Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 04:30 PM

5 posts, read 18,285 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about Carter County? We found a place there that sounds perfect for my husband, father and I, plus our many horses. We currently live in Az so it will be quite a move. We've been planning on moving to Ky for a few years now, and now that we found this place, we are really trying to move forward.

Anyhow, we have many dogs, cats, goats, and horses, so it has to be somewhere they can be I know Ky is great for horses, just want to make sure Carter County doesn't have some crazy laws about number or breeds of dogs or whatever.

Also, where are some places to look for work for my husband? I'm the main financial provider, and as a pharmacist, I shouldn't have too much problem finding a job. But my husband, he has been a delivery driver for several companies here (pharmacy, FedEx, furniture company, ect) for many many many years, so he's not sure what he'll do when we move... ideas of where to look? I do'nt know how small Olive Hill is, so I don't know how far he will have to travel for work?

Anything else you think of is great

Jessi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 AM

108 posts, read 452,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyAut View Post
What can you tell me about Carter County? We found a place there that sounds perfect for my husband, father and I, plus our many horses. We currently live in Az so it will be quite a move. We've been planning on moving to Ky for a few years now, and now that we found this place, we are really trying to move forward.
Carter County isn't a bad place if you're looking for a slow-paced rural lifestyle. It sounds like you want to own a lot of land and aren't concerned about schools or being close to a lot of "big city" amenities, so I'd say it would be a good place for you. Carter County is definitely rural, but I-64 runs right through the middle of it, so it's fairly easy to travel to larger cities. It just takes a while to get there. Morehead is about 20 miles west of Olive Hill, and has a few restaraunts and stores. Ashland has the nearest malls and a few more things to do, and is about 45 minutes from Olive Hill. If you want to visit a "big city," Lexington is about 80 miles to the west. I put "big city" in quotes because Lexington is actually pretty small compared to places like Phoenix and Chicago, but it's a big city by eastern Kentucky standards. If you like the outdoors, Carter Caves and Grayson Lake are located in Carter County, and Cave Run Lake, Natural Bridge, and Red River Gorge are also nearby.

Quote:
Anyhow, we have many dogs, cats, goats, and horses, so it has to be somewhere they can be I know Ky is great for horses, just want to make sure Carter County doesn't have some crazy laws about number or breeds of dogs or whatever.
You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Eastern Kentucky definitely doesn't have strict zoning laws...or much of any zoning laws at all.

Quote:
Also, where are some places to look for work for my husband? I'm the main financial provider, and as a pharmacist, I shouldn't have too much problem finding a job. But my husband, he has been a delivery driver for several companies here (pharmacy, FedEx, furniture company, ect) for many many many years, so he's not sure what he'll do when we move... ideas of where to look? I do'nt know how small Olive Hill is, so I don't know how far he will have to travel for work?
I think the nearest FedEx station is in western Boyd County, near exit 181 on I-64. This would be about a 25 mile commute from the Olive Hill area. There are also a few businesses in an industrial park near the Carter/Boyd County line (I think this is exit 179). I believe Cintas is located there, along with a few other employers. The bottom line is that Olive Hill is very small, so your husband will likely have to travel to one of the larger nearby towns for employment. Try looking in the Grayson, Morehead, and Ashland areas for jobs. Grayson is the smallest of these towns, but is also the closest to Olive Hill.

Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 AM

Thank you very much!!! We live north of Phoenix, have to travel 25 miles or more to get most places, so we're ok with that! We do have a place a few miles from us that is growing and has some places to eat and a Super Walmart... will miss the Walmart near us, but it wasn't there the whole time I've lived here, so I can do without it again. Was telling hubby last night he might have to go an hour for a job, and was ok with that, so sounds like we'll be alright. We definately want rural. Schools are a non-issue, we aren't having children (just our animals!) so it sounds good!

Can you tell me what airports are near? I know Lexington has one, but that it's cheaper to fly into Louisville. Is there an airport in WV or another close state that is closer than Louisville is?

Do you know if you can take dogs to play in Grayson Lake? Our leonberger/newfies LOVE the water They don't get to go much here, so it's not a big loss if not, but would be nice if so!

Thanks again, really appreciate you taking the time to help us out!

Jessi

Old 06-18-2008, 01:53 PM

108 posts, read 452,251 times
Quote:
Thank you very much!!! We live north of Phoenix, have to travel 25 miles or more to get most places, so we're ok with that! We do have a place a few miles from us that is growing and has some places to eat and a Super Walmart... will miss the Walmart near us, but it wasn't there the whole time I've lived here, so I can do without it again. Was telling hubby last night he might have to go an hour for a job, and was ok with that, so sounds like we'll be alright. We definately want rural. Schools are a non-issue, we aren't having children (just our animals!) so it sounds good!
It sounds like you'll probably be happy with Carter County. A lot of people say they want a rural area when they really want the suburbs, but I think you're prepared for life in the country.

Quote:
Can you tell me what airports are near? I know Lexington has one, but that it's cheaper to fly into Louisville. Is there an airport in WV or another close state that is closer than Louisville is?
The following cities have airports:
Huntington, WV (very small airport)--37 miles from Olive Hill
Charleston, WV (bigger than Huntington's but still fairly small)--97 miles
Lexington (mid-sized airport; smaller than I expected)--91 miles, but takes longer to get to Olive Hill from Lexington than Charleston
Cincinnati, OH (major int'l airport)--124 miles
Louisville (major airport)--155 miles
Columbus, OH (major airport)--155 miles, but takes longer to get to Olive Hill from Columbus than from Louisville

The Columbus airport seems to be the cheapest for most (but not all) flights. At least that has been my experience, but I don't fly very often.

Quote:
Do you know if you can take dogs to play in Grayson Lake? Our leonberger/newfies LOVE the water They don't get to go much here, so it's not a big loss if not, but would be nice if so!
I think so. My aunt and uncle always brought their beagles when we went out on their boat at Grayson Lake. Try the following websites to learn more about the nearby parks and recreation areas:
Grayson Lake: Kentucky State Parks - Home
Carter Caves: Kentucky State Parks - Home
Cave Run Lake: Cave Run Lake
Natural Bridge: Kentucky State Parks - Home
Red River Gorge Geological Area

Old 06-18-2008, 05:49 PM

Thank you so much, you're great! I wrote down the airport info and I will check out the links you posted

Jessi

Old 06-20-2008, 11:06 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Not much in Carter Co. at all. Closest major metropolitan areas are Cincinnati and Louisville, each just under three hours away. The closest sizeable city is Lexington, still 90 minutes west. Carter Co. does have Kentucky Christian Univ. and a K-Mart in Grayson, and (I think) a Dairy Queen in Olive Hill. It is true country living.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,261 times
Carter County is a nice place to live. There are no zoning laws in the county just planning and zoning in the city of grayson and olive hill. The Grayson Lake will allow your pets, no problem unless the dogs like to chase geese. lol The Grayson Lake has one of the best golf courses and a great camping ground. Carter Caves is a beautiful state park that offers many cave tours and hiking trails.
Grayson has several different stores, 4 pharmacies, 4 health clinics, several dentists, chiropractors, ect. It is a town that is friendly, low cost of living compared to the larger cities. Olive Hill is nice as well.
You could contact the local city government offices to help you, just let them know in advance what you might need and I am sure they will help compile a list for you.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:28 AM

28 posts, read 76,436 times
I grew up in Grayson, and still visit at least once a month or so, my entire family lives there. I wouldn't consider living within the city limits of Grayson really living in the country. Granted you can't compair it to say Lexington or Louisville, but you do have everything that you need. Also a 30 min drive or so would get you to the nearest mall or movie theater, although Grayson is expanding everyday. It seems that everytime I go home (and yes, even though I have been gone for 5 years I still consider Grayson home) there is something new and something else under construction. If you have any specific questions about Grayson I would be more than happy to answer them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky