Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:41 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,173,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Why not? I've been a Cats fan since the late 1950's, they had a bad year...big deal. There's not a school in the history of sports that hasn't had a bad year, or several bad years for that matter. His big dowm fall is he didn't suck up to the media and didn't kiss ass and that ticked a lot of people off.

There is much more to it than just that, but yes he did tick people off. He had some issues from the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:09 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,903,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Welcome to the real world. Politics are part of everything and especially at a school with a basketball history like UK. When you are one of the highest paid people in Kentucky, you better produce and if kissing butt is part of that, you better pucker up, but there seriously was much more to it than that. I know some people closer to the situation, but am not at liberty to discuss it. Some of it will be brought out later I am sure.
I don't really care what happened or why. I just know how the boosters and the UK fans are. I hate the school and the basketball program. I also wonder how many more times WKU will beat them in basketball before UK wimps out of that contract? Hell, they won't even play Murray State. I would send my kid to UT before UK...btw...GO:

http://www.artnbarb.com/uploaded_images/Cards-Logo.Large-719053.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-27-2009, 10:55 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,496,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
There is much more to it than just that, but yes he did tick people off. He had some issues from the beginning.
I know there was more to it than just not winning a title, my daughter works at UK...many years ago I worked for UK also and I know how they operate. In all fairness I think they should have gave the guy ample time to build a good program, he couldn't do that in two years. Like you I won't comment on some of the issues I know about other than there was some big money people involved with him losing his job. For what it's worth I hope he gets every penny of the $6 million buyout.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:45 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Goodbye Billy!

Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,096,362 times
Question Who's next?

The already have two coaches that said nope - Donovan and the whiner from Memphis.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:59 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
The mistake they made is Gillispie had no Kentucky roots in his resume ( asst coach, or former player)

If he did, that would have made his job easier and bought him a little more time.

Go after Ford and offer to make him the highest paid coach in the NCAA.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,791,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I feel sorry for the guy. I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy. You have to put up with a bunch of moronic fans who think they can coach better and unrealisticly expect a national title every year.
You hit the nail right on the head.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The already have two coaches that said nope - Donovan and the whiner from Memphis.

Why would you EVER want to leave Florida for UK? The sun, the beaches, the women...wow!!!

Old 03-28-2009, 08:31 AM

185 posts, read 404,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Why would you EVER want to leave Florida for UK? The sun, the beaches, the women...wow!!!
Uh, Florida is a football school; always has been, always will be. There are only a few schools in the country where a coach can reach the highest level in his profession, and Louisville isn't one of them.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman View Post
Uh, Florida is a football school; always has been, always will be. There are only a few schools in the country where a coach can reach the highest level in his profession, and Louisville isn't one of them.
Sorry, but the NBA is the highest level in the basketball coaching profession, although UK fans seem to think that they are the top of the rung. As far as Florida goes, I stated the reasons as to why Billy Donovan should stay in Florida. That and the fact that they have won two national titles since the last UK title. I would also venture to guess that it is also easier to recruit to Florida then Lexington. See what I said about the women, beaches, sun, etc. There is a reason why Donovan stayed in Florida the first time and I would be willing to bet that the insane Cat fans had something to do with it.

On a sidenote, who has the best basketball (Division I) program in the state? Western or Louisville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky