Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2022, 04:38 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,804,822 times

Advertisements

Even after my family moved to Alabama I was sometimes sent up home to help with the tobacco cutting. Some years you just couldn’t get enough of the “mountain boys” to come and help. It was a treat for me, my aunts piled the lunch high with meats and pies and sweet iced tea to make sure we had enough energy to get through the long hot afternoons. A short nap under the shade trees and you were back in the field chopping and loading the wagons for the trip to the barn. I was scared of heights so I always handed up from the wagon or took first level. We had a creek to jump in at the end of the day and it was back to the house for a light supper and a good nights sleep, morning came early. Good memories of hard work and lots of banter between my cousins, folks from the neighboring farms, and the mountain boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 08:21 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,586,859 times
Here in western Ky. the tobacco hasn't even been cut yet. I never worked putting it in the barn or any of that, but I worked with it from the sale floor to the redryer, where it was steamed, packed and shipped off for processing. Working with that dark fired tobacco was rough on the clothes. Even after a good washing some of that smoke smell was still in the jeans.

Old 08-20-2022, 11:56 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,956,083 times
I still have fond memories from when I was a little girl, hiding out in the loft of my grandparent's tobacco barn and watching all my male cousins and my uncles and my dad bring in the sheaves of tobacco for hanging. And the smell was wonderful! What I wouldn't give to go back to that place and that time for even just half an hour!

Old 08-21-2022, 02:09 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,804,822 times
Out of thirteen of us male first cousins only two are still farming tobacco and I expect that this year will be the last crop for one of those two. Only four of the next generation (counting in-laws) are farming today that I am aware of, but I only know of two who are growing tobacco. It’s entirely possible they’ll be the last generation with any full-time connection to farming. I hope it won’t come to that after this family’s more than 200 years in Kentucky.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:13 PM

My funniest true story about tobacco came during my short college years. I was sitting outside my dorm at Murray State at the start of the fall semester when a man who was moving son in the dorm sat down to talk. Said they were from the St. Louis, Mo. area. He started telling me about seeing a barn on fire a few miles out of Murray. "Smoke was pouring out of it". I stopped at the nearest farm house I could find and told him about the fire and that he needed to call the fire department. He said the man walked out on his porch, looked down toward the barn, started laughing and went back in the house, shutting the door behind him. "When he did that, I decided if he didn't care if it burned up, then I wouldn't either." He couldn't understand while I was laughing until I told him that's how they cure the dark fired tobacco. They hang the tobacco in the barn, build fires on the floor, then cover them with sawdust and let the smoke cure the tobacco. I could kind of see his face turning red when he walked back in the dorm. lol

Old 09-30-2022, 01:38 PM

Saw my first "smoking" barn of the fall the other day. Smelled it about a mile before I passed it. Should have more pop up pretty soon! Love the smell!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky