Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think I-66 should be built?
Yes 13 52.00%
No 11 44.00%
Other (explain below) 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,907,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
What about I-69? What about I-14, has it been completed? Many more....just too many to list.
I-69, from what I understand, will not look any different than what's there now. At least in the Jackson Purchase area. It will use the Purchase Parkway.

Also, the tree-huggers held up the expansion of 68/80 through LBL. That portion is now completed (finally) awaiting the new bridges over the lakes. I wish the huggers would go away and leave progress alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:40 PM

298 posts, read 596,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I-69, from what I understand, will not look any different than what's there now. At least in the Jackson Purchase area. It will use the Purchase Parkway.

Also, the tree-huggers held up the expansion of 68/80 through LBL. That portion is now completed (finally) awaiting the new bridges over the lakes. I wish the huggers would go away and leave progress alone.
Are the bridges under way? I haven't been out that way in awhile. I plan on a motorcycle trip out that way if it ever warms up...dang it's just Jan 17th. I love to ride 68/80.

I seen a project in this part of the state held up for almost a year so the archeologist could sift dirt through a screen wire. I think all they found was some arrow heads and you can find them all around here just after the farmers plow their ground. I would bet these archeologist were given a grant to do their screen wire work. They not only held up the job but, we had to pay for it and, in the end they didn't accomplish anything. Seems to me someone has their priorities OUT of order.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
Are the bridges under way? I haven't been out that way in awhile. I plan on a motorcycle trip out that way if it ever warms up...dang it's just Jan 17th. I love to ride 68/80.

I seen a project in this part of the state held up for almost a year so the archeologist could sift dirt through a screen wire. I think all they found was some arrow heads and you can find them all around here just after the farmers plow their ground. I would bet these archeologist were given a grant to do their screen wire work. They not only held up the job but, we had to pay for it and, in the end they didn't accomplish anything. Seems to me someone has their priorities OUT of order.
The haven't started just yet, but it has to be soon. They have a website going. Lake Bridges

You should be OK on the old bridges...I hope. I personally try to stay away from them. I have only been on them maybe twice in the past 10+ years. I just hope they don't collapse between now and when the new one's open. They are in terrible shape.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 PM

23,238 posts, read 29,090,099 times
I say, let the bus riders, the hitchhikers, the bicyclists, those that don't own a car, can't even afford one, who are forever dreaming of wasteful highway funds being diverted to subsidize public transportation, weigh in on this discussion.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I say, let the bus riders, the hitchhikers, the bicyclists, those that don't own a car, can't even afford one, who are forever dreaming of wasteful highway funds being diverted to subsidize public transportation, weigh in on this discussion.
They just have...what's your point?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:39 PM

Oh I forgot to mention. There is also a paved bicycle path that spans the east/west part of LBL and will go over the new bridges.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:32 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,491,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
True, but that's America for you. The land that traded all of their (once amazing) passenger railroads & city streetcar lines for the almighty automobile & suburban sprawl. Even Lexington & Louisville once had grand streetcars with dedicated tracks that would take you pretty much anywhere.

Although some states/cities aren't as crappy as others are for this currently & many are making great strides to get some of this infrastructure back. Kentucky isn't one of them though. I think about the best you can do here is live in downtown Louisville where you can walk to a lot of useful things. But they only have buses if you wanna go further. I thought I read they were rebuilding one of their streetcar lines down Bardstown, but haven't heard much else. Lex has dabbled with the notion too.

But yes. If public transportation and/or walkability is your thing, KY isn't your state.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,105,446 times
Lightbulb What your state pays? What your state gets?

This chart summarizes quite well the past 30 years and surprisingly, the numbers don't change much from year to year nor state to state.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/ftsbs-timeseries-20071016-.pdf (broken link)

First, a BIG thank you *kiss* to New Jersey for giving nearly half your Federal tax dollars to fund the other states. New Jersey has remained about $0.57 to $0.70 cents on the dollar. New Jersey and Conneticut trade off between being the #1 giver.

And boo for NewMexico who, for *EVERY* year since 1981, has been number #1 in receiving Federal dollars in return (relative to what they paid in Federal taxes). NewMexico has remained $1.90 to $2.10 on the dollar.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
True, but that's America for you. The land that traded all of their (once amazing) passenger railroads & city streetcar lines for the almighty automobile & suburban sprawl. Even Lexington & Louisville once had grand streetcars with dedicated tracks that would take you pretty much anywhere.

Although some states/cities aren't as crappy as others are for this currently & many are making great strides to get some of this infrastructure back. Kentucky isn't one of them though. I think about the best you can do here is live in downtown Louisville where you can walk to a lot of useful things. But they only have buses if you wanna go further. I thought I read they were rebuilding one of their streetcar lines down Bardstown, but haven't heard much else. Lex has dabbled with the notion too.

But yes. If public transportation and/or walkability is your thing, KY isn't your state.
In my opinion, I know it ain't worth much but, Lexington and Louisville would be less appealing to me if they had streetcars and trains running every where. Could it possibly be that Kentucky and even Louisville and Lexington is right and everywhere else is wrong? We all can't be like California. Just a thought...like I said it's a matter of opinion.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,503,473 times
I am not against I-66 per say, BUT any road built through there must take into account the delicate and rare nature of the landscape. Between Somerset and London lies one of America's last "Wild Rivers" (the Rockcastle River) and probably the fourth largest collection of caves in the world.

Most map routes of I-66 would have it running closely to the existing KY 80 through the Rockcastle River area before moving south towards the London/ Corbin Airport.

Right now I'm not sure there is enough traffic volume on KY 80 to justify a 4 lane interstate to replace it. Honestly it's been many years since I travelled that road. By the same token Somerset's traffic is bad enough that the 4 lane western bypass (actually an extention of KY 914, aka the eastern bypass) was definatly needed to alleviate traffic off US 27, which is as bad as any major aertery in Louisville or Lexington. Some rural road projects are needed, others aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky