Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:18 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Amen brother. I wondered who was going to catch that.
This doesnt even count Lexington, NKY, and KY's other small but growing urban areas like Bowling Green. I don't have stats on hand, but rural people are certainly in the minority in KY, as most Kentuckians now live in a metropolitan area. Kentucky does, however, have a rural mindset, especially outside Louisville and NKY. I even find most of Lexington, outside campus, to have a very rural, agrarian mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,436 times
Lexington - not rural so much as SUBURBAN.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:51 PM

137 posts, read 448,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I only promote areas I know about. I have sadly not been everywhere in the state and would hate to send somebody somewhere I don't know. Now when it comes to visiting places, I send people to alot of places from Cumberland Falls to Land Between the lakes!
I feel the same way, I only try to promote the areas I know a lot about. I also wish I could say that I have been everywhere in Kentucky, but still have many places I have yet to explore. Thanks though for responding my my post!

Old 02-13-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Kentuckyguy, you're the only poster we ever get who KNOWS Northern Ky. You should post more often. We have several vocal posters for Western Kentucky, a few for Eastern, and many from Lexington and Louisville. It would be great if you could answer the NKy questions - the rest of us try our best, but you would do a better job.

I only write about Lexington because I've been living there several decades. Sometimes I know a bit about other areas, but will always know something to say about Lex. You can do the same for your area. Honestly, it would be much appreciated.
Thank you for the advice and for saying what you said to me! It was very kind of you to respond to my post and the comments I have made on this thread. I will definately try to provide as much info as possible about NKY to others now as well as in the future, in order to help them in whatever way I can!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM

180 posts, read 597,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
KY is NOT anywhere near 95% rural. Come on now! Nearly a 1/5 of the states population lives in the CITY of Louisville.

Check my new thread about the Diane Sawyer special.

I just pulled that out of the air. It wasn't meant to be accurate. The message I was trying to get across is that the majority of Kentucky is rural. 1.3 million in Louisville and the other 3 million is distributed between the smaller cities and rural parts. That IS a majority rural lifestyle my friend. Regardless of the ficticious number I posted earlier.

Lexington is home to roughly 250,000 and Northern Kentucky is home to rougly 360,000. That adds up to roughly 600,000 people living "in the city". Most of the other smaller cities are not "urban" for the most part. Urban is a term used to define population density above a certain percentage per square mile. Most of Kentucky's smaller cities like Owensboro, BWG, etc. are pretty suburban and spread out. The lifestyle for a majority of Kentuckians is rural without a doubt. Care to carry on with this?

Edited to add some info.

I didn't include MSA's mainly because when you use MSA's a majority of the land area in an MSA is rural. Such is the case in Lexington and Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky. Louisville is more suburban outside Jefferson County boarders, but it gradually tapers to rural areas.

As for Diane Sawyer, Louisville is what got her "out there", not Glasgow. That was my original intent with the Louisville comment about her.

Last edited by MichaelBNA; 02-13-2009 at 06:09 PM..

Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
Well, considering many people in the "Big Cities" have family in the rural parts........ Most of the slamming comes from the outside. People who have passed through, visited, whatever. Notice I said "most" though. That's not to say that there are those in Louisville and Lexington, etc. that don't take shots at rural Kentucky.

Kentucky is 90-95% rural population so keep that in mind to.
With all due respect I do not necessarily think that true that most Kentuckians live in rural places In fact according to Wikipedia, the combined population of Louisville, Lexington and Northern Kentucky make up 2,169,394 of the population of the Commonwealth as of 2006, which is 51.5% of the states total population. That does not even count places like Owensboro, Frankfurt, Richmond, Bowling Green, Somerset, Corbin or London. Therefore most Kentuckians are living in the city. Please don't anyone misunderstand me! I am not saying these things because I have anything against rural Kentucky. I am just saying this because I want to try and correct you because the numbers you gave simply don't add up. I think most of us in urban Kentucky areas love the fact that there are many rural areas in the Commonwealth. When we want to get away for the day we go to your rural areas to enjoy all those places have to offer. I know I do!....

Old 02-13-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
I just pulled that out of the air. It wasn't meant to be accurate. The message I was trying to get across is that the majority of Kentucky is rural. 1.3 million in Louisville and the other 3 million is distributed between the smaller cities and rural parts. That IS a majority rural lifestyle my friend. Regardless of the ficticious number I posted earlier.

Lexington is home to roughly 250,000 and Northern Kentucky is home to rougly 360,000. That adds up to roughly 600,000 people living "in the city". Most of the other smaller cities are not "urban" for the most part. Urban is a term used to define population density above a certain percentage per square mile. Most of Kentucky's smaller cities like Owensboro, BWG, etc. are pretty suburban and spread out. The lifestyle for a majority of Kentuckians is rural without a doubt. Care to carry on with this?

Edited to add some info.

I didn't include MSA's mainly because when you use MSA's a majority of the land area in an MSA is rural. Such is the case in Lexington and Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky. Louisville is more suburban outside Jefferson County boarders, but it gradually tapers to rural areas.

As for Diane Sawyer, Louisville is what got her "out there", not Glasgow. That was my original intent with the Louisville comment about her.
I see where you are comin' from, but I don't wanna be arguing with you. I would agree that most if not all of us have a rural mindset. I think that is one of my many things I love about we Kentuckians!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:51 PM

180 posts, read 597,102 times
No need to argue. There is over 4 million people in Kentucky and half of that is basically in a city that could be considered by the US Census as being "Urban" and "Dense". Everything else is suburban or rural. Regardless, I agree with you, the rural mentality is a special thing. Lord knows it has given birth to tons of historical things throughout the past. Look at country music and bluegrass music for example. My greatgrandfather was a good friend and playing buddy of the late Bill Monroe in Ohio County. I completely understand what the rural lifestyle has given to America.

Don't always trust Wikipedia since it can be edited by anyone. As a general rule, I try to be objective with its content and "facts".

Old 02-14-2009, 05:40 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,088,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
I feel the same way, I only try to promote the areas I know a lot about. I also wish I could say that I have been everywhere in Kentucky, but still have many places I have yet to explore. Thanks though for responding my my post!
You're welcome! I have a goal to see the whole dang state. By the way while I am thinking about it, 14 years ago my brother was in a serious car wreck and had a brain injury. Once out of his coma, he was eventually sent to an inpatient rehab center in Eastern Kentucky (I think it was around Paintsville, Theresa I think?) and it was absolutely WONDERFUL!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:43 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,088,265 times
I agree, most Kentuckians (even in Louisville mainly outside the original city limits) have a rural mindset. We love anything "country" and dress, drive and even sometimes talk country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky