Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:14 AM

407 posts, read 1,265,010 times

Advertisements

I think it was set in Georgia and personally, I enjoyed the banjo music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:35 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,496,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beilart View Post
I think it was set in Georgia and personally, I enjoyed the banjo music.
Makes my butt hurt just thinking about that movie! Probably on continuous reruns in San Francisco though!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 AM

Yea, or NYC

Old 10-29-2009, 09:33 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,079,515 times
The song on the movie Deliverance is called Dueling Banjos but in the movie it is a banjo dueling with a guitar ! Below is a picture of the kind of modern Kentucky hillbilly that I like !
I also like the horseshoes picture.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-29-2009, 09:39 AM

Darn! I wish I could dress like that. Sigh! There are just some things ya can't wear when yer in yer 60's

Old 10-29-2009, 10:01 AM

54 posts, read 116,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gercarson View Post
I do not currently live in my home state of Kentucky - but am "Kentucky all over" - and continually offended - no matter how slightly - at all the queries about Kentucky. They all seem to point to us as banjo players who wouldn't be able to find our butts with both hands and our education stops at third grade. We are continually asked really inane questions about our level of participation in the real world and whether or not we might even be capable. Am I being too sensitive? Is Kentucky's image one of being so backward that those who wish to disappear into nothingness can move to Kentucky and be invisible? Anyone else have a vague feeling of being continually "put down" because we are Kentuckians? I'm very proud of who I am and where I am from - for many generations.

As you know, I'm looking at Kentucky. And yes, I did have some questions about it. I hope that most will understand that usually, those that ask are either looking for a fight, or looking for information, not trying to enforce stereotypes.

I'm from New Mexico. When people ask me about OUR stereotypes (Do people speak English there? Can you drink the water? Are the roads paved? DO I NEED A PASSPORT TO GO THERE?? Will I feel like the only white person around? Do I HAVE to drive drunk, beat my girlfriend, and kill her baby to be allowed to live there?) I just try to remember that, like me, all they know is what they hear. I ask because I want to know. I hope they do, too.

Take it as an opportunity to educate. I have enjoyed what I have learned by asking my questions on this site.

Remember: Stereotypes are a real time-saver, but are only accurate some of the time.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:51 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gercarson View Post
I do not currently live in my home state of Kentucky - but am "Kentucky all over" - and continually offended - no matter how slightly - at all the queries about Kentucky. They all seem to point to us as banjo players who wouldn't be able to find our butts with both hands and our education stops at third grade. We are continually asked really inane questions about our level of participation in the real world and whether or not we might even be capable. Am I being too sensitive? Is Kentucky's image one of being so backward that those who wish to disappear into nothingness can move to Kentucky and be invisible? Anyone else have a vague feeling of being continually "put down" because we are Kentuckians? I'm very proud of who I am and where I am from - for many generations.
If you think that is bad, try being black and tell ignorant DC area residents that you are moving to Kentucky. You will get some wild reactions even if you tell them that you are moving to the state's largest city of Louisville. I just stopped trying to explain and justify my move and just say f them. At least I'll be living somewhere where I can rent a good 1 bed for $500 and my neighbors will speak english.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:00 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 284,039 times
Alanboy395,
Just want you to know, most residents of southwest Louisville are tickled to death y'all are coming. We're all pretty proud of Ft. Knox, and I would be really surprised if you are met with anything but the respect you deserve.
This restructuring influx of people and money into Knox is going to be great for my little part of Kentucky.
And, here's another thing. This end of town has been listening to window-rattling booms from the heavy stuff out there for years. We've tolerated it, because it was Knox. But, with the switch to less artillery and more individual stuff, it's going to be soooooooo much quieter...shoot, we love ya!...
You are warmly welcomed Sir!

And to Gercarson's questions...
Quote:
Am I being too sensitive? Is Kentucky's image one of being so backward that those who wish to disappear into nothingness can move to Kentucky and be invisible? Anyone else have a vague feeling of being continually "put down" because we are Kentuckians?
My answer to all three questions would be yes.
First, no state is without it's stereotype. Pick a state, and I bet I can make fun of it...
Second, they can tease us all they want about 'there will never be a CSI: Kentucky...you know, because there are no dental records, and everyone's DNA is the same'...yeah, ha, ha...I admit I laughed. But, the real joke is...Jerry Bruckheimer lives in Kentucky, and that's probably why. So ha for real.
Third, there will always be someone somewhere that wants to 'put you down' for something. Their power is in your response.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:10 PM

181 posts, read 464,892 times
From another that lives near Fort Knox - Agree with Derbycity's responce to Alanboy

Old 11-05-2009, 04:37 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,812,012 times
Let's just say that I'm an eighth-generation Kentuckian and I'm ashamed to be from here at times. I have a slight Southern accent, conservative values, deep Kentucky blood, and a Kentucky education from preschool through college, but the way this state is ran and the behaviors of its people cause me to plainly "bite the hand that feeds me" regularly. I don't see Kentucky's problems of high taxation, poor economic productivity (even during good economic times,) unintelligent and corrupt politicians, poorly operated government, terrible public schools (and their obvious byproducts), and drug and spousal abuse epidemics (and yes, they are epidemics) going away any time soon.

On the bright side, the horse farms around Lexington are beautiful and Cumberland Falls has that cool "moonbow" which I've never seen. Oh, and I like Pine Mountain State Park and have fond memories of visiting grandma in Western KY as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky