Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:48 AM

11 posts, read 34,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Honestly - I do not believe your daughter and boyfriend will have trouble as a bi-racial couple. With you having family in the area - bring him along, introduce him as one of the family and go from there.

There will be issues in this world no matter how progresive and open many of us are - but honestly - if you are comfortable in Georgia - you will be comfortable here.

I live in a very small town - and we only have one bi-racial family here. Those kids have always been treated well - and always will be. The daughter has gone to school with my son since kindergarten - and if our sometimes 'backward' town can welcome them with open arms - I feel sure Ashland will too, which is much more progressive than Lebanon Junction.

My recommendation? If your family is involved in Church - become involved when you move as soon as possible. Develop those close ties and establish your life - the rest will follow.

I am very proud to hear your story. It is such a wonderful start to something that needs to spread - love conquers all - and the world needs to wake up.

Have you seen the movie "The Family Stone"? I love it - Diane Keaton has a gay son whose partner is black (her son is deaf), one son has done very well for himself in a professional job in the city, and another son is a 'bum' so to speak. The family is a normal, loving open-minded family. My wish is that we could all be that way - it starts with me and you.

Welcome back home!
oh, and check ou these sites:
http://www.glimcher.com/controller/r5i/psm/file/view/Ashland%20Town%20Center.pdf?id=751 (broken link)

Welcome to the City of Ashland Kentucky

Ashland Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
KimmieyKY
WHY DID YOU SAY "those kids" why not their kids? Ilive in cleveland heights...you're overly welcome there....you won't have to worry about the black kid getting dragged by a confederate flag painted pickup with his body parts all over the road...trust it!this type of **** really happens..in southern states...read black media websites...you both will be surprised at the things crazy white bigots do. Miss Georgia, DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE 92 Y/O GRANDMOTHER THAT WAS SHOT DEAD IN HER HOME BY THE COPS? Isolated incident you think? they planted drugs on her and lied all over the police reports...Is this acceptable? or maybe you've heard about the girl who was kidnapped in w.v. and fed rat ****, raped over and over and her head was plunged in the toilet over and over again, isolated incident, or maybe you heard of sean bell, the groom who was to be married the next day but he was shot 50 times...isolated incident, ahmadu diollo, shot 49 times reaching for his wallet...did the kentucky christians have a stand on any of these issues? did georgia? Such good christians!!!!! may Godbe with you and your family when you move to Kentucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 AM

108 posts, read 452,286 times
Mod cut: orphaned (quoted post removed)

mod cut

This appears to be another thread that was started many months ago. I doubt the OP is still reading this, but I'll respond to their question anyway. You'd probably be okay in Ashland, but your daughter and her boyfriend may occasionally hear a comment or two. Most likely, these comments won't be spoken directly to them, but will be whispered when people think your daughter and her boyfriend are out of earshot. I don't think it would necessarily happen all the time, but I'd be naive to say that it would never happen. I don't think it would get to the point where living in Ashland would become unbearable, but I can't really be sure because I don't know your family personally.

If your looking for a place with lots of activities for people in their teens and twenties, you might consider Huntington, WV (about 15 miles from Ashland), which is the home of Marshall University.

Last edited by Acntx; 10-08-2019 at 08:40 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Just curious, why don't you like seeing interracial couples?
Everyone should have enough respect, appreciation, and love for their own people, culture, heritage, and themselves to stay within their own race. It's the right and honorable thing to do.

There are definitely people who share this viewpoint who do so because they are hateful of other races, but that doesn't make this moral standard evil or hateful. Most people of all races feel that people should stay to their own kind as God created each race (or as "nature" created each race for atheists). Unfortunately, we live in times where a small minority with a large cultural influence is doing their best to distort right and wrong on this issue with buzzwords like "progressive", which is supposed to embody moral superiority, and everything un-"progressive" is slandered as evil and hateful. In most cases the opposite is true.

I don't hate any race of people, but I find it very offensive when people dishonor their heritage by engaging in interracial relationships. Respecting and loving your individual race means you don't date outside of your race. By doing so everyone promotes the continued existence of their race. If there is any case to be made for "racism" on the subject of interracial dating, it's to be made against supporters of interracial relationships because that position promotes the destruction of the races, not their continued existence.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:06 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
"We are a white family, but my daughter's boyfriend is black, and will be moving with us."

Never mind the fella's race, it's that he's moving with you in the role of "daughter's boyfriend" rather then "son in law" that I find odd.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,064 times
I live in Ashland, Kentucky and I am currently attending Paul Blazer High School and there are more black people than white people. Everyone gets along fine. There are a lot of bi-racial couples here.
Of course there are some racist people here but there is always someone who has issues with something no matter where you go.
I think that if you and your family move here there will be no problems whatsoever. I have a sister that was dating a black man and not one person said anything about it. Not one remark!
Good Luck!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:13 PM

102 posts, read 295,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparfreud View Post
And to add, not liking interracial relationships does not make you racist. I know I do not like seeing it.
uh, actually it does. But keep trying to pretend you are not.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor75 View Post
uh, actually it does. But keep trying to pretend you are not.
LOL ya I agree with you. This guy is racist up the ying yang lol.

That being said they are obviously trolls. Look at how few posts they have. They just came here to make trouble.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 PM

174 posts, read 540,662 times
Default Some race related facts about Ashland

Charles Manson, who wanted to start a race war, grew up in Ashland (some sources say he was born there.)
Charles Manson - Internet Accuracy Project

Sonny Landham (who you may know as the Amerindian guy from the movie "Predator," among other things) lives in Ashland where he tried unsuccessfully to run for governor.
Here's his homepage, it tells all about him, including his address on Winchester Ave:
Sonny Landham

During the 1920's, according to old census figures, there more people of chinese descent in Ashland than in Louisville.

It's also home to a growing Hindu community:
Hidden Hindu temple grows in Ashland - The Boston Globe

Last edited by Cthulhu7; 06-17-2010 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: title

Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,431 times
Quote:
My main question is the lack of blacks and other ethnic groups in the area. We are a white family, but my daughter's boyfriend is black, and will be moving with us. I don't want to put either of them into a situation that makes them uncomfortable.
Why would you want to move somewhere where you are already disturbed about "the lack of blacks and other ethnic groups?"

Have you considered Detroit?

NYC?

LA?

Another questionable post..........along the lines of, "I'm black but I want to move to a town where I've heard it's racist, now defend your town."

Stay where you feel comfortable.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,985 times
omg johnson859 i think she has a point about the schooling system if you are spelling ignorant as ignorent...and tangent when it comes to love nothing matters as far as race; the only love, respect, and appreciation you should have is for each other and ALL around you..how does the color or should i say pigmentation or lack of pigmentation have anything to do with it...we are all humans in our own unique way, but if it wasn't meant to be it wouldn't be...honestly, i think people put too much effensive on difference than similarities, and that's why i think there is hate in the world for stupid crap...thinking another race is better than the other when we all bleed, cry, and die the same way...don't we have better things to worry about in this the world then race or what makes someone else happy...so please get you're head out of your butt and stop destroying other people's happiness because we feel a certain thing should or shouldnt be a certain way...we all know what's right and wrong and we all deserve to be happy...i dont see floods trying to erase away interracial being...i think it would be good for the world if our differences were gone and something new and better started...i think we all need a change and stop these many wars we have amongst ourselves; and work together for freaking once in our lives, looking deeper, and appreciate all good that each other have to offer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky