Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,809,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I think it's cute how the original poster keeps reposting ever-other-post to ensure their thread stays near the top of this forum.
I don't take offense to what you say on an online forum. I really don't, b/c I don't know you. But the reason I hated Louisville was because of the the consistency of meeting people that harbored your attitude and sarcasm directly in real life.

Now, I'm just commenting on what other individuals have contributed to this forum as of late, as well as adding (not re-hashing) my original points. Sure, that's going to keep it toward the top of this forum. I've contributed all In want to contribute to this thread as of late, so until other people continue to comment (or I find something to say that I just incredibly want to get off my chest,) I'm out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
After nearly 30 years I was back in Loyall! A quick trip through Harlan (stopped at the library) then on to Baxter and then Loyall.

Enjoyed the visit (not what I remember it being as a 9 year old.) and plan on returing this summer for a few days.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I think it's cute how the original poster keeps reposting ever-other-post to ensure their thread stays near the top of this forum.
Bump. Now you can help.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:09 PM

822 posts, read 2,203,964 times
Hello to all here on the City Data forums,
I grew up outside of Lexington back when the area code was 606. Funny that now when I call my mother there the area code is 859. I guess the area has grown quite a bit in order to require a new area code. I spent most of my youth in Paris, Kentucky and graduated from Scott County high in Georgetown, Kentucky. A lot of my family lives in Lexington and we always went to church in downtown Lexington so I ended up spending a lot of my high school years hanging out at Common Grounds coffee house and other places in Lexington.
I currently live in Portland, Oregon. It's not a dream come true but it works for me. I always wanted to get out of Kentucky when I was younger. I guess I just always knew that there was more out there than what was right in front of me. The day after I graduated high school I hopped on a plane to Chicago. From there I moved to Cincinnati and then Albuquerque and many other places. I lived in Bangkok, Thailand and Alice Springs, Australia for awhile. I never did get used to the Australian money that looks just like Monopoly money LOL.
To sum it all up I used to hate being from Kentucky. People would always point out the twang in my accent and ask me if I was inbred. I would always wish that I had gotten to grow up somewhere that was considered cool like California or New York etc.... Now I've lived and traveled more places than most people I meet. It doesn't make me any better or worse, all it means is that having lived and worked a lot of places and I now look at the world based on the various experiences I've had. I think that everyone should move away from where they grew up for at least a few years. This would make everyone more well rounded and accepting of people who are different than them. I notice a big difference in my friends who moved away even just for a few years as opposed to my friends who never left. I believe that this principle would apply to everyone everywhere. Granted some people end up in life situations that would not allow them to move away but most people simply choose to stay.
My advice to the original author of this post would be to move to Houston and get some new life experience under your belt. Everywhere you go you will learn new things and meet new people. No place will ever be a dream come true and granted that yes life will still be life. But overall the culture and weather is very different all over our country of the United States. The culture is almost a complete opposite in just Cincinnati and Lexington and those two cities are only about 64 miles away from each other. Kentucky has it's good and it's bad points but I always knew it wasn't a place for someone like me. There are people who love and people who loathe every place that you will live. You just need to find a place that makes you happy overall. We have the luxury in this country to be able to live in a vast amount of climates and various different regions. Take as much advantage of that as you can and meet as many different kinds of people as you can. It will enrich your life greatly.
I could never live in Kentucky b/c it doesn't hold the type of environment that I like to live in. However I do enjoy a good visit there. Now at my older age I don't ever feel uncomfortable telling anyone I grew up in Kentucky. In fact I'm almost wishing that they will take a shot at me b/c if they tell me that they grew up in California or (Insert so called cooler place here) and make fun of me I immediately ask them where all they have lived. Most will tell me that they have never lived anywhere except (Insert previous cool place here). I will then ask them how much time they have spent in Kentucky. Ninety percent say none. To this I throw in the killer shot. I say, "Well I supposedly grew up in a redneck backwoods state but I have out traveled you and have seen more than most ever will in their lives and to top it off I've lived in your (list previous cool place they grew up), b/c I've usually lived there. So I grew up there and have done all this and you grew up in (cool place) but haven't done anything." So what does that say about people from Kentucky as compared to people from your (Cool Place)? Maybe that they don't have the balls to move anywhere new? So now that I've written you this novel I will part ways. Move to Houston if that's what you really want to do. Just watch out on the 610 freeway at rush hour. It's like being in a live race car video game. I love it. If people like Kentucky let them like it. The hardest part of moving somewhere new is getting in the car and leaving. Everything else will take care of itself. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:51 PM

5 posts, read 9,999 times
I am from Kentucky. When I was 21 years old and finished my first degree, I moved to Southern California, honestly, it was the thing I wanted to do in my youth. Like many young people I wanted to break away. I believe this happens everywhere and is natural. After 10 years, I moved back, I began to realize that relationships with people were different. Yes, I had opportunity, yes, it was exciting, but the relationships were somehow different. After moving back, and now here in Kentucky for 20 years, I have found that I still have opportunities and have actually done much better for myself and career. I am the President of a Corporation, I create jobs for others, I live in a safe community. Unlike what one would think, I dont have alot of family. Kentucky is a wonderful place to live, to any younger person I would say go out and follow those dreams, however your dreams may change and you may find yourself back home in Kentucky. Oh, one thing about the "Speech Accent Issue"...believe this...It worked greatly to my advantage when speaking to people. I found that it built a higher level of trust when others were seeking to be advised. It also allowed others to remain calm in times of crisis. It works good. Just speak with your accent and speak with intelligence. Oh yes, there were some that would make a joke here or there, but what was happening was the fact that I was getting the attention of people that the jokesters could not. It truly was an advantage.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 9,999 times
Dear UptownAtheist.
Your name explains many things. I have also spent time in Chicago, beautiful city. Most there do not think the way you do, likewise, there are some in Kentucky that do share your "Godless" status as you have posted. Certainly you are yet to understand many things, one thing you should consider is the simple concept that being a "Freethinker" does not oppose God or the belief in God. All people are freethinkers as we all have free will. So when you say "Godless and Freethinker" by implication you are stating that knowing God opposes being a freethinker. Quite honestly, I believe in God and I do so because I am "Free to Think" about it and choose to do so. So in reality, your status statement is a misnomer. It merely indicates that your bias is very clear and your consideration to others is small, you are true to your belief, or should I say your non-beliefs?

Old 07-03-2010, 10:14 PM

46 posts, read 111,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownAtheist View Post
I know the definition of freethought quit well. It is very simple and I hope you can understand. I wonder if you actually know what it is. The simple concept, as you put it, does appose god actually. I think you are confused about freethinkers and the simple concept behind it and in my eyes any religious person is far from a freethinker.

Some may be intelligent on some levels but I refuse to believe in something with absolutely no proof, talking snakes, men walking on water, a god who loves me but if I don't fallow "him" (kind of a jealous person don't you think? Not the deity I would like to have around) I go to a dark place and burn... lol. Sorry, but I refuse to believe in such lunacy. I have gotten off topic. I am going to leave it alone before some religious Kentuckian decides to do Gods work and kick me off.

Freethought

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portal WikiProject · vde
Freethought is a philosophical viewpoint that holds that opinions should be formed on the basis of science, logic, and reason, and should not be influenced by authority, tradition, or any dogma.[1] The cognitive application of freethought is known as freethinking, and practitioners of freethought are known as freethinkers.[2]
How about a religious Kentuckian does your teacher's job and points out just a few of the errors in your intelligent post? I think "oppose" is the word you're looking for, because "appose" means to place something in close proximity to something else. You basically just agreed with the person you are trying to argue with. Freethink on!!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:20 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Umm, I do believe a moderator needs to block and/or delete "UptownAtheist" posts....

Old 07-04-2010, 03:10 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Umm, I do believe a moderator needs to block and/or delete "UptownAtheist" posts....
He's been banned. I am losing tolerance for the recent influx of trolls and name callers on our boards. This is a reminder to everyone to read the forum rules and show respect for each other. Differing opinions are welcome but trolling, flaming, personal attacks and name calling are not.

Please help me by sending a message anytime you see posts such as those.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:26 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
He's been banned. I am losing tolerance for the recent influx of trolls and name callers on our boards. This is a reminder to everyone to read the forum rules and show respect for each other. Differing opinions are welcome but trolling, flaming, personal attacks and name calling are not.

Please help me by sending a message anytime you see posts such as those.
Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky