Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,765 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am currently living in Michigan and are planning to move to Florence in about 2 months. I had a few questions to ask. First would be how are people going to accept us? I know that the few times I have been to Northern Kentucky the people were great, nice, and friendly but just wondering how they will accept us when we live there? Also, how do people like Florence? What benefits/setbacks does it have as a city? Another thing too, my boss and his wife are expecting a baby in April and I was just wondering if anyone knew of the hospitals around the Northern Kentucky area which one would be best for them and their baby? I appreciate all the comments everyone can chip in with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM

87 posts, read 358,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganboy View Post
Hello everyone. I am currently living in Michigan and are planning to move to Florence in about 2 months. I had a few questions to ask. First would be how are people going to accept us? I know that the few times I have been to Northern Kentucky the people were great, nice, and friendly but just wondering how they will accept us when we live there?
Don't worry. Northern Kentuckians will welcome you with open arms.

Quote:
Also, how do people like Florence? What benefits/setbacks does it have as a city?
I live in Erlanger, just east of Florence; however I work in Florence. It's a fairly typical suburban city, about 15 miles south of Cincinnati....with a few differences. First, its shopping area (with the Florence Mall) is the largest in Northern KY.

Second, its sporting options far exceed most cities of its size. It boasts a major horse racing track, Turfway Park. Every March, it hosts a major Kentucky Derby prep race. Florence also boasts a minor league baseball team, the Florence Freedom. Florence also has a state of the art waterpark (with very reasonable rates for Florence residents). And close to the waterpark is a skateboard park.

Quote:
Another thing too, my boss and his wife are expecting a baby in April and I was just wondering if anyone knew of the hospitals around the Northern Kentucky area which one would be best for them and their baby?
Although Florence has a pretty good hospital in St. Luke's, I'd have my baby at St. Elizabeth North, a few miles north of Florence, in Edgewood. It was rated one of the top 100 hospitals to have a baby. Both of my daughters were born there, and my granddaughter was just born there last month.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 PM

145 posts, read 518,427 times
You will have no problem being accepted in Northern Kentucky. Being so close to Cincy and in a tri-state area you won't find people in the area having any issue with where you are from. People are from all over the place and honestly growing up there people could really care less if you are a native or not. It is different in other parts of the state but here you won't find any issues. Florence as previosly mentioned is a nice suburban area with tons of shopping, entertainment and other things to do. The nice thing about northern kentucky though is you are only fifteen minutes from cincy or really any other area in northern kentucky if you want to do something else. The schools are good, it depends on public or private but the public schools up their are very good. Hands down tell your boss and his wife to go to St. Elizabeth medical center in edgewood ky. (ten minutes from Florence) Ladybebop is right it is an outstanding hospital and ranked very high nationaly. I currently live in Lexington but grew up in northern kentucky and will be happy to give you any other info you need. Welcome to kentucky.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:22 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I was born at St Elizabeth Hospital in nearby Covington. Apparently they must have dropped me on my head a few times because I'm a Louisville Cardinal fan even though I live in Lexington (at least that's what my family tells me )

Old 12-02-2008, 12:06 PM

241 posts, read 1,335,216 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I am currently living in Michigan and are planning to move to Florence in about 2 months. I had a few questions to ask. First would be how are people going to accept us? I know that the few times I have been to Northern Kentucky the people were great, nice, and friendly but just wondering how they will accept us when we live there?
Florence is full of transplants from elsewhere, so you'll have no problem fitting in.

Quote:
Also, how do people like Florence? What benefits/setbacks does it have as a city?
Benefits:
  • lots of shopping options
  • Florence and Boone county parks
  • fast airport access
  • entertainment/culture/sports all around Greater Cincinnati within easy reach.
  • good schools (if you have children)
  • easy access to Kentucky's natural beauty (hiking, camping, fishing, etc.) if you're the outdoorsy type.
Drawbacks:
  • Florence and adjoining areas are poster children for suburban sprawl.
  • Traffic can be a nightmare, especially around the holidays.
  • Finding nice "local" restaurants can be challenging--they're largely drowned out by the chain stores everywhere.
Quote:
Another thing too, my boss and his wife are expecting a baby in April and I was just wondering if anyone knew of the hospitals around the Northern Kentucky area which one would be best for them and their baby? I appreciate all the comments everyone can chip in with.
That's an interesting question. Until last month, there were two hospital groups in Northern Kentucky--St. Elizabeth with two main facilities and St. Luke, also with two hospitals. They've now merged, so all four hospitals are essentially being run by the same group. Hopefully that means the St. Luke hospital will gain the reputation and performance of St. Elizabeth and not the other way (All of our children were born at St. E South in Edgewood). St. Luke wasn't bad, it just didn't have the high grades that St. E got.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,765 times
Default Thank You!

Thanks to all of you guys for responding to me! I have heard nothing but good things about Northern Kentucky. I am 24 years old and am always wanting to learn more so I cannot wait to get down there and see what Kentucky as well as Cincinnati have to offer. Im a huge history buff and sports fan so Kentucky and Cincy have lots to offer. My boss is opening up a Jet's Pizza in Florence and I will be helping him run so I hope you Kentuckians are ready for some great pizza, I am positive it is something you all will enjoy and hopefully you guys can make us a mainstay in the Northern Kentucky community.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
RuralGuy is pretty well spot on.

To the OP, if it were me I'd look into Crestview Hills. It's almost immediately east of the city of Florence at the intersection of I-275 and Turkeyfoot Road. It is home to Crestview Hills Towne Center, the region's newest major shopping center and a total "lifestyle center". It's nicer, easier to navigate, and more driver- and pedestrian-friendly than Florence Mall.

Also, C.H. is home to Thomas More College. In 18 years, it will be an institution worth considering for your boss/wife, and I even ALMOST applied there (and I should have.) If you and your wife (I assume you're married) are ever interested in going for an MBA, TMC has an adult ed evening MBA program. So does Northern Kentucky University just ten miles east.

Lastly, I think C.H. is less snooty than Florence. Certain parts of Florence have a "nose up in the air," IMO, for whatever reason they have. Oh, and C.H. is not the quintessential example of suburban "Generica"; it is distinctly suburban, but feels like a small, spread out town with plenty of space.

Go with Crestview Hills. (No, I don't live there.)

Old 08-26-2010, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,664 times
Great responses about Florence! I am also moving there in less than about 2 weeks to a new job. My problem is I need a rooming house or a room at minimum for a few weeks until I can find a place to live. Does anyone know who I can contact about a place that is very inexpensive for a short time frame? I am desperate and have found nothing on the web as of yet. I am in Columbus now and plan to start down there on the 7th of September. Thanks in advance for any help.
Will

Old 08-28-2010, 06:47 PM

87 posts, read 358,012 times
Hi gfrlaser. Welcome to Northern Kentucky.

I don't know you're budget. However Florence has a number of extended stay hotels...I think for about $175-$200 a month.

You might also want to check Craigslist as well for people renting out rooms. And don't limit yourself to Florence. You can probably find rooms in Erlanger, Elsmere and other surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky