Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:35 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Please do, its great!
Oh my gosh....I just looked at it. I'm already laughing on the first page. I'll be up all night reading those! Thanks for pointing it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 09:36 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Oh my gosh....I just looked at it. I'm already laughing on the first page. I'll be up all night reading those! Thanks for pointing it out.
lol ok, but don't go complaining to me if you get no sleep. I have a report to write for work, and I am on here instead

Old 05-01-2009, 07:12 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
No offense, but as an outsider who lived in Louisville for 4 years, I can tell you that this provinical thinking is what has held the area back. Without the "iana", Louisville is more in line with Knoxville, TN size wise. It is the greater metro region which allows Louisville to compete economically with similar sized cities like Oklahoma City and Memphis, and even slightly larger cities like Nashville or Indianapolis. That river is nothing more than a political boundary. The northern parts of New Albany, look, feel, and act, no different than SW Louisville, for example. Downtown New Albany and Jeffersonville have enough quaint retail and history to compete with any historic Louisville neighborhood such as Germantown. Louisville city officals have this same provinical thinking. When a company jumps across the river, it should not be viewed as a political issue but a win for the metro area. A company leaving the city could easily relocate outside the metro area, stealing those jobs away.

From a cultural and even sports perspective, S. Indiana IS Louisville. It is a collection of suburbs no different than PRP or Jeffersowntown, only closer to downtown! There is some fight against this provinical thinking:

Wired65 -- Talent Driving Regional Prosperity

If Louisville is to compete in this new gobal economy, its residents need to accept the whole metro area as one. Likewise, the same is true of Cincinnati. Someone who says NKY is a completely separate area from Cincy just has their blinders on.
STX I don't know many people who consider Southern Indiana as part of Kentucky or even Louisville, and I am not sure that that will ever change. I'm stubborn as a mule, I know LOL

Old 05-01-2009, 07:18 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Well same could be said for Kentucky. KY's unemployment rate is higher than Ohio's. As is Indiana and Michigan's. Ohio has made its changes, and we have a diverse economy. Look at Michigan, they are still heavily dependent on the auto industry, and we all know how that is doing. I work for a fortune 500 company that started right here in Dayton back in the 90s. Ohio knew it needed to change its economy, and it did. Being 7th in population, but being 5th in the nation per based fortune 500 company says something. I am not saying it doesnt have its problems, but so does every state.

I do not have time to listen to people's ignorance tonight. I had a rough day at the office, we were busy.

Please don't come on to our forum and call people ignorant. The fact is, unemployment changes monthly, and it is usually lower in KY than OH. The fact is, Ohio having .1% less unemployment than KY for one month does not mean too much, and is probably within the margin of statistical error.

Ohio is in BIG trouble. While KY is not booming like the rest of the south, it sure isn't seeing hundreds of thousands leave the state like Ohio. Population changes don't tell the story like domestic migration patterns. What fascinating results I have for you here:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf

The domestic out migration from Ohio is staggering. What is migration? Well there is a formal definition, but for practical purposes, it looks at where educated American born people move. Look at how the south is booming....it is only a matter of time before KY starts to benefit more, if only state government starts to become more progressive. This list also shows Cincinnati and Cleveland are not faring as well as you claim. Cincinnati is one of the heaviest losers in the domestic in migration game, and much of that loss is to KY as evidenced by the maps on page 11 and 12 of that report. Despite this, I think Cincy will be ok because it has a diverse economy and it is a kick ass city for urban/architecture lovers like myself. However, if you think the situation in Ohio and Michigan is not on the verge of disaster, then that is your opinion, because the facts say otherwise. There is a joke in Michigan: "the last one left, turn the lights off."

Last edited by Peter1948; 05-01-2009 at 07:45 AM..

Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Look at how the south is booming....it is only a matter of time before KY starts to benefit more, if only state government starts to become more progressive.
On one hand I hope we start seeing a boom but on the other, that kind of makes me nervous

Old 05-01-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Wow!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,707 times
Quote:
I wonder if NKY would continue to prosper if all those bridges across the river suddenly collapsed and never got rebuilt. The airport would be worthless, because the vast majority of people that use it go on into Cincinnati. Cincinnatians, however, can still go to Dayton for airport access if the bridges are gone. Aside from that airport, there really is no need for Cincinnatians to go across the river. Frankly, there is nothing over there that we can't already get on THIS side of the river.

Nobody can deny that NKY is inexorably linked to Cincinnati economically. But it’s not a parasite feeding off the Ohio side of the river. There’s plenty of industry in NKY, and quite a few Ohioans come here to work, just as Kentuckians find job opportunities in Ohio. And let’s not forget that nearly a quarter of the region’s population is in NKY.

I think the post above reflects the nature of the relationship between Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati better than any other in this thread, the bolded portion in particular. I’ve lived in this area for nearly 30 years, and this is the attitude I’ve seen from the majority of Ohioans I’ve met (particularly Cincinnati natives). If it weren’t for the airport being over here, they’d probably never cross the river. Oh sure, a few adventurous souls might penetrate as far as some of the dining or entertainment venues in Newport or Covington, where a short dash over the river is all it takes to have them safely back in the Buckeye State. But for many more, there’s some sort of redneck stigma or something that they associate with Kentucky that makes a trip over the river unappealing.

Every job I’ve ever had since I graduated from college twenty years ago has been in or around Cincinnati, but always on the Ohio side of the river. The vast majority of employees at every place I’ve worked have been Ohioans. During my career, I’ve continually taken crap from coworkers for being from Kentucky (the usual toothless, inbred, lack-of-plumbing type of ribbings). While the comments are usually made in jest and are meant to be good natured, they do tend to get old after awhile. A lot of other people who live in NKY get the same flack and see the same kind of conscending attitude towards our side of the river. And the result is that they end up mirroring the Ohio attitude and avoid going to Cincinnati as much as possible. I don’t take it that far, but I do understand what the basis for their sentiment is.

Unless you’re a long-time resident of NKY, you probably wouldn’t be aware of this underlying mutual distain that works like an invisible barrier running along the Ohio river. Not all residents on either side of the river share this sentiment, but the barrier’s there just the same. And this also why Northern Kentuckians get defensive when people from other parts of Kentucky try to lump them in with Cincinnati. We share much with this city, but most of us take much more pride from being Kentuckians.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:15 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf

The domestic out migration from Ohio is staggering. What is migration? Well there is a formal definition, but for practical purposes, it looks at where educated American born people move. Look at how the south is booming....it is only a matter of time before KY starts to benefit more, if only state government starts to become more progressive.
I'm not surprised by those figures. I know several people from Ohio that have recently moved to London. So I'm sure there's lots more that have moved to other parts of Kentucky as well from Ohio.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post

Nobody can deny that NKY is inexorably linked to Cincinnati economically. But it’s not a parasite feeding off the Ohio side of the river. There’s plenty of industry in NKY, and quite a few Ohioans come here to work, just as Kentuckians find job opportunities in Ohio. And let’s not forget that nearly a quarter of the region’s population is in NKY.

I think the post above reflects the nature of the relationship between Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati better than any other in this thread, the bolded portion in particular. I’ve lived in this area for nearly 30 years, and this is the attitude I’ve seen from the majority of Ohioans I’ve met (particularly Cincinnati natives). If it weren’t for the airport being over here, they’d probably never cross the river. Oh sure, a few adventurous souls might penetrate as far as some of the dining or entertainment venues in Newport or Covington, where a short dash over the river is all it takes to have them safely back in the Buckeye State. But for many more, there’s some sort of redneck stigma or something that they associate with Kentucky that makes a trip over the river unappealing.

Every job I’ve ever had since I graduated from college twenty years ago has been in or around Cincinnati, but always on the Ohio side of the river. The vast majority of employees at every place I’ve worked have been Ohioans. During my career, I’ve continually taken crap from coworkers for being from Kentucky (the usual toothless, inbred, lack-of-plumbing type of ribbings). While the comments are usually made in jest and are meant to be good natured, they do tend to get old after awhile. A lot of other people who live in NKY get the same flack and see the same kind of conscending attitude towards our side of the river. And the result is that they end up mirroring the Ohio attitude and avoid going to Cincinnati as much as possible. I don’t take it that far, but I do understand what the basis for their sentiment is.

Unless you’re a long-time resident of NKY, you probably wouldn’t be aware of this underlying mutual distain that works like an invisible barrier running along the Ohio river. Not all residents on either side of the river share this sentiment, but the barrier’s there just the same. And this also why Northern Kentuckians get defensive when people from other parts of Kentucky try to lump them in with Cincinnati. We share much with this city, but most of us take much more pride from being Kentuckians.
You're right...the bolded section of my post does indeed reflect the attitude of people in this area. But I'm only pointing out the obvious in response to what are clear slap-in-the-face insults from Kentuckians who have a disdain for anything north of the river. I don't personally have a disdain for Kentucky. I've often thought about moving over there myself. The only thing....ONLY thing I ever say that might be misconstrued as "anti-Kentucky" is actually a slap against Cincinnati itself, and that's when I contend that Cincinnati needs to get off its ass and get some attractions on the OHIO side of the river instead of letting everything go over to Kentucky. That's it. Period.
Cincinnati's airport is in Kentucky, when it had the chance of being built over here in Blue Ash. But as is typical with Cincinnati, there was a bunch of bickering and failed bond issues, and NKY stepped up to the plate and landed it. Good for Kentucky. Shame on Cincinnati.
Cincinnati had a chance at getting the aquarium, and flubbed. It went to Newport instead. Good for you guys. Shame on Cincinnati for not getting its act together.
Newport got the Hofbrauhaus which was originally planned for Cincinnati, but Cincy couldn't get its act together with the Banks project, so Newport snagged it. Good for Newport. Shame on Cincinnati.
The Kentucky side of the river has some great architecture built, or in the process of being built. Cincinnati settles for red brick boxxy crap on our side (with the exception of Queen City Square), and we still don't know WHAT kind of attractions might be down there at the Banks. My guess is if they choose to go with a famous national chain, somehow they will screw it up and Covington or Newport will grab it.

So don't think I'm anti-Kentucky. What I AM is pissed off that Kentuckians feel the need to rub it in the face of Ohioans that they don't need us. All I was pointing out in return is that Northern Kentucky would not BE where it is without Cincinnati. In no way do I call Kentuckians "rednecks". I don't think that way at all. But Ohio has been directly insulted in this forum by those in Kentucky, and so I'm taking a slap in return. Amazing how you can be so insensitive as to dish it out, but incredibly sensitive when we slap back.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:42 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
So don't think I'm anti-Kentucky. What I AM is pissed off that Kentuckians feel the need to rub it in the face of Ohioans that they don't need us.
Get used to it because it will be happening more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky