Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM

5 posts, read 28,438 times

Advertisements

I lived in pikeville for some years now. It has it ups and downs. Where to start? Well! You have your nice people and you have your bad people. I am a African American, They are not use to Black People in that area. When I first came here, I was unsure about Pikeville. I came up to play football for the college. The closer I got to Pikeville the more people said they never heard of it. So I Was really nervous. I thought I was on a wild goose chase. Came up to play football where the recruited lots of African Americans from South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Florida, Alabama and So on. They Criticize the football team in the newspaper saying that the college went out and recruited gang bangers, drug dealers and Rapers. I am like what did I get myself into. The people will stare at you like you are some kind of Alien. These are the ignorant people in Pikeville. Who only Portray Black people by what the see on TV. I guess that is common for some people there. My first Hillbilly day Festival, we had Spring football practice during the time it was going on. I heard things from students about going down there because the KKK are going to be there. On my way to the Gym to get read for practice this truck rove by with writing on the side that said #1 Clan, I freakout. I called home told my mom I am not putting up with this BS the Klan is riding around town. They explained to me that it was the shriners yada yada. I am like whatever. I told coach he had to cancel practice or we are not going to practice. Some of the football players where hooking up with these White girls and there families where finding out and threathning to come kill them, some girls were disowned by there families. The next thing is that when I when I call over the phone about an apartment to rent it is available. No one hasn't came by to look at they say you are the first, but when you get there to look at it the tell you that we have someone renting it. SOUNDS LIKE RACISM TO ME, My friends rented this apartment up in Chloe Three Black Football players, These girls will always come over to sit and talk and there other neihbor which where a white guy tell the girls don't go over there sit with Coons they are bad business, So the girls told my friends about what this guy said. They brushed it off. A week later they were sleep in the apartment and they smelled smoke. They guy tried to burn them up iun the house when they were sleeping. Talk about ROSEWOOD. From then on I start calling the the state of Kentucky (KLANTUCKY) They got had previous charges for arson. He didn't go to jail or anything. LOL, I know!!!!! The other bad thing about Pikeville is the weather. The weather changes every 20 minutes. Well the good thing is that all people are not like that in Pikeville, They take you under there wings. The churches provide alot for the town. They are the cornerstone of the city. I love every church that I went to there. They treat you like you are family. Going to college 9 hours alone without family you need that from a town that is Predominately White, I mean like 400-1. I met my fiance there in Pikeville, her family is the best thing that ever happen to me. They never once look at me in diffrent way. Never ask her why she want to date a black man. They took me for who I am. When we go out to eat the stares we get. Good OLE Pikeville. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoyinPike View Post
I lived in pikeville for some years now. It has it ups and downs. Where to start? Well! You have your nice people and you have your bad people. I am a African American, They are not use to Black People in that area. When I first came here, I was unsure about Pikeville. I came up to play football for the college. The closer I got to Pikeville the more people said they never heard of it. So I Was really nervous. I thought I was on a wild goose chase. Came up to play football where the recruited lots of African Americans from South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Florida, Alabama and So on. They Criticize the football team in the newspaper saying that the college went out and recruited gang bangers, drug dealers and Rapers. I am like what did I get myself into. The people will stare at you like you are some kind of Alien. These are the ignorant people in Pikeville. Who only Portray Black people by what the see on TV. I guess that is common for some people there. My first Hillbilly day Festival, we had Spring football practice during the time it was going on. I heard things from students about going down there because the KKK are going to be there. On my way to the Gym to get read for practice this truck rove by with writing on the side that said #1 Clan, I freakout. I called home told my mom I am not putting up with this BS the Klan is riding around town. They explained to me that it was the shriners yada yada. I am like whatever. I told coach he had to cancel practice or we are not going to practice. Some of the football players where hooking up with these White girls and there families where finding out and threathning to come kill them, some girls were disowned by there families. The next thing is that when I when I call over the phone about an apartment to rent it is available. No one hasn't came by to look at they say you are the first, but when you get there to look at it the tell you that we have someone renting it. SOUNDS LIKE RACISM TO ME, My friends rented this apartment up in Chloe Three Black Football players, These girls will always come over to sit and talk and there other neihbor which where a white guy tell the girls don't go over there sit with Coons they are bad business, So the girls told my friends about what this guy said. They brushed it off. A week later they were sleep in the apartment and they smelled smoke. They guy tried to burn them up iun the house when they were sleeping. Talk about ROSEWOOD. From then on I start calling the the state of Kentucky (KLANTUCKY) They got had previous charges for arson. He didn't go to jail or anything. LOL, I know!!!!! The other bad thing about Pikeville is the weather. The weather changes every 20 minutes. Well the good thing is that all people are not like that in Pikeville, They take you under there wings. The churches provide alot for the town. They are the cornerstone of the city. I love every church that I went to there. They treat you like you are family. Going to college 9 hours alone without family you need that from a town that is Predominately White, I mean like 400-1. I met my fiance there in Pikeville, her family is the best thing that ever happen to me. They never once look at me in diffrent way. Never ask her why she want to date a black man. They took me for who I am. When we go out to eat the stares we get. Good OLE Pikeville. LOL
i am from pikeville, i'm 25 i have lived here ever since my family moved from lexington when i was 13, let me tell you this place is as backwards as it gets and everything posted above is pretty much true. i can't wait to move away from here i'm having trouble finding a job because there are no good jobs in the area. also there is a huge drug problem at least half the people you meet are on pills. this is redneck usa and i would feel sorry for anyone that moves here and tries to raise kids here. there isn't a day that goes by that i don't wish my parents would never have moved to this place and made me go to school here.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:17 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Default Pikeville Hall of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Where in the world are these people getting their information about a seven story jail in Pikeville!!!!If they had ever been here and if they can count, they would know that the Hall if Justice is a three story building. Also Billions of dollars have not been poured into the area. Instead our coal severence money has been mostely sent to other parts of Kentucky!!!!We are proud, hard working people here!!There are people on welfare all over this country, some deserving, some not! It hurts to see us portrayed as toothless,dirty, lazy, etc. Television and movies are not portraying us right. You people who have lived here make fun of us when you move away( Is it so you will feel accepted in your new environment?) By the way, I was not born or raised here, I am from a large northern city, but Pikeville is my home and I am proud of it, and love the friendly people who live here....
This thread is probably where the 7-story jail (Hall of Justice) was started.
//www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...nceptions.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky