Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:23 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post

* the "neighbor" thing isn't en vogue AT ALL in the Northeast. Up here something along the lines of mowing someone else's yard (out of kindness) would be viewed as being nosy or desperate. People up here like to claim that friendship is earned by dealing with rudeness from people who don't know you well.
wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 04:03 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Here are some of my thoughts on this matter:

* A co-worker of mine, when I lived in Boston, MA (I now live in the western part of the state, much more hick'ish), claimed to me that "Kentucky isn't the south, but Virginia is". Well, geographically speaking, Kentucky is FURTHER south than Virginia is. By the way, the co-worker is from Virginia.

* the "neighbor" thing isn't en vogue AT ALL in the Northeast. Up here something along the lines of mowing someone else's yard (out of kindness) would be viewed as being nosy or desperate. People up here like to claim that friendship is earned by dealing with rudeness from people who don't know you well.
First thing, Kentucky is much more Southern-feeling than VA these days. This from a recent VA-to-KY transplant.

Second thing, you got the neighbor thing on point. I lived in an apt complex for five years in Northern Virginia (which is pretty much the new Northeast) and didn't know the names of any of my neighbors.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:29 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
wow!
I'm serious about the whole "earning a friendship thing". Head over to the Massachusetts forum and whistle innocently as you ask what New England'ers think about Southern Hospitality. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:19 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I hope I didnt offend any Kentucky people with my thread. It was just an obvious curiosity. Since Kentkcy was not part of the Confederacy, many here in Virginia do not consider it The South

But this should make Kentuckians happy: Often in maps or books doing on the "Southeast" they include Kentucky but leave out Virginia. Why I don't know. I think its silly since we are pretty much on the same lattitude. That should make y'all feel better.
I have noticed in Virginia, in Arlington/Alexandria area, which of course, is D.C. suburbs, feels northeastern to me. Anywhere south of there, of course, to me is Southern, the coastal and tidewater, and to lesser extent, Eastern Shore area seems almost deep Southern. From Roanoke west, especially near Tn. and Ky. borders, very distinctly Appalachian South. Shenandoah Valley is upland southern also, but not quite way the mountain region just mentioned to the south and southwest of there is. I don't know what to call southern Virginia east of Galax and Hillsville out of the mountains (e.g. Martinsville and Danville and South Boston, etc.), but is definitely Southern of some kind (i guess kinda like Piedmont area around Winston-Salem and Greensboro in N.C.). Anyway, that's my unscientific take on it. I especially love Abingdon, Marion, and Tri-Cities area (Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City) on both sides of the Virginia/Tenn. line. Just watch your speed, have seen more speed traps in Virginia than anywhere else in my life, including Georgia.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
I'm serious about the whole "earning a friendship thing". Head over to the Massachusetts forum and whistle innocently as you ask what New England'ers think about Southern Hospitality. Don't say I didn't warn you.
LOL That's ok... I believe you

Old 09-09-2010, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,003 times
I have lived in Tennessee all of my life but I have family in kentucky. The debate about Kentucky being southern or not is a mute point. Kentucky is SOUTHERN! End of story--I really get a kick out of people questioning if Kentucky is in the south. Of course it is. You really need your head examined if you think otherwise!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:24 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confederate Kentucky View Post
I have lived in Tennessee all of my life but I have family in kentucky. The debate about Kentucky being southern or not is a mute point. Kentucky is SOUTHERN! End of story--I really get a kick out of people questioning if Kentucky is in the south. Of course it is. You really need your head examined if you think otherwise!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

You are correct by the majority. Albeit a tad abrasive. ;P

Kentucky is southern by most definitions. Though I personally consider it a unique self contained state.

Majority rules. So I guess it's southern.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
I was just wondering. I am from Richmond, Virginia and I was out in Kentucky and it just didn't feel very Southern at all to me. I dont know- maybe its just Louisville. I did think Elizabethtown was kinda Southern. But to me the majority of Kentucky feels indistinguishable from Ohio, IMO Its more like the Midwest. People kinda have these mountain twangs, but not the slow drawls we have in Virginia.

I find it ironic that people consider Kentucky Southern- when it wasn't even part of the Confederacy. But I did think the people were nice. It just didnt feel Southern to this Virginian

What do Y'all think?
Kentucky may not have been part of the CSA, but it is part of the SEC which is more than can be said for Virginia.

For my money Kentucky is much more Southern than Virginia.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
But Richmond is much Southern in culture than Louisville. Sure it has the Kentucky Derby, but Richmond is more in tune with Charleston-Savannah.
Savannah is a southern city only due to geography.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 409 times
I am a Northerner who vowed to never again venture south of the Mason-Dixon. Yet, I found myself entering Louisville for the first time on l-64 heading east at nightfall, and absolutely fell in love with: the lights of the city, the peaceful and calm feeling the city vibe gave, and the extremely considerate fellow drivers on the interstate. Wow...people actually going the speed limit? (Then again it was a Sunday night.)

I fell in love so much, I decided to stay and see how I felt about Louisville in the daylight. I was in search of a new home that does not offer 40 below zero, winters. I am from North Dakota.

What I found was that Kentucky is a mixed bag of culture. Good and bad.

The good: Very friendly and respectful hospitality associates. Well-mannered drivers. Beautiful surroundings (the horses and rolling hills that Kentucky is known for). An expanding culture. A clean and well maintained metro area. Wonderful restaurant choices. And most noticeably, the presence of quite a few of what I call 'quiet' Southerners. (My nice way of saying, not Rednecks.)

The bad: Seemingly uneducated and ill-mannered hospitality associates. Drivers who have to have the biggest, loudest and most souped-up vehicles (trucks and muscle cars) that are ready at the drop of the ladies scarf, to run you right out of Kentucky, if you don't move out of their way. Surroundings that are not so beautiful. (TLC's 'Hoarders' could tape an episode or 100, in front yards alone.) Culture that is stuck in 1865. Restaurant choices that only the South can boast, and should have in small print under their signage: "Eat here and die young." And most noticeably, quite a few of the 'not-so-quiet' Southerners. (My nice way of saying, Rednecks.)

After two days, I realized I will always be a Northerner, who just can't take the bad (what I think is) with the good. So...back onto l-64, headed west (and north) this time.

Kentucky - Northern or Southern State?

Both.

Last edited by savoielorri; 02-21-2018 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky