Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 AM

871 posts, read 2,249,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
The Cherokee Nation extended into North Carolina and many Native Americans were driven from the their home even up in Tennessee and Kentucky. By the COWARD Andrew Jackson's signing of the (1830 Indian Removal Act). So there is relevancy there, when you look at the influence even the Native Americans had on all cultures in the Appalachians of Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina, and yes even the lower Ohio Valley along the Ohio River.

If you look at ancestry migrations (Which I have) many of them did in fact come from northeastern seaboard. Even my own ancestors, who are of Scottish and Irish decent came from the Boston area and settled in Eastern Kentucky between Boyd and Lawrence counties back in 1750.
Much of the music, dialect and the food of today back in the mountains are greatly influenced by Scottish and Irish back grounds. I won't get into religion, that's a whole nother book of its own, especially if your of Northern Irish decent.

Mannerism is just the way that these folk were brought up to be from childhood from generation to generation. Especially if the area that they live in is nearly secluded from the outside worlds influence. Watch "The Song Catcher" sometime, it's based on a true story and it give a great deal of insight of the origin of the (Mountain Folks) and what seclusion can do to maintain the history and heritage of the people.

But now to get back on track.
There were many units started in KENTUCKY who fought for the UNION, which shows the Kentucky in many ways was a (divided state) during the Civil War and only after the war may there have been a slight shift in allegiance. My own Great X3 Grandfather fought with the 14Th Kentucky Infantry Regiment for the Union Army in 1861 until 1865, in A and F Company. And if you look into (Ancestry.com) you may be surprised at how many families did in fact migrate from the Boston & New York area.

Oh, and I looked at that site that you put up and it looks like to me that that its a census from todays time, not the 1800's. When you add in the factor of about 140 years plus, things do change.
ok...but youve yet to make a relavant point. we all know about the civil war, we even know that east TN fought mostly for the union. and you're only talking about appalachia, eastern KY isnt all of KY.

as far as that migration thing goes, dead wrong. in my family hsitory three came over the mountains from VA and the other family from NC. the vast majority was settled by scotch irish immigrants from VA and NC, not boston. where in the hell are you getting that from? KY has no ancestral ties to new england

but remeber the topic at hand, were talking about the culture of KY today. all ive said is that KY is upper south (similar to TN), what point are you even trying to make here? half the things youve written (one being the scotch irish descent) are characteristics of the upper south.

when we are talking about upper south culturally we mean scotch irish and english descent (which today mark "american descent" on the census), tobacco planting (and historically hemp), rhotic southern accent, cuisine basically equivalent to what youd find on a cracker barrel menu, large baptist and other mainline protestant presence (bible belt). these are all features of KY, and not features of the michigan and ohio.

if youve got any points to make, make them. otherwise quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 12:50 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,149,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
Ok...but you've yet to make a relevant point. We all know about the Civil War, we even know that east TN fought mostly for the Union. And you're only talking about Appalachia, eastern KY isn't all of KY.

As far as that migration thing goes, dead wrong. In my family history three came over the mountains from VA and the other family from NC. The vast majority was settled by Scotch Irish immigrants from VA and NC, not Boston. Where in the hell are you getting that from? KY has no ancestral ties to new England

But remember the topic at hand, were talking about the culture of KY today. All I've said is that KY is upper south (similar to TN), what point are you even trying to make here? Half the things you've written (one being the Scotch Irish descent) are characteristics of the upper south.

When we are talking about upper south culturally we mean Scotch Irish and English descent (which today mark "American descent" on the census), tobacco planting (and historically hemp), rhotic (this word I can't help you with, sorry) southern accent, cuisine basically equivalent to what you'd find on a cracker barrel menu, large baptist and other mainline protestant presence (bible belt). These are all features of KY, and not features of the Michigan and Ohio.

If you've got any points to make, make them. Otherwise quit.
Getting frustrated are you? LOL

We Have Cracker Barrels up here in Ohio, too. But, I don't see what that has to do with any of this. And I also said that I won't talk about religion, so please drop it, thank you .
By the way, does your computer have spell check? Man, your grammar and spelling is atrocious . Here, I went Back and fixed all your misspelled words for you, no thank you needed.

OK now, I never said "IN YOUR FAMILY", I said that many did in fact come from the Eastern Seaboard. And how did we switch over to (Michigan, hemp and tobacco)? That one just jumped right out of the blue, didn't it? And yes, many folks do have ties to New England and the Eastern Seaboard, how do you think they got here? By way of South America?

Wow! your all over the place on this topic, aren't you? If you can't keep a civil tongue while conversing on this topic and its getting you all bent out of shape, them maybe you need to take a break from it and let me talk to someone that has a more level head. We don't need for you to pop a valve.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Spoiler
Getting frustrated are you? LOL

We Have Cracker Barrels up here in Ohio, too. But, I don't see what that has to do with any of this. And I also said that I won't talk about religion, so please drop it, thank you .
By the way, does your computer have spell check? Man, your grammar and spelling is atrocious . Here, I went Back and fixed all your misspelled words for you, no thank you needed.
its not about having the cracker barrel. i said restaurants and people who cook the type of food that youd find at a cracker barrel.
Quote:
Spoiler
OK now, I never said "IN YOUR FAMILY", I said that many did in fact come from the Eastern Seaboard. And how did we switch over to (Michigan, hemp and tobacco)? That one just jumped right out of the blue, didn't it? And yes, many folks do have ties to New England and the Eastern Seaboard, how do you think they got here? By way of South America?
yea, and i said virginia and north carolina, which are on the eastern seabord. fact is, settlers moved westward from VA and NC into Ky and TN, not down from new england. you can read this if you like.

we got on the topic of tobacco because that is a huge crop in KY.
Quote:
Spoiler
Wow! your all over the place on this topic, aren't you? If you can't keep a civil tongue while conversing on this topic and its getting you all bent out of shape, them maybe you need to take a break from it and let me talk to someone that has a more level head. We don't need for you to pop a valve.
how am i all over the place? im talking about the culture of the state of kentucky. what are you talking about. ive clearly laid out to you an outline of kentucky's culture for you(to which religous affiliation is very relevant). you have nothing to say back to it so you whine about me being upset. kentucky is culturally the upper south, not the midwest.

you can talk about me being "upset" all you want, but it seems like you dont know much about kentucky's culture. i tell you how and why you are wrong, you tell me that im mean and spell things wrong.

anyway, you've made no points at all in your last couple posts, and prior to that all youve said is that kentucky was divided in the civil war (which it was) and that kentucky was settled by new englanders (which is false). so i believe this is done.

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 03-30-2010 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Kentucky has strong elements of the south from our borders with Tennessee and SW Virginia. It also has strong elements of the Midwest from our borders with Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. At the same time, b/c of the old "industrial cultures" of Ohio and West Virginia and their strong influence from the northeast, we consequently have a small slither of influence from the upper east coast region (i.e. western Maryland, western Pennsylvania, western New York.)

My point is don't let the confederate flags fool you. Kentucky is "Southern lite" and does not have a great deal in common with Mississippi, Alabama, or Georgia, or even Tennessee south of I-40. But, Kentucky is also "Midwest lite" and is not considered to be part of the cultural Midwest as much as our western and northern border states, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. are. As far as I'm concerned, ANY locale north of the Ohio River is definitely Midwestern. Have you ever met very many people from Carmi, Ill., Evansville, Ind., or Cincinnati, Oh. that have true southern accents? I think not. But, I don't think one is truly in the traditional, cultural, social, and climatic south until they are south of Jackson, Tenn. and Richmond, Va.

I disagree with people that argue that Kentucky can be exclusively fit into any region; I think we are our own region with our own subculture and internal influences, as well as those I've mentioned.
Now here is a voice of reasoning to listen too. Wow! Truer words have never been spoken. Thanks EclecticEars, you seem to be someone with a good head on your shoulders. Maybe some others folks should read this.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Now here is a voice of reasoning to listen too. Wow! Truer words have never been spoken. Thanks EclecticEars, you seem to be someone with a good head on your shoulders. Maybe some others folks should read this.
nope, theres the voice that you agree with (for reasons im not sure). that post has no substance. just simply says things are a certain way without reasons why, when they arent.

i can tell you why kentucky is southern culturally. you cant seem to tell anybody anything

that post talks about strong influence from the indrustrial northeast, where? in louisville and covington maybe, but those are at the very top of the state. the vast majority of the state does not have that.

kentucky certianly is different from the deep south, as is most of TN. thats why i use the term upper south. it does however have quite a bit in comon with all of the south (in the ways mentioned before). not so with the midwest.

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 03-30-2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Just because not everyone agrees with you and the way you think, that doesn't makes them wrong. Wow! If that's the so called "Southern Hospitality", then I prefer the folks up in Montana. At Least they believe that everyone has a right to there own opinion and don't go on the attack for it. And they don't try to shove "religion" down your throat.
So, lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that and get back on topic and stay there.

No reply needed.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM

EarthBound,
you mistake my breaking down of you statements as personal attacks, thats just you being sensitive. i can tell you why what i say is true. i've disagreed with you and told you why i do so. to you becomes a personal attack. dont write things if you dont want people to respond to them. if you can tell me why my assessments of kentucky's culture are false, please do so.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Kentucky has strong elements of the south from our borders with Tennessee and SW Virginia. It also has strong elements of the Midwest from our borders with Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. At the same time, b/c of the old "industrial cultures" of Ohio and West Virginia and their strong influence from the northeast, we consequently have a small slither of influence from the upper east coast region (i.e. western Maryland, western Pennsylvania, western New York.)

My point is don't let the confederate flags fool you. Kentucky is "Southern lite" and does not have a great deal in common with Mississippi, Alabama, or Georgia, or even Tennessee south of I-40. But, Kentucky is also "Midwest lite" and is not considered to be part of the cultural Midwest as much as our western and northern border states, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. are. As far as I'm concerned, ANY locale north of the Ohio River is definitely Midwestern. Have you ever met very many people from Carmi, Ill., Evansville, Ind., or Cincinnati, Oh. that have true southern accents? I think not. But, I don't think one is truly in the traditional, cultural, social, and climatic south until they are south of Jackson, Tenn. and Richmond, Va.

I disagree with people that argue that Kentucky can be exclusively fit into any region; I think we are our own region with our own subculture and internal influences, as well as those I've mentioned.
Thanks EclecticEars, It make sense, good points too. And Points are coming your way.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks EclecticEars, It make sense, good points too. And Points are coming your way.
spamming now i see. move along. youve got nothing to say.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:33 PM

666 posts, read 2,539,006 times
Quote:
EarthBound, you really aren't having a true discussion, and to be honest, I'm not really sure what you are trying to prove??? Coming on these discussion boards and expecting everyone to agree with you, especially when you barely have any sources to back your opinions, does not look good on your part my friend. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are out to get you. I don't agree with you, but that is mostly because I don't really know what point you are trying to make because you are all over the place. Your biased opinion doesn't really mean a whole lot unless you can get some solid facts to support it. If you want to have a discussion on purely your opinion, thats great, but you can't get so defensive when someone offers a differing opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky