island off the North Carolina coast.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 PM

118 posts, read 250,863 times
I meant LBL not LOL dern spell check

Old 09-15-2013, 09:26 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacigracie View Post
What kind of wildlife is in Kentucky? In particular, in the small towns surrounding Lexington? I was wondering about bears, coyotes, mountain lions, etc. and I would also be interested to find out what type of snakes are indigenous to Kentucky.
LOL, you won't find bears outside of Lexington. In case you're not aware, there are basically no forests in the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky. That part of the state has many acres of large open meadows and flat land with just gently rolling hills. Now you will find bears in Eastern KY.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:04 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
This is an old, but interesting thread.

The exception to the lightly-wooded Inner Bluegrass is the Kentucky River Palisades, home to a great variety of both plants and animals. The river is a migratory flight path, and the steep rocky cliffs and slopes and heavily wooded tributary valleys provide excellent habitat. Commonly found birds and animals there include deer, wild turkeys, raccoons, opossums, rabbits, gray and fox squirrels, chipmunks, beavers, foxes, beavers, minks, pileated woodpeckers, warblers, great blue herons, a variety of ducks and geese, kingfishers, white-footed mice, a variety of fishes, salamanders, frogs, turtles, toads, flying squirrels, and probably several others I can't recall. Turkey vultures. Hawks. Owls. Crows. Water snakes, and a few copperheads, along with garter snakes and other non-poisonous varieties. About every eastern songbird imaginable, in season. A few seabirds along the river and Herrington Lake - gulls, sandpipers, etc.

Coyotes are back in the Palisades as elsewhere, of course - they fill a predator niche in the system. No reports thus far of black bears, but I expect they'll be around in a few more years, as they're already in southeastern Madison County. Many animals follow valleys when they migrate, sensibly enough - people did the same thing and still do; it's easier.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,644 times
Hi I am a bout to move down there I am coming from ny I just want to know what kind of positions animals do you have down there my girl friend mom lives in Louisville area what should I suppose I run into
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky